Testosterone

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
BrooksBro

Testopel

Postby BrooksBro » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:06 pm

After a year of getting weekly testosterone cypionate injections, I got my first "installment" of Testopel pellets (14 of 'em, in 2 tracks) about 24-hours ago. The procedure itself was tolerable. By reference it was MUCH more tolerable than the 12 verapamil injections for peyronie's!. Once the lidocaine wore off, the discomfort was eased well enough for me with extra strength Tylenol.

The main problem this morning has been an intense itching in the left butt cheek, where they are implanted. This was listed as a side effect. I have not removed the original dressing and bandage. That will have to wait another 6 hours.

How long before the itching goes away?
Age 59, married 24 years, ED 7 years, Peyronies 3 years with venous leakage. Dr. Larry Lipshultz, Baylor, Houston TX.

padreest

Re: Testosterone

Postby padreest » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Nohard,
What is Axiorn? I googled but found axiom. Ron

lemonhead

Postby lemonhead » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:37 pm

I am 66 years old and 10 months post RP surgery. It seems that my sex drive has been getting lower the past few months. I plan on asking my urologist for his imput and I guess possible tests for lowT but have heard that testosterone (if needed) isn't a good thing for post cancer surgery men. I thought I heard testosterone may act as a "stimulant" for possible cancer growth. Has anyone either experenced or heard of this? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks....Lemonhead

antelope

Postby antelope » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 am

Lemon,

Here's the simplest explanation--direct from my doctor.

Cholesterol is a feedstock for testosterone. Folks who take meds to lower cholesterol should also monitor T levels.

Testosterone is a feedstorck for prostate cancer. Folks with prostate cancer, enlarged prostate, or elevated PSA levels should be wary of taking T supplements as long as T levels are remotely within the range of normal--and even then extreme caution should be in place. One of the post-surgical treatments for prostate cancer is chemical castration using LUPRON. Just saying.

Ask your doc for confirmation, but those are the facts as I understand them.

Greg
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

radiodec

Postby radiodec » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:03 pm

There is a stage (level, variant) of prostate cancer that is sensitive to testosterone level. This is analogus to some breast cancers and estrogen.

Might some of the lack of sex drive be related to erectile nerve damage and the resultant lack of positive feedback that comes from that little stirring in your pants.

By all means check with your urologist and your oncologist together on this. For me, my urologist just happens to quite knowlegable in prostate cancer recurrence and salvage treatments though currently these are not needed.

David
70 - married 47 years: RP - 2000, injections till 2012, AMS700LGX with 21cm tubes 2cm extenders 11/7/2012, failed 6/5/2017 --- Re-implanted 8/18/2017 with AMS 700CX -- Implants by Dr. David Morris, Hendersonville,TN

Bionic_by_AMS

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:51 pm

lemonhead wrote:I thought I heard testosterone may act as a "stimulant" for possible cancer growth.

A good place to start is here:

Penile Rehabilitation After Cancer Treatment -- Sloan-Kettering (30 min. video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie8NkOu2VNA

I've been on Testim 1% for several years ... before and after robotic surgery ...
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

lemonhead

Postby lemonhead » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 pm

antelope wrote:Lemon,

Here's the simplest explanation--direct from my doctor.

Cholesterol is a feedstock for testosterone. Folks who take meds to lower cholesterol should also monitor T levels.

Testosterone is a feedstorck for prostate cancer. Folks with prostate cancer, enlarged prostate, or elevated PSA levels should be wary of taking T supplements as long as T levels are remotely within the range of normal--and even then extreme caution should be in place. One of the post-surgical treatments for prostate cancer is chemical castration using LUPRON. Just saying.

Ask your doc for confirmation, but those are the facts as I understand them.

Greg

Thanks Greg! I do take meds for cholesterol. Will ask doc. Yikes! Thanks again....Lemonhead

seeking info

Postby seeking info » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 pm

GUYS who are on opiod therapy for chronic pain should also watch thete T levels. I have an implanted intrathecal pain pump which delivers a continious infusion of dilaudid and baclofen. Per a recent university study my pain Dr shared with me, 96% of men on long term opiod treatment suffer with low testosterone. I was thinking it was my health issues causing my problems when in fact it was my meds. My first check of my testosterone my level was at 64. Now after a year of replacement it is barely back over 300. They also found an under active tyroid also. I got 2 hormone replacements at one time. Still not back to feeling like I should feel. Started on Axiron, but my skin was too fair rubbing that under my armpits everyday had them raw. Now on Androgel much better. Of course this is the story of my life it seems take one medicine to treat one ailment end up taking another to treat the side effects of the first meds. If I could stop the opiod treatment my T levels would return on their own, but without the pain pump I,d be bedridden or wheelchair bound again. I like having a somewhat normal life!

Seeking info...aka Scott
Medically retired. Due to very bad back issues..multiple surgeries. Implanted pain infusion system on long term opiodal meds; hypogonadism and hypothyroid as a side effect from intrathecal pain infusion system. Use low dose generic V

hoosierphilly

Postby hoosierphilly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Oxford this month refused to continue my Androjel and has switched to their generic choice. The switch provides about half the previous script if the tube could be emptied, which it cannot. I sensitivity is way down and I also feel depressed. The triad....heart disease, diabetes, and thyroid....is ijmpacted by testosterone treatment. Also your arrousal and performance.

If we allow the insurances companies and the government to put us on an ice flow......we are doomed. monitor Medcitynews.com....they recently within the last 10 days) included an international report on the impact of treatment in various countries with their state medical treatment impact. The US generally had 75% quick treatments while Canda, England and Scandannavia had maybe 30%....efficient treatments measured in months of delays.

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 am

You might try to get your doc to let you self-inject testosterone weekly?
I've been doing it for about 4 months since Medicare stopped paying for the shots at the doctor's office.
It's not free; it costs me $70 for 4 syringes, but I think it's worth it.
I do have to have my T and PSA levels checked more often though.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Return to “General Discussion”