Had a choice of two urlologists, booked with one, but?

Sticking a needle Where? Courage, guidance and help.
DonBecker54

Had a choice of two urlologists, booked with one, but?

Postby DonBecker54 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 am

There's two urologists in my area who were recommended by my regular doc for injections. I called one and asked about cost, and was told the office visit was $200 and then the cost of meds was whatever the pharmacy charges. The nurse said that insurance would pay for an office visit, which I question.

The second place said the office visit was $200 and the first prescription (from them) was $150.

I made an appointment with the first, as he's 45 minutes closer. I got to thinking about being told that the cost of meds being whatever the pharmacy charges. Is it possible that he's see me, but not do any real test of the injections? If so, would he write an Rx, and then have me come back?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I've obviously never been through this before.
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

jryancey44

Re: Had a choice of two urlologists, booked with one, but?

Postby jryancey44 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:08 am

No they will always give you an injection first to see how you react,it is extremly important to get the dosage right,be prepared to be there until it goes south,a good doctor will not let you leave until. Good luck I took injections for over 20 years,I think you will like the result!

Jim

Andy425

Postby Andy425 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 pm

A lot of uros, mine included, do not have injectable drugs on site. They sent a script to a compounding pharmacy, then I got the drug (Trimix) and needles (Fedexed to my door for just under $100), then I went to the uro's so they (the sweet young nurse) could show me how to do it.
RP in 2012 because of prostate cancer. 100% ED, also some leakage problems.

JimStars

Postby JimStars » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Don,

Good that you are taking the first steps towards getting stuck.

But, you only mention 'injections'. What kind are you looking for? Trimix? BimIx? Edex? Caverject?

Like Andy said, A doctor will seldom have his own supply of Trimix or Bimix on hand to test you with. So the Doc who charges $150 for the prescription is probably touting Caverject or Edex system (which is just a variation of PGE-1 is various forms ). Those two are very expensive but also very lucrative for the Uro to push them because they get all the profits from selling them to you .. not the Pharmacy. Oh well ... the Doc has to make money any way he can.

So anyways, your first $200 visit will be a consulation and then you will get the prescription. Maybe the doc will show you how the injection is done using a rubber model or whatever. You will probably need a SECOND visit for the actual test of the injection after you have had it filled and you will bring it with you etc etc. You can read about this from many other accounts of first times.

Hope you have good luck with it ...

J
RP 2008 ... MUSE 2008-9 .. TriMix Gel 2009 .. Trimix 2009-2015 ... PGE-1 2016-2019 ..Misoprostal 2019 Onward. All worked.

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was suspecting that the urologist who doesn't have "the stuff' would require a second visit. That's more money, but I probably recover that in lower costs at the pharmacy. It's also more time, which I don't like. I have a lady friend I'm waiting to try this on. :)
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:23 pm

I'd recommend that after you get the prescription and start injecting, you tell the Uro doc that you've been on the Frank Talk site and are quite familiar with the process and that it's going well (hopefully it is).
After I did that and told him that everything was going well, I didn't need any more demonstrations. I suspect most Uros know about Frank Talk?
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Return to “Injections”