Going to surgery alone

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
newbie443

Re: Going to surgery alone

Postby newbie443 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:45 pm

Antonio1010 wrote:
Rov999 wrote:I went alone..after 1 week I took the plane and came back..no problem the pain is very manageable..no one knows and no one should know anything

Exactly but why one week? My goal is to fly back home the day after surgery max 2.

It is important to stay as flat as possible for the first 48 hours at least. Swelling is an issue. It is also a blood clot issue when flying and being confined setting for a long time. Eid does surgery on Friday and see's men on Monday. Then there is the cath that is removed in many cases. Lots of reasons to wait at least 3 days. You sure don't want to tear thing apart with excessive swelling. As I said I was not cleared for my return flight until Saturday with a Wednesday surgery. You need to follow your doctors instructions. Some doctors are good at speed you can get up and move and other not so much. If I would have stayed local with the low volume doctors I would have had a longer recovery. This is where you do not need to think you know more than the doctor.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Antonio1010

Postby Antonio1010 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:10 pm

newbie443 wrote:
Antonio1010 wrote:
Rov999 wrote:I went alone..after 1 week I took the plane and came back..no problem the pain is very manageable..no one knows and no one should know anything

Exactly but why one week? My goal is to fly back home the day after surgery max 2.

It is important to stay as flat as possible for the first 48 hours at least. Swelling is an issue. It is also a blood clot issue when flying and being confined setting for a long time. Eid does surgery on Friday and see's men on Monday. Then there is the cath that is removed in many cases. Lots of reasons to wait at least 3 days. You sure don't want to tear thing apart with excessive swelling. As I said I was not cleared for my return flight until Saturday with a Wednesday surgery. You need to follow your doctors instructions. Some doctors are good at speed you can get up and move and other not so much. If I would have stayed local with the low volume doctors I would have had a longer recovery. This is where you do not need to think you know more than the doctor.[/quote

I will contact the doctor office and will find out what they suggest. I will follow their instructions. Will they provide medication to avoid blood cloth?

NorCol

My experience

Postby NorCol » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:21 pm

Had initial implant and revision one year later. Same process each time. Left home, by myself, the day before surgery and drove 200 miles to Houston. Spent the night in hotel and next morning took Uber to medical center. Following surgery I was released and took Uber back to hotel. Spent the night in hotel and day after surgery drove myself 200 miles back home. Had no issues driving back each time. Very uneventful.

newbie443

Re: My experience

Postby newbie443 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:15 pm

NorCol wrote:Had initial implant and revision one year later. Same process each time. Left home, by myself, the day before surgery and drove 200 miles to Houston. Spent the night in hotel and next morning took Uber to medical center. Following surgery I was released and took Uber back to hotel. Spent the night in hotel and day after surgery drove myself 200 miles back home. Had no issues driving back each time. Very uneventful.

Did your doctor clear you for driving home the day after surgery?
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

66 years young.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:47 pm

Antonio1010 wrote:[

I will contact the doctor office and will find out what they suggest. I will follow their instructions. Will they provide medication to avoid blood cloth?

After surgery you want blood to clot. You can do a web search on avoiding DVT's (deep vein thrombosis) after surgery and while traveling. That is the reason most doctors have your flat for the first 48 hours then start to get up more. I was getting up to get ice packs as soon as I was back in my hotel room but that was just a step a way and I was back down. The overnight flat on my back was a great help. I had almost no bruising and minor swelling. My flight was long and uncomfortable and there was really no room to move my legs much at all. I did have a lay over to walk to the gate for my next flight and over to get something to eat. If you can get an isle seat so you can get up and down and walk for even a few steps if you have a long flight. I was locked inside on both of my flights and the only way for me to get out was to have the others get up and move out in the isle.

