Prostate Cancer survivor and a Future implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
CuzznClark

Re: Prostate Cancer survivor and a Future implant

Postby CuzznClark » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:46 am

CuzznClark wrote:Per the subject line:
I had a radical robotic proctectomy 2.5 years ago. Surgery went very well but ED got worse. Pills no longer worked for me after surgery. VED helped but needed more help so tried Trimix and that has been working very well for me for the past 15 months. However; I am about to start my 2nd prostate cancer chapter. They have caught some bio-chemical recurrence at a very early stage. I have just begun a new 6 month treatment plan that includes ADT Hormone Therapy, plus 2months of radiation midway thru the ADT. I know that unless I am proactive I would experience shrinkage (and a further ED hit) during the next 6 months.

So my plan is as follows:
1) continue daily use of the VED
2) I have an appointment with Dr. Levin in Chicago next month for two reasons, A- to get his advice on a regimen for penile health for the next 6 months, and B- start the discussions on an implant once this next treatment period is complete.

2024 may be the year I join the bionic brotherhood. Frank Talk has been an excellent resource for me and I welcome any/all comments

Update; Looking forward to my appointment this afternoon with Dr. Levine. Will report back here in the next few days
67 yrs old, married ro my beautiful wife for 43 years..oral meds did the job beginning at 58 until undergoing RPS at age 64, Trimix worked until it didn't. Implanted with 20cm Titan (no RTEs) by Dr Levine on 3/18/24

jwitten567

Postby jwitten567 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:20 pm

fellow prostate cancer survivor here. didn't have much leakage after surgery, but pretty bad ED. as mentioned above - all key questions to ask Dr. Levin

agree - this has been a great resource for me and have really trying to pay it forward by posting more.
Radical Prostatectomy in 2015; failed pills, straight to Coloplast Titan in 2019 by Dr. Valenzuela in NYC, Replaced with AMS 700 CX in 2022 by Dr. Darshan Patel in San Diego, CA. Wish I jumped to an implant even before prostate cancer!

RayChez

Postby RayChez » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:54 pm

I also had my prostrate removed because I had a small spot close to the prostrate in the urethra about quarter inch in size. The surgeon gave me several options on what to do about the cancer. He said radiation was like a micro wave beam which would actually burn the spot and that there was the possibility of some bleeding later in life. He also mentioned surgery by removing a couple of inches of the urethra pull it back together and reconnecting it, but he was also suspicious of the prostrate, so he removed it and also some lymph node glands around the area where the cancer would spread IF it ever did. So the surgery was done and the cancer was removed, it was a stage one cancer. So ED set in and first he tried the blue pills which were not working, then the caverject which was not for me at all, just too painful. So then it was the three piece by AMS 700 Ultrex, which worked for around fifteen years. Lost about an inch which left me with a seven inch length and 5.4 girth. Revision was with the LGX which was fantastic giving me my original length back of eight and now with the twenty percent LGX gives it is almost nine inches. And it looks about as normal as it could be and has really served its purpose well. LGX will give you twenty percent more length, Titan will not, but if a person is happy, that is all that matters.
age: 75 First implant around 2001, 59 at the time. AMS 700 Ultrex
revision Dec 2016. 2ND implant 21CM, 1rte AMS 700 LGX MS pump

CuzznClark

Postby CuzznClark » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:07 pm

RayChez wrote:I also had my prostrate removed because I had a small spot close to the prostrate in the urethra about quarter inch in size. The surgeon gave me several options on what to do about the cancer. He said radiation was like a micro wave beam which would actually burn the spot and that there was the possibility of some bleeding later in life. He also mentioned surgery by removing a couple of inches of the urethra pull it back together and reconnecting it, but he was also suspicious of the prostrate, so he removed it and also some lymph node glands around the area where the cancer would spread IF it ever did. So the surgery was done and the cancer was removed, it was a stage one cancer. So ED set in and first he tried the blue pills which were not working, then the caverject which was not for me at all, just too painful. So then it was the three piece by AMS 700 Ultrex, which worked for around fifteen years. Lost about an inch which left me with a seven inch length and 5.4 girth. Revision was with the LGX which was fantastic giving me my original length back of eight and now with the twenty percent LGX gives it is almost nine inches. And it looks about as normal as it could be and has really served its purpose well. LGX will give you twenty percent more length, Titan will not, but if a person is happy, that is all that matters.

