Where does the sperm go after RP?

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
charlesr

Where does the sperm go after RP?

Postby charlesr » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:57 pm

I have known that, after a radical prostatectomy, the prostate, which produces semen, is gone. Apparently the Cowper's Gland doesn't offer much help either, as the emission of that fluid (referred as "pre-cum") doesn't seem to occur in 98% of the cases.

So, if the testicles are still producing sperm, and they don't get ejaculated with semen upon orgasm or whatever, where does it go?
Born 1951. Radical Robotic Prostatectomy on October 6, 2013. Bionic with Titan Touch with Bioflex Zero Degree 18cm w/ (1) rte Implant, Infrapubic, on July 13, 2015.

tomas1

Re: Where does the sperm go after RP?

Postby tomas1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:41 am

I don't know the answer to that, but it probably goes the same way as after a vasectomy?
I think the body just absorbs it somehow.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

David_R

Postby David_R » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:21 am

I have also noticed something else after my prostatectomy: I am much more emotional that before (like I tear up during family commercials at Christmas time, for example). I never understood why, since my testicles are still there producing testosterone. But at a prostate cancer support group that I attended a doctor explained that one of the functions of the prostate was to help the body process the testosterone. So that explains a lot. (And I don't miss the semen ejaculation, although I know for some men that is a significant loss to their feelings of masculinity.)

cincinnatus1951

Postby cincinnatus1951 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:49 am

During RP, the vas differens is severed and has been posted, the sperm is just absorbed. After my RP I had a "blue balls" ache and asked the surgeon about that. He said once the "boys" figure there is no place for it to go, production will be reduced and the balance absorbed. I always produced a good bit of Cowper's fluid and continue to do so, altho I think it has some urine mixed in as it has a slight yellow tinge. Have not experienced any testosterone issues. Mine is in the bottom third of the normal range, which the ED doc said is quite a bit above normal for a 75 year old guy. Havn't had any other issues testosterone related.
Cincinnatus
Age 79, Wife 77 Married 52yrs RPP Dr Brian Miles, Houston Methodist, July 2013. Used VED, pills, MUSE, and trimix with no or mixed results. 18cm Titan, one RTE by Dr Mohit Khera, Baylor, Houston, Jan 2016

midwestman

Postby midwestman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:52 pm

cincinnatus1951 wrote:During RP, the vas differens is severed and has been posted, the sperm is just absorbed. After my RP I had a "blue balls" ache and asked the surgeon about that. He said once the "boys" figure there is no place for it to go, production will be reduced and the balance absorbed. I always produced a good bit of Cowper's fluid and continue to do so, altho I think it has some urine mixed in as it has a slight yellow tinge. Have not experienced any testosterone issues. Mine is in the bottom third of the normal range, which the ED doc said is quite a bit above normal for a 75 year old guy. Havn't had any other issues testosterone related.
Cincinnatus

To the original poster - what cinci says above it correct, the body just absorbs it. I had a vasectomy in 1992 so they've been without an exit a long time already :D Had a radical prostectomy 10/2014 so no semen after that (but I had slowly lost most of it over the preceeding three years and two docs have no idea why) and I do miss the ejaculating feeling.

Cinci, interesting that you mention that you still have pre-cum - I do too and I don't understand why. I thought that when you have a prostectomy the urethra goes directly from the bladder to the tip of the penis and there is no longer anything else connected to it since the prostate is gone. I'm confuzzled.

cincinnatus1951

Postby cincinnatus1951 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:02 pm

Midwestman:
I'm certainly no doctor, but have learned more about male anatomy than I ever thought I would. Pre come comes from the Cowper's gland which may or may not be disturbed during RPP. I also understand that Cowpers fluid enters the urethra below the prostate. Sounds like ours made it through the surgery. I'm glad I still have it.
Cincinnatus
Age 79, Wife 77 Married 52yrs RPP Dr Brian Miles, Houston Methodist, July 2013. Used VED, pills, MUSE, and trimix with no or mixed results. 18cm Titan, one RTE by Dr Mohit Khera, Baylor, Houston, Jan 2016

satopper

Postby satopper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:41 pm

When I had my followups after RPP in June 2007, I told the doc that I had the feeling (spasms) of ejaculation, but that nothing came out of my penis. He said that the sperm is re-absorbed into the body. Since 95+% of ejaculate is not sperm, there is really only a small amount being absorbed into the body.
Like others have mentioned, I occasionally have a bit of precum when I "get off", either solo or with someone; now I understand why that happens.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Yes they are reabsorbed just like after a vasectomy. Actually a deep internal vasectomy is what you get in a prostatectomy. You can get congestion that can make your nuts ache. If you take clomid to keep your balls from shrinking while on testosterone replacement therapy you understand what that is like as clomiphene ramps up your sperm production. Sperm make up a very very small amount of the pre-prostatectomy ejaculate, just like the clear fluid from the cowpers gland that you MIGHT get post surgery is very very little. Often only 1 or 2 drops worth. Prostate made the most ejaculatory fluid by an large percent. I miss my loads of cum.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Nah....after an RP, the semen is never manufactured...semen originates in the seminal vesicles, which are attached to the prostate (on top of if I remember right)... When the prostate is removed, the seminal vesicles are removed along with it. So no semen is produced. There are several more undesirable effects of an RP.......but compared to being dead, they are minor....

In the 2.5 years after my RP, a few girls told me that I still made "precome". My urologist assured me that was just pee....
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

David_R

Postby David_R » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:51 pm

LMCatman wrote:In the 2.5 years after my RP, a few girls told me that I still made "precome". My urologist assured me that was just pee....

I mentioned to my urologist after my RP that I had clear fluid oozing out ("precum") when I was aroused, which surprised me. He wondered if it were urine. Well, I don't think it is urine because (1) it doesn't smell like urine and (2) it is slick like precum. Doesn't bother me, though. :)

Return to “General Discussion”