66 years young.

cautiouslyoptimistic

Postby cautiouslyoptimistic » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:13 pm

Dr. Andrew Kramer told me I could drive home the following morning after surgery. He did his best sales pitch and tried everything to get me to come in for the surgery as soon as possible. When i told him I had no ride home and couldn’t stay in a hotel he told me i could drive home an hour and a half distance as long as I didnt take any pain meds that morning. I could barely walk the next day, let alone drive and was still completely out of it (i ended up having someone take me there luckily). I'm almost positive what he did was illegal and a liability for the hospital. He should have his medical license taken, absolute scam artist.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:11 am

cautiouslyoptimistic wrote:Dr. Andrew Kramer told me I could drive home the following morning after surgery. He did his best sales pitch and tried everything to get me to come in for the surgery as soon as possible. When i told him I had no ride home and couldn’t stay in a hotel he told me i could drive home an hour and a half distance as long as I didnt take any pain meds that morning. I could barely walk the next day, let alone drive and was still completely out of it (i ended up having someone take me there luckily). I'm almost positive what he did was illegal and a liability for the hospital. He should have his medical license taken, absolute scam artist.

I like to refer to it as aggressive self promotion. I get a strong feeling of that with Perito and lesser so with Clavell. Even a bit with Hakky and EID. But he seems to think he is so good he can do anything.

I took no narcotic pain meds in the hospital and just Tylenol the morning after for the ride home. The women took me on a tour of the hospital to find a place that had Motrin in the wheel chair and every crack was a jolt. I told her they had it at the hotel but she was determined to save me a dollar. Same jolts with the car ride to the hotel. I was able to walk ok but stairs were a bit slow. Of course I still had the pressure wrap on my scrotum and penis. And stuffed in a jockstrap. Once in my room and undressed and un wrapped I was fine. Narcotic pain meds give me motion type sickness and makes me feel really bad so I only take them if the pain keeps me awake for a couple of days.

Last thing to add is if you are not sent home with a cath you most always have to pee before you can leave.

66 years young.

Tokyo_123

Postby Tokyo_123 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:17 am

I traveled from Tokyo to Houston and back, alone. No big deal. Told the doctor ahead of time. Had extra pain killers just in case, but never used them.
Venous Leakage (which I believe caused by my overuse of the Bathmate VED)

Dr. Clavell, August, 2022. Titan One-Touch, 24cm XL cylinders and trimmed off 0.5cm

Jage64

Postby Jage64 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:26 am

*pro tip: don't drain your bladder fully prior to surgery. Save some in there as your ticket out of the hospital ASAP.

I read here on FT about guys that had to wait hours to pee before they could leave, so I cheated and left the tank half full. I nearly filled the receptacle within 30 minutes after waking up. Also, Dr. Clavell does not typically use a catheter, which results in a much easier recovery and no need to return to see him after the surgery. I communicated with him personally over text, sent pictures and had short, but effective, communication whenever I needed it. I spent about 40 hours in a hotel with ice from my taint to my tip wrapped like a corn dog made of ice.

Got on a plane and flew home, I probably spent 6-7 hours in traveling mode and had little to no pain at all. I never took a prescribed pain med, I just alternated Tylenol and Advil for the first few days and that was it. I could have driven home 24 hours after surgery if I needed to, but I think the constant ice was a large part of why my recovery was easy peasy. I also iced after I got home as much as possible. I had the surgery Wednesday early afternoon, flew home Friday morning and was back in my home office at work for 8 hours on Monday.
2/22/23 AMS 700 CX 21cm + 1.5cm RTEs. 58 yrs old, wife of 37 yrs. Penoscrotal. 100ml Conceal reservoir. Dr. Clavell. Pills failing and went right to implant, skipped the injections. 12 mos. later: 7 1/2" x 5 3/4"

Rov999

Postby Rov999 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:30 pm

Antonio1010 wrote:

because I had a complicated 3/4 hour operation... the doctor wanted to keep me under observation in hospital for 5 days... giving me antibiotics and dressing my incision
Titan otr 22 +3 rte, tep + graft at the base,16 August 2023

Return to “Implants”