Anyone Here Had An Implant Replaced Years Down the Road?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Alniter

Anyone Here Had An Implant Replaced Years Down the Road?

Postby Alniter » Mon May 24, 2021 1:36 pm

Hi, folks, my story is long but the question kind of requires the explanation. I appreciate your indulgence.

I have major ED problems that began as a side effect of taking Finasteride for BPH for years - my urologist failed to mention it as a side effect until it was a done deal. I had a Urolift procedure two years ago, which took care of the BPH. A year later my large ejaculations and even "pre-cum" were back (hadn't had 'pre' in so long I'd forgotten to expect it) but I only had a partial ED recovery, it's very unpredictable but nearly always there to some degree. I can get good but not fantastic results from pills, but have everything from days of headaches and body aches after to migraines, my first in 40 years. Not good, and in my mind, not worth it. My present urologist tried an injection and his verdict was "harder, but not rigid", and both the thought and its cost are big turn-offs for me.

The one good surprise about Finasteride is that another side effect was reversal of long-term male pattern baldness. I got so used to having hair again that I indulged the half-mohawk I'd always wanted to try, and got so many friends and strangers speaking up in admiration that I have kept it for two years now.

As my baldness started creeping in again, my GP assured me that low-dose Finasteride (much lower than I'd taken for BPH) could still be used for my baldness without the side effects of larger doses. Boy, was he wrong - ejaculatory volume dried to a trickle within three months, and it seems the ED is getting worse again, so the thought of an implant is once again in my mind. My longsuffering partner (we've been together nearly 20 years) says he's OK with how things are, but I can't help but feel I'm being selfish by choosing hair over his (and therefore also my) satisfaction physically.

As I've researched the possibilities, one thing that keeps coming up is the average "life" of an implant. Ten years or so seems to be the consensus of doctors I've read reports from. Is there anyone here who's had an implant long enough to have to replace it just from old age, rather than sooner from a defect? If so, what is it like to go through that twice? Is it worth it to make such a drastic change for something with a limited shelf-life, as it were?
Early 60s with partner of nearly 20 years (soon to be hubby), PFS and no tolerance for ED pill side effects (migraine, anyone? no? didn't think so.)

"The nice thing about true hopelessness is that you don't have to try again." - Jules Shear

Lost Sheep

Re: Anyone Here Had An Implant Replaced Years Down the Road?

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon May 24, 2021 2:25 pm

Welcome to the forum. Your question is one legitimately on the mind of anyone relying on a mechanical device for any reason (dishwasher, car, wheelchair etc) but doubly so for one that requires surgery for replacement (cochlear implant, penile implant, pacemaker, etc).

One thing that bears on answers is your age. If you create a signature with a few of your germane statistics, that would help us help you with more informed answers.

The thing that made my decision for implant was that if the implant did not work, I would be no worse off than if I did not get the implant. So, there was little downside to trying. Sex was partially satisfactory limited to oral (I am heterosexual) and for you, bottoming and oral MIGHT be satisfactory and allows you to avoid the risks and expenses of surgery. That is a question only you and your partner(s) can decide. For me, I felt I owed a lot of orgasms to women I had short-changed in my life, so when an implant became available, there was no doubt. Service life of the implant was not a major issue. My parents lived long enough to suggest I have genes to allow me another 20 years of life (leading to the potential for a replacement/revision), but even if I outlived the one, the sex would be worth it, so I went for it.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

ViaSwiss

Postby ViaSwiss » Mon May 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Alniter, I have PFS and am getting and implant in a month. Have you ever had a doppler ultrasound to see if you have venous leak?
Age 37. Venous Leakage & Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) since age 18.
Original Implant | June 25, 2021 | 20cm Titan w 1.5cm & 1cm RTEs
Revision | November 16, 2021 | 26cm | Dr. Hakky

Alniter

Postby Alniter » Mon May 24, 2021 4:59 pm

ViaSwiss wrote:Alniter, I have PFS and am getting and implant in a month. Have you ever had a doppler ultrasound to see if you have venous leak?

Urologist says my problem is penile arteriosclerosis (hardening of arteries) caused as a side effect of...ta da!...Finasteride.

And apologies for the scant bio details to the previous replier. I am 62 (for one more week!)
Early 60s with partner of nearly 20 years (soon to be hubby), PFS and no tolerance for ED pill side effects (migraine, anyone? no? didn't think so.)

"The nice thing about true hopelessness is that you don't have to try again." - Jules Shear

Return to “Implants”