HIMS vs Oral Finasteride after implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
FinallyBionic

HIMS vs Oral Finasteride after implant

Postby FinallyBionic » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:16 am

As you see in my signature, I am implanted almost 2 years ago, and had RP before 5 years.
In order to stop further hair loss, I contacted my Uro about a year ago about using Finasteride (Propecia). He said there are no worries about that. I used it for about 6 months and felt good results on my hair.
When I knew about HIMS (Topical solution containing both finasteride and minoxidil), I thought it is a good idea to switch to it, to avoid decrease in sex drive and gland engorgement. I am now using this solution in the past 2 and 1/2 months.
I am wondering if this topical treatment has the same side effects of oral finasteride, or since it is topical it won't affect the same.
HIMS costs $45/month, which is more than double the price of Finasteride for me.
Finally Bionic
1969. RP Oct. 2017. Pills and Trimix didn't work. Inguinal hernia repair on both sides. AMS CX 21 cm+1 RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at Kaiser, VA, Jan. 2021. FT member since July 2020 as AST2123. See my previous 457 posts.

Anonymous FT Member

Re: HIMS vs Oral Finasteride after implant

Postby Anonymous FT Member » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:04 pm

If you search good enough, you will likely find some information claiming that both substances can possibly cause erection problems. However you have the implant, so I would think all your ED troubles have been fixed to your liking. Unfortunately a lot of us guys lose our hair. I'm not sure why exactly, but we do. I know I won't be using finasteride any time soon for my hair loss. You can read it's used for transgender male to female hormonal treatment.

Also you have to realize that just because you're not taking it orally, you're still applying it to your scalp and it gets absorbed that way. I've seen Roman hair loss treatment at Walmart on the clearance aisle.

slipnslider

Postby slipnslider » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:32 pm

HIMS is basically just minoxodil and finasteride sold by an online company.

Finasteride is propecia, and causes impotence for many men. Its what started my ED problems.

BUT if you're bionic anyway, you wont have ED problems anymore, HOWEVER you are still screwing your whole body's chemistry to change the hair follicles on your head. Finasteride is known to cause moodiness and clouded judgement. Just look what it did to trump.
44, ED problems began around age 28 when I was on finasteride for hair loss, and also got circumcised so I lost a lot of sensation. Pills gave me bad headaches and other side effects. Now using trimix 30/1/20. So far so good.

FinallyBionic

Postby FinallyBionic » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:55 pm

Thanks, guys, for your inputs!
I have used finasteride about 15 years ago, for less than a year. I stopped it after that when my wife and I were trying to conceive, as it can cause birth defects.
For now, I know it won't cause ED with the implant, but I am worried about other side effects. Merk isn't clear about the side effects and their duration. Some studies suggest that effects could be lifelong. They won't subside when stopping the medication.
On the other hand, I understand that it is the best product that can stop hair loss, by blocking the DHT hormone. Difficult to decide.
Finally Bionic
1969. RP Oct. 2017. Pills and Trimix didn't work. Inguinal hernia repair on both sides. AMS CX 21 cm+1 RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at Kaiser, VA, Jan. 2021. FT member since July 2020 as AST2123. See my previous 457 posts.

SwissTalk

Postby SwissTalk » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:10 am

I used finasterise for several years without any issues. It was only in my fifth year in, when my ED problems startet. I never thought that I could get side effects after years and that they could persist even when you quit the drug. Little did I know. Now I know that all kind of finasteride side effects are very real.
You fixed the ed problem, but if you read through the propecia help forum, you'll find quite a lot of guys who ended up with mental side effects. Although they are rare, in my opinion it is not worth the risk, just to keep some hair.
34, ED due to venous leak caused by finasteride (PFS syndrome)
Implanted June 2023 by Dr. Hakky
Titan 22 cm, no RTE, penoscrotal

FinallyBionic

Postby FinallyBionic » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 am

SwissTalk wrote:I used finasterise for several years without any issues. It was only in my fifth year in, when my ED problems startet. I never thought that I could get side effects after years and that they could persist even when you quit the drug. Little did I know. Now I know that all kind of finasteride side effects are very real.
You fixed the ed problem, but if you read through the propecia help forum, you'll find quite a lot of guys who ended up with mental side effects. Although they are rare, in my opinion it is not worth the risk, just to keep some hair.

Scary :( . I may stick to minoxidil.
Finally Bionic

slipnslider

Postby slipnslider » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:50 pm

FinallyBionic wrote:Thanks, guys, for your inputs!
I have used finasteride about 15 years ago, for less than a year. I stopped it after that when my wife and I were trying to conceive, as it can cause birth defects.
For now, I know it won't cause ED with the implant, but I am worried about other side effects. Merk isn't clear about the side effects and their duration. Some studies suggest that effects could be lifelong. They won't subside when stopping the medication.
On the other hand, I understand that it is the best product that can stop hair loss, by blocking the DHT hormone. Difficult to decide.

Like you, I fought hair loss for decades. My dad was bald and I really didn't want to look like that. I spent thousands and thousands on fake shampoos, lasers, oils, you name it. Finasteride chemically neutered me, gave me ED, and turned me into an anti social hermit for years. Now I can have sex and date, but I have to use ED medication for the rest of my life or get an implant. I wish I'd have just accepted going bald in the first place, which I finally did last year when I buzzed my hair off, after being encouraged to do so by my girlfriend. Now I dont look better than I did with hair, but I dont look bad. My gorgeous GF says it's actually an improvement and I have a good head shape for the bald look. Yes, going bald makes you turn invisible to many women, but not all women. If I had to choose between baldness and impotence, I'd definitely pick baldness. What's the point of having great hair to attract a woman if you can't have sex with her?
44, ED problems began around age 28 when I was on finasteride for hair loss, and also got circumcised so I lost a lot of sensation. Pills gave me bad headaches and other side effects. Now using trimix 30/1/20. So far so good.

Return to “Implants”