Vacation to Caribbean, how to get my juice there? HELP

Sticking a needle Where? Courage, guidance and help.
Richard1954

Vacation to Caribbean, how to get my juice there? HELP

Postby Richard1954 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:37 pm

OK,
I've been doing some searches and have not come up with anything so here is the question.
How do I get my TriMix/BiMix to the Caribbean's from the states?
I figure I need to put in my check baggage with ice packs around. The trip will be 5.5 hours and several hours before we leave and several hours before we get to the resort. Most likely 10 to 12 hours in total.

Is there something better that ice packs?
Am I missing something?

2nd question is, will there be trouble getting through Customs with my TriMix/BiMix in my check baggage?????
I know I can't be the only one needing to get my Juice to the Caribbean's.

Thanks Guys, the info received here on the web site is priceless!
Richard

dg_moore

Re: Vacation to Caribbean, how to get my juice there? HELP

Postby dg_moore » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:45 am

How about a diabetic travel pack, like this - http://www.amazon.com/Diabetic-Cooler-O ... roduct_top

There are lots like this available inexpensively.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

once a writer

Postby once a writer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:56 am

Earlier this year I took a trip from Oregon to Belize. Before going I purchased a Frio cooling pack. You can see them at . . .
http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com

The reusable two-part pack comes in several sizes. It includes an inner liner that is soaked in water, which activates some hard material inside and converts it to gel. The Frio setup then becomes an evaporative cooler. On the Belize trip I filled the Frio pack with pre-loaded syringes and then placed it in my checked-in luggage. It worked just fine. We had refrigeration in our vacation unit, so I needed the Frio pack only for the air travel time, about 14 hours. I've since used it successfully on other trips.

I did not do anything special in terms of labeling the Frio pack for TSA. However, you can find other posts on FT where users say they've made a point of labeling their meds for TSA inspectors.
Eugene, Oregon, USA. Born 1941. Married 1968. ED since mid-1990s. Began trimix January 2014. Dosage gradually increased over time. Added cock ring in 2016. After dosage reached 30 units, switched to quad mix in May 2018. On blood pressure meds.

stanri

Postby stanri » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:28 pm

once a writer wrote:Earlier this year I took a trip from Oregon to Belize. Before going I purchased a Frio cooling pack. You can see them at . . .

The reusable two-part pack comes in several sizes. It includes an inner liner that is soaked in water, which activates some hard material inside and converts it to gel. The Frio setup then becomes an evaporative cooler. On the Belize trip I filled the Frio pack with pre-loaded syringes and then placed it in my checked-in luggage. It worked just fine. We had refrigeration in our vacation unit, so I needed the Frio pack only for the air travel time, about 14 hours. I've since used it successfully on other trips.

I did not do anything special in terms of labeling the Frio pack for TSA. However, you can find other posts on FT where users say they've made a point of labeling their meds for TSA inspectors.

Have used the frio insulin cooling case when I drove to Florida last year. 3 days going too Florida, 4 days coming back. Just refreshed the pack every night in the motel, and stored it in the room refrigerator. Works much better than I ever thought it would. 14-15 hours should be no problem for it.
age 80. Prostate removed (cancer) 20 years ago. ED resulted. 19+ years did nothing. Tried pills, vacuum pump (HATED IT), injections worked sometimes, but not dependable. Presently have a inflatable, worked the 1st year. Not working for me now.

dtwarren1942

Postby dtwarren1942 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:10 pm

When I first ordered Trimix, I didn't realize it needed to be refrigerated. As such I left it at room temperature for several weeks and it was still effective. Accordingly, I don't see any problem using ice packs.

My Trimix comes frozen in dry ice inside a small styrofoam box and is over 24 hours during shipping.

Best to take a copy of your prescription along with you in case you are questioned.
Age 81
Diabetic
Pumping
Started Trimix injections 8/'11

Richard1954

Postby Richard1954 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:43 pm

once a writer wrote:Earlier this year I took a trip from Oregon to Belize. Before going I purchased a Frio cooling pack. You can see them at . . .

Thanks For the reply "Once a Writer",
Questions, With your Frio pack in your in your check bag will TSA not scan the bag and have questions? I may or may not have a check bag on this trip I'm going to take, May just take one carry on with cloths and goods and one small cooler or Frio or similar container. Not sure at this time.
Next question, last time I went to Jamaica while in flight there was a card that needed to be filled out. Did you have anything like that on your trip? If so is there a part that needs filled out to pertaining to BiMix/TriMix?

Any other comments............ anybody?
Richard

once a writer

Postby once a writer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:27 am

Richard, yes the Frio unit was in my checked bag. I assume the bag was scanned or inspected. But I heard of no problem. It seems to me that, given the tens of thousands of diabetics dependent upon insulin shots, travelers with injectable medications must be something the TSA sees daily. Perhaps some of the diabetics on Frank Talk can speak to this.

I don't know about the Jamaica requirements. My recollection is that paperwork I filled out entering Belize and re-entering the U.S. had no questions that seemed to address injectable meds.
Eugene, Oregon, USA. Born 1941. Married 1968. ED since mid-1990s. Began trimix January 2014. Dosage gradually increased over time. Added cock ring in 2016. After dosage reached 30 units, switched to quad mix in May 2018. On blood pressure meds.

spanzo

Postby spanzo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:47 am

I have a frio pack, but mine fairly quickly developed a musty smell. Then I tried to clean it with soapy water, and that changed the chemistry of the stuff inside. So I am NOT a fan of those things. I was not keen on continuing to use a musty smelling carrier for injectable medicines!

If it were me, since trimix is not that expensive, I would get a Styrofoam cooler pack, like the ones it is mailed in, fill it full of frozen ice packs, put it in the middle, and tape it up tight. use it for a week at the hotel, using their ice machine to replenish, then throw it away after the week.

Bluewhippet

Postby Bluewhippet » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:36 am

If you are using Bimix you do not need any refrigeration; it is stable at room temperature. The Alprostadil (PGE1) element of Trimix does degrade at room temperature but the loss in 12 hours at normal room temperature should be less than 10%. You can easily do a test - fill a syringe with your normal dose at home and try it after 12 hours at room temperature. I doubt you will find any difference.
80 year old Type2 diabetic, long term ED, pills then injections PGE1. After 4 years they became less effective. Implanted 20/3/2018 by NHS. AMS 700 CX 15+4 cm with MS pump. Never had any significant pain. Still working perfectly and used regularly.

zambui333

Postby zambui333 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:13 pm

I recently traveled to Florida by air to catch a cruise to Caribbean with my Trimix. I used a small flexible cooler and a baggie full of ice cubes. TSA allows ice bags if there is no water present, so I poured out any water from melting in rest room just before going through security. It went through fine. I got more ice on plane.
The TSA regulations available online say they also allow dry ice with some limits.

Return to “Injections”