Active Duty - Malleable (Tectra) way to go?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Italian2

Re: Active Duty - Malleable (Tectra) way to go?

Postby Italian2 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:49 am

moobiscuits wrote:
implantguy1 wrote:*So now you are going with Rigicon?

*Did dr Hakky try to convince you about the Inflatable? I want to ask for his review when you informed him that you going with malleable. What were his reviews? What are the Negatives he mentioned about the malleable at this young age?

*Have you asked him whether nowadays people are malleable or not?
Thanks.

I am going to take his advice and go with the RIGICON.
Dr. Hakky wanted to know my lifestyle and suggested what was best suited, coming from my military service my shins and feet are pretty damaged so intense running or sports is unfortunately out for me. He didn't try to convince me to go towards the inflatable.

He has been doing these surgeries for over 20 years and is highly rated as one of the top surgeons in the States.
The negatives he told me were: concealability and the loss of a quarter of an inch for length and girth - That was it.
He said for age that many young people only choose the inflatable due to the ease of concealment but he said that the tech for the inflatable is just not there yet in his opinion as you will have 4-5 revisions in the next 10 years versus maybe 1 in 10 year span. But if you don't care about concealment too much and don't plan to do heavy sports etc then the malleable is a fine option he said.

V/R

If a malleable is always kept in the same position, without ever bending it, I think it could last a lifetime.
Or am I wrong?

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:19 am

over all the failure rate of inflatables is about 22 percent.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:00 pm

ready2go wrote:over all the failure rate of inflatables is about 22 percent.

Begging your pardon, I have questions about that statistic. Time to failure is important. Is that an attrition rate or overall failure rate? For example, (as an extreme) the failure rate should be 100% (unless the owner dies first), since all mechanical devices will fail eventually.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:17 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:

Begging your pardon, I have questions about that statistic. Time to failure is important. Is that an attrition rate or overall failure rate? For example, (as an extreme) the failure rate should be 100% (unless the owner dies first), since all mechanical devices will fail eventually.

"The incidence of complications by year after operation showed that most (22 per cent) devices failed within 1 year after implantation, with failure rates gradually decreasing to 6 and 7 per cent during years 4 and 5, respectively."
this is off a internet search . here on frank talk you can type in "revisions" in the search bar to pull up over 2000 posts/replys on the subject . like all mechanical devices they can malfunction
ok . after reading further that was a older study . much older , of 116 implants before 1981 . so i would say not a valid result for today
this is from 2022 A study of 438 consecutive patients who received the AMS 700 CX showed that 82
patients...20.6%....experienced mechanical failure with a median follow-up of 82 months.34 Mechanical survival rates of the penile prosthesis were 97.6%, 93.2%, and 78.2% at 3, 5, and 10 years follow-up, respectively.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:05 pm

ready2go wrote:
Lost Sheep wrote:

"The incidence of complications by year after operation showed that most (22 per cent) devices failed within 1 year after implantation, with failure rates gradually decreasing to 6 and 7 per cent during years 4 and 5, respectively."
this is off a internet search . here on frank talk you can type in "revisions" in the search bar to pull up over 2000 posts/replys on the subject . like all mechanical devices they can malfunction
ok . after reading further that was a older study . much older , of 116 implants before 1981 . so i would say not a valid result for today
this is from 2022 A study of 438 consecutive patients who received the AMS 700 CX showed that 82
patients...20.6%....experienced mechanical failure with a median follow-up of 82 months.34 Mechanical survival rates of the penile prosthesis were 97.6%, 93.2%, and 78.2% at 3, 5, and 10 years follow-up, respectively.

Thank you. That fleshes out the statistic to become a much more useful piece of information.

The modes of failure would be even more useful, too, A pump failure or connector leak is less invasive to repair than a failure of the implant reservoir, for instance. But I have looked for that data to no avail. Pity.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

LastHope

Postby LastHope » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:45 am

Did you go with Dr. Hakky in Atlanta for your Malleable surgery? Would love to hear your updates as I'm considering the same.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:27 pm

AverageBloke wrote:I’m surprised at the 4-5 revisions for inflatables within 10 year comment. Must be due to more frequent use as a young person?

no, the tubes get kinks in them. They break and lose fluid . the pumps malfunction, the cylinders get pinholes in them and leak. Meanwhile, the malleable has virtually no problems as long as it is not oversized.I have only been able to find one that had the interior wire coil break, and that was decades ago. And the concealment "issue" that just means no pumping or deflating .you're always ready to go .
you're flirting with a girlie girl ? Tell her to grab it and see what her toy will be for the night. But it cost much less than an inflatable ans less profit to the doctors . so they push the ipp . mostly only in USA

Txagq8

Postby Txagq8 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:48 pm

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. I love numbers.

There was some interesting factoids buried in this data, and some of them make you go “hmmmm.”

2.4% quit the first year.
6.8% had quit by the end of year 3.
20.6% had quit by the end of 7 years (6 yrs, 10 months to be exact)
21.8% had quit by year 10.

That means that 78.2% of IPPs were still working at year 10…which is the commonly expected lifespan.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

Only 1.2% quit between year 7 & 10. Does that mean past year 7 we are down to a .4% annual attrition rate?

If you get past year 10, and everything is working well (78.2% of guys experience this) then just how long can you expect it to go?

I had this conversation with urologist’s PA. These devices are not like sands thru the hourglass, so are the days of our implant. Like people, they don’t have a specific expiration date.

I had mine done at 63. I’m now 68. If it lasts 10, then I’ll be looking at a revision in a little over 5 years. But if I get past 7 odds are only a 1.2% chance that something will go kaput over the ensuing three years.

I’m really happy with what I got. I’m also a firm advocate of freedom, liberty, and the American way which means if you want a malleable for any reason, by all means get one.

I think the inflatable is more realistic. It works just like my dick did when it was working fairly well. The risk-reward ratio is certainly stacked in my favor.

What we really need to know is age of the implantee, their other health considerations, and percent failure rate beyond year 10.

My next one may very well be a 24 cm CX (do they make one?) with a cm or 2 of RTE?
Robust, adolescent 65 year old. Venous leakage forever. Used shots, shots+pills 30+ years. Married to same wife ~35 yrs. Implanted 31Dec2019 in Austin Tx. AMS 700 LGX 18 cm with 5 cm RTE.

Return to “Implants”