About to take the plunge!

Sticking a needle Where? Courage, guidance and help.
NolaVette

Re: About to take the plunge!

Postby NolaVette » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:18 am

I was set to do my first injection today (Saturday). I had to delay doing it earlier this week because of out-of-town work. But now after thinking about the possibility of an ER visit on a weekend as opposed to a visit to the urology clinic on Monday I've decided to wait till then to do it. Besides, an office visit co-charge is a lot cheaper than ER visit charge.

I bought an Autoject II (Owen Mumford AJ 1300 Autoject 2 Injection Aid Device Fixed Needle-$30 from Amazon) and plan to give it a try after doing it manually the first time.

Steve
NolaVette
Age 55--Da Vinci prostatectomy Sept. 6, 2011
Nov. 7th, 2011-First Alprostadil injection-100% erection-1 hour- with pain
Using 7 units (.07 ml) Bi-mix with no pain
Things are working naturally now after about a year and a half. No more injections for me.

Cajun Jeff

Postby Cajun Jeff » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:51 am

Steve that is not a bad plan. Some of the guys have done the first injection at home in the early morning and had a chance to start the day off with a bang just incase they needed to call the Uro about making a visit to the Uro to bring the bad boy down. :)

You should not have a problem but you never know! :oops:

Cajun Jeff
68 years old, Married 48 years. Prostate Cancer surgery 11 years ago. Tried Pills, VED, moved to injections (EdEx) for past 6 years. Implanted with AMS 700 LGX by Dr Hellstrom in New Orleans at Tulane Medical. 1/13/20

NolaVette

Postby NolaVette » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:21 am

Hey Jeff,

I tend be a bit paranoid about things and I'm also a believer in Murphy's Law not to mention the desire to avoid being forced to hang out in an ER on a Saturday here in New Orleans. Not a fun place to be.

Steve
NolaVette
Things are working naturally now after about a year and a half. No more injections for me.

NolaVette

Re: About to take the plunge!-SUCCESS! Sort of.

Postby NolaVette » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:07 am

I was finally able to do the first injection with .25ml of Alprostadil (20mcg per ml strength) at 8am this morning. Within 15 minutes I had a nice full 100% erection, BUT-I also had some fairly substantial pain along with it. I took a couple of Ibuprofen to help ease the discomfort but they didn't help much. Right now at about 10am everything seems to be back to normal. Erection and pain have subsided. I'd say the dosage is perfect but I think the pain will be a disincentive to shoot up again with this drug unless there is a decrease in pain after using it a number of times. Does anyone know if this might be the case with Caverject (Alprostadil)? Or will I definitely have to switch to Bi-mix or Tri-mix.

Steve
NolaVette

antelope

Postby antelope » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Steve,

I don't have any experience with Caverject or "unimix", but I've heard stories like yours. I've never had any pain from trimix. Little G was a bit sore after the first few shots, but it was a "good kind of sore"--like sore muscles after a good workout. I chalked it up to stretching out that tissue which had been just hanging around for way too long.

I'm sure others with direct experience with Caverject will reply. Hang tight.

Greg
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

NolaVette

Postby NolaVette » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Hey Greg,

I know the "good kinda sore" you're talking about. I had the minor "dull ache" once the major pain subsided after an hour. I'm hoping to get some insight from other Caverject users before I throw in the towel on this stuff.

Thanks,

Steve
NolaVette

antelope

Postby antelope » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I think Cajun Jeff used Caverject at one time. He can report in when they get back from their cruise. I'm going to be in Kenner tomorrow. Wish I had some free time and I'd invite you to lunch. Maybe another time.

G
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

NolaVette

Postby NolaVette » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:31 am

Greg,

I ran across Jeff's postings from back in 2009 concerning Caverject he was using at the time. He also mentioned a number of times that he had no pain with Caverject and liked it just fine. His biggest problem was the high cost because insurance did not cover it. My insurance (BCBSLA) pays for it with a $45 co-pay. I'm guessing they won't cover tri or bi-mix if or when I have to switch to one of them. I'm gonna give the Alprostadil one more try before calling the doc about the pain, but I'll take about 3 Advil about a half hour before shooting up to see if that helps.
Let me know next time you get down here. I'd definitely like to hook up for lunch some time.

Steve
NolaVette

NolaVette

Postby NolaVette » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Today I decided to give the Alprostadil (Caverject) another try. An hour before the injection I took 3 Advil tablets in an attempt to reduce the pain I experienced the first time I tried the Alprostadil. Also, I was also to try out the AutoJect II I bought, which worked great. I reduced the dosage to .2ml from the original .25ml because I got a solid 100% erection that lasted more than an hour in hopes that a lower dosage would mean less pain. Neither the Advil nor the lower dosage helped, in fact the pain was a good bit more severe than the first injection, but I did get solid 100% wood for an hour and 45 minutes, although it was a very painful erection until it finally went soft. The pain goes away as soon as the erection does. So, I'll be having a chat with the doc about switching to one of the mixes.

Steve
NolaVette

JimStars

Postby JimStars » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Nova,

Sorry to hear you are having no good luck with Caverject. That seems to happen quite a lot for people who use pure PGE-1 (alprostadil). Trimix or Bimix might be the way to go. But, I did have one other thought. Have you been using a pump to keep things 'inflatable' and periodically stretched? Even a month or two of no erection can get little nova out of shape. Maybe you are just having pains because willie is not used to being stretched "to infinity and beyond" (even to the hardness limits from when you were a teenager -- sometimes we forget in our old age about the ache that some of those hard-ons produced). I've used a pump regularly since a month after RRP and have seldom had any aches from pure PGE-1 in MUSE or 50 mcg/ml strength Trimix or regular strength Trimix. Just something to consider?

J
RP 2008 ... MUSE 2008-9 .. TriMix Gel 2009 .. Trimix 2009-2015 ... PGE-1 2016-2019 ..Misoprostal 2019 Onward. All worked.

Return to “Injections”