Choosing your surgeon

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
SW0110

Re: Choosing your surgeon

Postby SW0110 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:37 pm

Wow. This brings me back to my first implant almost 3 years ago. My implant surgeon was my 4th urologist. My third was a urologist at a big central KY teaching hospital that wears a lot of blue.

That teaching hospital uro never would just give up how many he did. After pressing it was just this is a standard surgery and any competent uro could do it. He injected me to see about an erection. Took three times. Then my peyronies curve had the head of my dick was curved around and pointing at my belly button. Then about 3 students came into the room. They wanted to take pictures. Like a peyronies curve was unique.

FYI. If that doc is in that or. He is doing the surgery. But does an intern open you up. Or the most important part is measuring. Whose measuring. How about tubing placement. Pump placement. Closing you up. Drains. Etc.

Nope not doing teaching. I want one guy I can go to. If something goes wrong. I can point to him. Not him and three interns. I also want total transparency and information.

My first implant was done about 3 hours away. Uro did about 75 a year. Hernia surgery and a punctured reservoir about a year later. Now I need a removal and replacement as well as the hernia surgeon on call just in case. Went local for that one. My uro did a great job. He was up front. Not a lot of experience in implants but talked to me for a long time about it. I put my faith in him. I educated him about me and my expectations.

So all went well. 2 years in a couple weeks since the replacement. My uro is now upping his game and last check up asked where he was on implants. A solid 1 to 1.5 a week. Sometimes more.

So my first one was pretty much an implant surgeon in my area. Second was my local uro 30 minutes from house. I would have no issue letting him do another one. But I still do not want an intern touching me at all. I know they need to learn. Just not on me. If a teaching hospital wants an intern in the room to help with anything. They should not be charging for it. Then if you are not happy you have no case with them.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:15 am

SW0110 wrote:Wow. This brings me back to my first implant almost 3 years ago. My implant surgeon was my 4th urologist. My third was a urologist at a big central KY teaching hospital that wears a lot of blue.
That teaching hospital uro never would just give up how many he did. After pressing it was just this is a standard surgery and any competent uro could do it. He injected me to see about an erection. Took three times. Then my peyronies curve had the head of my dick was curved around and pointing at my belly button. Then about 3 students came into the room. They wanted to take pictures. Like a peyronies curve was unique.
FYI. If that doc is in that or. He is doing the surgery. But does an intern open you up. Or the most important part is measuring. Whose measuring. How about tubing placement. Pump placement. Closing you up. Drains. Etc.
Nope not doing teaching. I want one guy I can go to. If something goes wrong. I can point to him. Not him and three interns. I also want total transparency and information.
My first implant was done about 3 hours away. Uro did about 75 a year. Hernia surgery and a punctured reservoir about a year later. Now I need a removal and replacement as well as the hernia surgeon on call just in case. Went local for that one. My uro did a great job. He was up front. Not a lot of experience in implants but talked to me for a long time about it. I put my faith in him. I educated him about me and my expectations.
So all went well. 2 years in a couple weeks since the replacement. My uro is now upping his game and last check up asked where he was on implants. A solid 1 to 1.5 a week. Sometimes more.
So my first one was pretty much an implant surgeon in my area. Second was my local uro 30 minutes from house. I would have no issue letting him do another one. But I still do not want an intern touching me at all. I know they need to learn. Just not on me. If a teaching hospital wants an intern in the room to help with anything. They should not be charging for it. Then if you are not happy you have no case with them.

I love the standard surgery & competent part. Just how hard can it be? After all, the implant comes with an instruction booklet. Lets see, the LGX instructions give a measuring formula that it appears the better surgeons ignore. At least one Titan surgeon (Eid) is willing to modify the implant to reduce the use of RTE's. I'd like the page & paragraph of that info. I'm not advocating that the standard surgery & competent skill pool is shallow. But I don't think its as deep as some members think. In the big picture, a man must have a level of confidence in his selected surgeon.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

brianroa7

Postby brianroa7 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:11 pm

I have been given assurance that no one else other than my surgeon will do any surgery. It's in the release. I can also give up that clause if I agree that residents can work on my. I will NOT be doing that. They may have observers and may take pictures or video that doesn't identify me. I'm absolutely fine with that. I had the same deal with my cancer treatment. The only interactions I had with students was at consultations and tests. The closest thing to a resident doing surgery on me was a letting a resident do an injection for an ultrasound. My doctor was right there and talked her through it. She told me it was her third one. She did it perfectly! I realize that's a big difference from implant surgery, but that's not going to happen with me. I guess I could be out and never know what really happened but if I can't feel enough trust my doctor when he tells me he performs the surgery, I'd be looking for another surgeon.
58, implanted with 22 cm Titan (no RTE's) on April 1, 2022. Complete ED started after High Dose Rate Brachytherapy for prostate cancer. Tried everything else first but nothing worked. Wonderfully supportive wife!

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:52 pm

It just pays to be careful with teaching hospitals.

My wife had a piece of her skull about the size of a half dollar to do some surgery above her inner ear.

Renowned brain surgeon from teaching hospital. Great brain guy.

Op notes mentioned 3 interns who cut, sliced, one put the titanium pins in that hold the cover on her skull. One pin sticks out. Seems doc overseeing must have been asleep.

The absolute only thing you should consider is are you comfortable with your surgeon.

I was with both of mine.

Best.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Return to “Implants”