using left over caverject or edex

Sticking a needle Where? Courage, guidance and help.
RAD75XXX

using left over caverject or edex

Postby RAD75XXX » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:12 am

hi guys ,im using caverject 10mcg prefilled syringe but i only need 2.5mcg my question is can i use the leftover solution do i have to refrigirate it and how long will it keep for?thanks.
Last edited by RAD75XXX on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluewhippet

Re: using left over caverject

Postby Bluewhippet » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:49 am

Caverject is expensive enough without wasting 75% of each pack. PGE-1 (which is what Caverject consists of) degrades at room temperature and the higher the temperature the faster the degradation. This is why it is freeze dried and reconstituted in the syringe before use. However, below 5 degrees Centigrade (41 degrees Fahrenheit) the degradation is very slow. Domestic refrigerators are usually set to run between 3 and 5 degrees Centigrade. My understanding is that PGE-1 will remain fully effective for at least a month if kept in the fridge but should not be frozen. Some people suggest it can be stored for longer but if it partially degrades you may need to increase your dose.

The technique I use is to prepare the syringe as usual. When the powder is mixed I remove the plunger from a 30g 50 unit single use insulin syringe and with the Caverject syringe set (in your case to 10 McG) squirt exactly 12.5 units into the insulin syringe using the graduations on the insulin syringe to measure. Gently tap the insulin syringe as you push in the plunger to expel the air and use as normal. You will be able to fill 4 syringes which you can refrigerate as needed.

Incidentally, you will see that when you finish there is still some liquid left in the dead space in the Caverject syringe. In fact the syringe holds 0.64ml but dispenses a maximum of 0.50 ml. If you unscrew the needle assembly from the syringe it will reveal a rubber plug. You can stick the needle of a single use syringe through the plug and suck out about 12 units (0.12 ml) which should give you one more dose!

I need a much larger dose than you but use this technique with the 20Mcg Caverject syringe very successfully.
80 year old Type2 diabetic, long term ED, pills then injections PGE1. After 4 years they became less effective. Implanted 20/3/2018 by NHS. AMS 700 CX 15+4 cm with MS pump. Never had any significant pain. Still working perfectly and used regularly.

RAD75XXX

Re: using left over caverject

Postby RAD75XXX » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:41 pm

thanks bluewhippet for your reply,im in sydney australia and pay $30 for packet of two prefilled syringes and like you said its a waste of medication when i only use 2.5mcg
in the instructions they tell you to disgard after using single use only but i definetly want to refrigirate it next time, glad i spoke to you.

Return to “Injections”