ED from Everyday Pains Meds

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
3mtrship

ED from Everyday Pains Meds

Postby 3mtrship » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 am

What do you guys think of the following article?

Erectile Dysfunction Could Be Caused By Everyday Pain Meds
Deborah Huso

Men taking non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory medications, such as aspirin or ibrupophen, more than three times a day for more than three months are 2.4 times more likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction when compared to men who don't take these drugs regularly, according to new findings published in The Journal of Urology.

The study, from Kaiser Permanente in Pasadena, Calif., used electronic health records, an automated pharmacy database, and self-reported questionnaire data to examine the relationship between NSAID use and ED in 80,966 ethnically diverse men. Of those participants, 47.4 percent were considered non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drug users.

After allowing for age, race, ethnicity, smoking status, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, high cholesterol and body mass index, researchers found ED was consistently 1.4 times more likely among regular NSAID users.

"Honestly, this finding was a surprise, as we thought that NSAIDs would protect against ED through the same or similar mechanisms by which they protect against heart disease," Dr. Steven J. Jacobsen, senior study author, epidemiologist, and director of research for Kaiser Permanente Southern California, told AOL Health. "So if our findings are not due to underlying conditions that we didn't account for, it may point to a mechanism that could provide new insights into the causes of ED."

At the very least, Jacobsen hopes the study will provide a stimulus for men to discuss risk factors for ED with their care providers.

Dr. James Campbell, director of the Geriatric Center at The MetroHealth System in Cleveland, believes the NSAID theory is worth looking into but still needs more evidence. "At this point, I think you've got one preliminary study," Campbell told AOL Health. "I don't know that you can conclude this causes ED. A large number of patients have ED, and a large number of patients take anti-inflammatory medications. Whether they're related, we don't know."

"We need to remember that this is an observational study and in no way proves a casual relationship," Jacobsen agrees.

Campbell says men suffering from ED should talk to their doctors to assess vascular health, blood pressure, diabetes, and other possible health risks that may be contributing to the problem.

"There are medications out there and vacuum devices to help, but it is important to have an evaluation by your doctor," says Campbell, who works with his own patients to treat ED by improving their overall vascular function.

Jacobsen agrees, noting NSAIDs are beneficial in the prevention of heart disease and other chronic conditions, so he doesn't think men with ED should stop taking them just because of this recent study data. Rather, he encourages men suffering from ED to talk to their doctors first.

Jim

antelope

Re: ED from Everyday Pains Meds

Postby antelope » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:40 am

I think I am going to try wean myself off of Celebrex and see what happens. I'll let you know.
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

3mtrship

Postby 3mtrship » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:19 pm

antelope and everyone else,

I would always recommend at least one conversation with all prescribing Doctors before making any medical or presciption changes to ones treatment.

There are somethings we find true as patients but medical decisions, if agreed too by patient and Doctor, carry an additional responsibility in my book.

My opinion on this subject is clear and easy to understand.

Once a patient receives and takes the advice of a Doctor, that patient has entered a contract. The contract can be broken by either party but only with the full knowledge and agreement of the other.

We don't self medicate and we should not stop without at least a phone consultation.

That's my three cents and anybody else is welcome to chime in here with their thoughts.

Jim

jn1421

Postby jn1421 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Last summer my Dr and I suspected that my medication routine was the cause of my ED. I decided to find out by ceasing ‘all’ meds and supplements for 1 month and record the results. At the time I was taking:

Simvastatin 20mg (zocor for cholesterol) 1 daily
Aspirin 81mg (blood thinner) 1 daily
Tramadol 50mg (pain) 1 daily
Oxycodone 5mg (pain) 1 daily
Metroprolol Tartrate 12.5mg (heart med) 1 daily
Methocarbamol 750mg (muscle relaxer) 1 daily
Glucosamine 1000mg (joint health supp) 1 daily
Vit. E 400iu 1 daily
Vit C 1000mg 1 daily
B100 Complex 1 daily
Ambien 10mg 4 times per week

During this weaning, and after the 30 day period was over, nothing at all changed with my ED. My Dr was convinced that the Metroprolol (heart med) was the culprit, but it was not.

Don’t know how to explain any of this but thought I’d throw my experience out to you guys. Perhaps this is more proof that our bodies are more unique than believed.

Dave
Last edited by jn1421 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antelope

Postby antelope » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Jim, I could not agree more. I guess I should have been more specific. I will ask the doctor if I can try to wean myself off of the Celebrex. For me, asking my doc is a given. Your comments are well placed. Messing with meds can be risky. Thanks, Greg
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

Return to “General Discussion”