Alprostadil

Sticking a needle Where? Courage, guidance and help.
youngwpe

Alprostadil

Postby youngwpe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Tomorrow is my VA appointment. My doctor called me to reschedule for an earlier time due to scheduling conflicts. While he had me on the phone he began asking what was going on and I explained it to him. Like my local uro he said he is only going to Rx me edex because he said it is naturally occurring and less side effects and less chance of priapism. I told him that I wanted him to prescribe Edex through the VA and give a script for me to get Trimix privately. He still wants to start of with edex only even though I brought up the fact that the VA only gives enough for 2 a month and its expensive to buy privately even with insurance.

However, he is already putting in the Rx sight unseen for me to pick it up at the hospital and for him to properly show me how to use is at the appointment tomorrow. Since he is only going to give edex at the beginning Im going to tell him I also want a seperate prescription for Alprostadil, because I called one of the local compounding pharmacys and asked them how much a vial of compounding alprostadil costs. She told me $65. A bottle of Trimix from them is $85 for 5ml. Even though I will get less shots out of a 5ml bottle versus Trimix, I will still still save a great deal of money versus edex. At the bottom of this article: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/551563_3 , there is a link for a table that visually shows this:
[size=50]The final reason for a change from Edex or Caverject Impulse to either generic prostaglandin E1 or multiagent therapy is cost. Edex and Caverject cost an average of $33 to $38 per injection for doses of 20 mcg. The same dose of generic compounded prostaglandin E1 is approximately $8 to $10 per injection from a compounding pharmacy. A 1 ml dose (which is actually a maximal dose) of trimix or quadmix costs about $12 to $15 per dose. Most patients utilize lower doses of 0.2 to 0.5 mls, which reduces the cost further. Patients for whom insurance will not cover medication and who can not afford the cost of medication may be switched to generic prostaglandin E1 or multi-agent mixtures. Costs for intracavernosal injections are shown in Table 1 .[/size]
Edex/Caverject $33-38 per use
Generic Compounding PGE1 $8-12 per use
Trimix $2-18 per use

So I might have to wait several months for trimix, atleast I can cheaply use an alternative to edex. Cant wait for tomorrow to begin the rest of my live without PE handing orver me.

youngwpe

Re: Alprostadil

Postby youngwpe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 pm

I completely forgot to ask if anyone gets the generic compounding alprostadil as an alternative to paying for edex as a way to save money. And how are your results versus name brand edex.

Question for everyone. If your trimix dosage is say 15 units, how much usually is your dosage for just PGE-1, 65 units??

Return to “Injections”