RayChez, The first half of your story sounds very familiar. It is good to hear about another happy implant owner!
67 yrs old, married ro my beautiful wife for 43 years..oral meds did the job beginning at 58 until undergoing RPS at age 64, Trimix worked until it didn't. Implanted with 20cm Titan (no RTEs) by Dr Levine on 3/18/24

CuzznClark

Postby CuzznClark » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:15 pm

So i had my meeting with Dr. Levine and his associate yesterday. It went very well, Dr. Levine answered all my questions and is a very down to earth doctor! After the exam; I asked about Titan versus AMX, and he said the choice was mine, but he leaned towards the Titan (mentioning the girth factor). My experience and comfort level was such that we went ahead and have scheduled my implant date for 3/18/24, 3 months after my current cancer treatment is finished. And by coincidence that will be exactly 3 years to the day after my prostate was removed

Witheringhog

Postby Witheringhog » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:42 pm

CuzznClark wrote:Per the subject line:
I had a radical robotic proctectomy 2.5 years ago. Surgery went very well but ED got worse. Pills no longer worked for me after surgery. VED helped but needed more help so tried Trimix and that has been working very well for me for the past 15 months. However; I am about to start my 2nd prostate cancer chapter. They have caught some bio-chemical recurrence at a very early stage. I have just begun a new 6 month treatment plan that includes ADT Hormone Therapy, plus 2months of radiation midway thru the ADT. I know that unless I am proactive I would experience shrinkage (and a further ED hit) during the next 6 months.

So my plan is as follows:
1) continue daily use of the VED
2) I have an appointment with Dr. Levin in Chicago next month for two reasons, A- to get his advice on a regimen for penile health for the next 6 months, and B- start the discussions on an implant once this next treatment period is complete.

2024 may be the year I join the bionic brotherhood. Frank Talk has been an excellent resource for me and I welcome any/all comments

Sorry to hear, wish you the best. I would go with hanging weights, all day stretching device and ved if it was me. Something like the bib hanger, jess extender and ved. I did all three at different times of my life, ved is the only thing that injured me, i didnt have the new nice ones with the pressure gage and way over did it. Just go easy on your unit and god speed on a cancer recovery.
49 - Coloplast Titan 22 implanted 5-2 Dr. Clavell in Houston

CuzznClark

Postby CuzznClark » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:55 am

@witheringhog
Thank you for the Input and wishes.
As for this latest cancer treatment - I am confident in the plan going forward!

Rider1400

Postby Rider1400 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:37 am

Have to make mention on an earlier post. Just because one implant can stretch 20% doesn’t by any means say you’ll a get 20% longer than pre surgery. If properly sized, a Titan can get you back to your pre surgery size just as well. What an implant that stretches out 20% more will do is give you a 20% smaller flaccid. This sounds good to me, but the flaccid length of my Titan hasn’t been an issue at all. I even enjoy the shower aspect of my implant. What I do like about my Titan is that its track record is flawless as far as the part that goes in your cavernous tissue. As Dr Eid says… he’s practically never seen the part that goes in your penis itself fail in an implant. It’s usually the pump, or tubing that goes from resivour to the pump or tubing from pump to implant that fails. Either would be a good option rather than the ED I faced for over 10 years.
58year old ED started mid 40s pills failed after 10 years. Injections works but diminishing results with pain. Implanted 5-22 Baylor,Scott,and White Dallas.Dr Michael Wierschem, infrapubic Coloplast 20cm and 1cm RTE. Going strong and loving it!

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:59 am

RayChez wrote:I also had my prostrate removed because I had a small spot close to the prostrate in the urethra about quarter inch in size. The surgeon gave me several options on what to do about the cancer. He said radiation was like a micro wave beam which would actually burn the spot and that there was the possibility of some bleeding later in life. He also mentioned surgery by removing a couple of inches of the urethra pull it back together and reconnecting it, but he was also suspicious of the prostrate, so he removed it and also some lymph node glands around the area where the cancer would spread IF it ever did. So the surgery was done and the cancer was removed, it was a stage one cancer. So ED set in and first he tried the blue pills which were not working, then the caverject which was not for me at all, just too painful. So then it was the three piece by AMS 700 Ultrex, which worked for around fifteen years. Lost about an inch which left me with a seven inch length and 5.4 girth. Revision was with the LGX which was fantastic giving me my original length back of eight and now with the twenty percent LGX gives it is almost nine inches. And it looks about as normal as it could be and has really served its purpose well. LGX will give you twenty percent more length, Titan will not, but if a person is happy, that is all that matters.

It is good to hear from someone that had an implant that lasted 15years. My dad had a very early version (1987) that was still working when he passed 13 years later.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Return to “Implants”