just started pumping and having incontinence issues

Specific talk about pumps: Questions, hints, recommendations, etc.
mdt399

just started pumping and having incontinence issues

Postby mdt399 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi,

Had RARP end of February. No incoontinence issues. But started pumping in April and now i am having incontinence issues. No more than a pad a day. But since the catheter came out i only used one pad a day, none on weekends, now everytime i cough or fart i am getting squirts. I was wondering if it was the pumping or my body just not totally healed.

padraig1001

Re: just started pumping and having incontinence issues

Postby padraig1001 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm not familiar with the term RARP, though I'm guessing it's a radical prostectomy like I had. I had incontinence issues for some time, then overnight it stopped. That was 12 years ago. Recently, however, I began to notice slight dripping, though not enough for pads.

I began pumping recently for two reasons. (1) I haven't had an erection for 12 years, even after trying oral meds, MUSE, and shots. I'm not open to in inplant (too chicken). I wasn't open to the pump, though my pharmacist suggested it several years ago. I just happend to receive an ad in the mail one day and part of the sales pitch was that it was Medicare approved.

(2) Based on the literature, it appeared that therapy was a major component of the pump. I really thought this might help build up all those muscles that work with urination/erections, etc.

I've been pleased on both counts, actually. I still have some dripping, but it really does appear to be less, though at this point it's pretty early to tell. I've also started kegels on a religious basis, and that also may account for some success.

IMHO, I do not believe that pumping would cause incontinence, but then I'm just an old man who is learning every day.

Padraig

mdt399

Postby mdt399 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:22 am

Thanks for your response, i will continue to pump because it does appear to bring some life to him even though its a little soon to expect too much, RARP robot assisted radical prost

padraig1001

Postby padraig1001 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:23 pm

I think that's a smart move.

BTW, when I had my radical prostectomy, robotics was not in the picture. I'm assuming, then, that you don't have a scare from the navel down! :evil:

Continued good luck . . . .

regain-is-the-aim

Postby regain-is-the-aim » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 am

Mdt:

Welcome to the clan. Pleased to hear you recovery is going so well in spite of a drip on occasion. I also pump and have found it to be a great assist. MY only thought it to take it slow this soon out from surgery. There is a lot of healing that needs to go on down there in spite of the robotics. I also had the robotic and found my surgery healing to be quick and easy.

Would also suggest for the first 6 months that you not push the final pump or two too much. Just for now, get him a nice common hard and not push for real hard. That can come into the picture later if you want. You are probably too close to surgery to see if you have lost any length from the process. Don't worry as you can deal with that later in the year. Now is the time to get him use to rising with lots of releases and then falling back only to rise again.

I don't think the pumping is related to the incontinence; but I'm not a doc. Most of us experience some ebb and "flow" during the months following surgery. I did not have much of an issue but it was probably at least a year before I considered myself "dry". I'm almost 5 years out and on rare occasion find that I get a very small drop or two with a sneeze of something- I think that may be the new reality of life. But I DO not consider it to be a problem. Time is on your side with this.

If I can help in any way please let me know.

Regards,

Dick
"Regain-is-the-Aim"
Dick
PCa-surgery 10/06

dtwarren1942

Postby dtwarren1942 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 pm

My Ed is not a result of surgery, but a result of diabetes complications , age, and a possible venous leak. Anyway, I have been pumping for well over a year and my experience is that I find it more difficult to start peeing after a pumping session. I feel that pumping causes my urethrae to become swollen and constricted, thus causing the difficulty in getting the urine to come out.
Age 81
Diabetic
Pumping
Started Trimix injections 8/'11

Return to “Pumps (Vacuum Erection Device)”