RP patients - How long before erections come back??

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
otis857

RP patients - How long before erections come back??

Postby otis857 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Greetings all,
A question for the Prostate surgery patients out there. How soon before you saw the "rise in your Levis" return? Im 3 months out of nerve sparing RALP surgery and still no signs of an erection. I've been using an Encore pump for a few weeks to keep the atrophy from setting in and delaying things further, but still no unassisted erections or even firmness without the pump as of yet. Very frustrating.

Im curious what other RP members have seen before your erections have returned.
Mike
Nerve sparing Robotic Prostatectomy Feb 2014

Andy425

Re: RP patients - How long before erections come back??

Postby Andy425 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:17 pm

I'll be two years out next month and I don't get an erection yet that's good for anything. I did have one nerve bundle removed.

They may never come back for any of us, anything that's reliable and usable. Or they may be somewhat usable. Sometimes, or sometimes not. I've gotten used to the idea of being dysfunctional for the rest of my life, but I was pretty much done with women when I got PC two years ago anyway. Although I know a couple I could probably tap, but I stay away from them because of ED.

Then there's the other possibility, such as a guy I know. He had both nerve bundles spared (in 2000) and said functionality did come back eventually, although sometimes he has to pop a pill. But the downside to his situation: his cancer came back. He is on hormone therapy and is keeping it under control for now, but it isn't a cure.

At any rate, those nerves heal very, very slowly so don't get impatient.
RP in 2012 because of prostate cancer. 100% ED, also some leakage problems.

otis857

Postby otis857 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:31 am

Sorry to hear about your situation, Andy. Prostate Cancer SUCKS, no matter how well the treatment goes.I knew going in there is a possibility that I may never get any erectile function back, but getting rid of the cancer was my first priority. While pumping and some massaging trying to get some function back, I was able to have an orgasm without an erection. That was an eye opening experience on the first time. So much different than before surgery, with no ejaculation or throbbing, but an almost electric like feeling when it happened. Going to take some getting used to but it gave me some hope for the future.

Im lucky enough to have a very supportive wife that is extremely patient. And now, She's dealing with her own issues and had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, so we are both on the comeback trail. Im just hoping I can get something for her when she's ready. If not, I guess we'll have to adapt.
Mike

Andy425

Postby Andy425 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:04 am

otis857 wrote:Sorry to hear about your situation, Andy. Prostate Cancer SUCKS, no matter how well the treatment goes.I knew going in there is a possibility that I may never get any erectile function back, but getting rid of the cancer was my first priority. While pumping and some massaging trying to get some function back, I was able to have an orgasm without an erection. That was an eye opening experience on the first time. So much different than before surgery, with no ejaculation or throbbing, but an almost electric like feeling when it happened. Going to take some getting used to but it gave me some hope for the future.

Im lucky enough to have a very supportive wife that is extremely patient. And now, She's dealing with her own issues and had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, so we are both on the comeback trail. Im just hoping I can get something for her when she's ready. If not, I guess we'll have to adapt.

Yup, the whole deal sucks. People see you and think "He beat cancer, he seems to be doing great." Ha, sure, nothing to it.

Yes, the orgasm while being totally limp is unexpected. At least they didn't take that away from us. You are lucky to be married -- having this happen while single has made a mess of my life.

Nothing out there is as good as the erections that Mother Nature provides.

terraplane

Postby terraplane » Thu May 08, 2014 10:58 am

Otis , don't waste your money on oral drugs or muse , they won't do a thing , go right to injections , you will both be happy . This is a good place to start http://www.phoenix5.org/sexaids/injecti ... smenu.html . They use to have a compounding pharmacy finder , but you need to find one in your area , ask them what Drs prescribe Trimix or Bimix .............Chuck
Radical prostatectomy Mar . 2010 age 63 , everything good except for ED . Have tried the big three pills , VED , and Muse , results unsatisfactory . My trimix formula is : 25MG Papa ,.8 MG Phento , 8 MCG /M PGE 1

limpnoodle

Postby limpnoodle » Thu May 08, 2014 11:40 am

Otis, I think most of us with PCa go in thinking we want rid of the cancer and don't think much about the after effects. I know that was my situation 7 years ago. I knew I might end up with ED but was so worried about the cancer that I was not prepared for how it would change my life. I think at the time I did not realize how important my penis was to me. It took me almost 4 years to get any response but can get a usable erection with Cailis and a band. However things are very different. Sensations are not the same and frequently have trouble climaxing in wife's vagina. Both erect and flaccid size are smaller both in length and girth. Part of the size reduction is my fault. Out of frustration I quit pumping after a year without much happening so keep pumping as some function will return. Early in "penile rehab" I tried everything and the Uro seemed to conclude I had a venous leak which as he put it was tissue damage from no erections not sure I believe that. Muse and injections had a painful after effect for me to the point I quit using them apparently I am sensitive to Prostaglandins but some guys are able to us them you just have to try and find what works for you. It is possible to have a climax with a flaccid or semi erect penis but it does feel different than before surgery. Sex now is an effort and certainly not spontaneous but is possible just different. So I guess my advice is keep working at rehab and be willing to work at having a sex life even trying things other than vaginal penetration.

Andy425

Postby Andy425 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:25 pm

After diagnosis: All I could think of was dying of cancer, and wanted that damned gland OUT of me.

After surgery, post-catheter: All I cared about was being able to live without leaking. Although I did think about sex once in a while, it was NOT a priority.

After I became (more or less) continent: I started caring about sex again, although I have done nothing about it because of my personal situation.

Bionic_by_AMS

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Thu May 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Mike,
It's doubtful that you will ever see your "natural" erection return ... don't be fooled by the textbook answers that the URO's give out. The VED is a great way to prevent tissue atrophy ... however Injections are about the only way to jump-start your rehab. Ask your URO ... most will give you a test shot in the office.

Don't wait thinking things will return to normal ... by themselves ... be aggressive about your rehab.
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

otis857

Postby otis857 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks all,
Your 'been there done that' testimonials, while they dont give me a whole lot of encouragement, do at least let me know Im not going through anything unusual. Im still fighting post surgery leaking and urgency issues right now, and that is the battle of the day for me. Just recently started feeling good enough to look towards some sort of erectile function, but for now, its just a pipe dream. If I dont see some sort of progress b4 too long, I'll discuss injections with my Uro. Oh well, guess I'll carry on and hope for better days ahead.
Mike

Andy425

Postby Andy425 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:25 pm

otis857 wrote:Thanks all,
Your 'been there done that' testimonials, while they dont give me a whole lot of encouragement, do at least let me know Im not going through anything unusual. Im still fighting post surgery leaking and urgency issues right now, and that is the battle of the day for me. Just recently started feeling good enough to look towards some sort of erectile function, but for now, its just a pipe dream. If I dont see some sort of progress b4 too long, I'll discuss injections with my Uro. Oh well, guess I'll carry on and hope for better days ahead.

I wore pads for a bit over 3 months post-catheter. Even now I have an occasional leakage problem, but only when I'm at home -- it's (apparently) a mental thing. If I'm out somewhere I tend to have better control unless I'm drinking a lot. I'm still doing Kegels 2-3 times a day, FWIW.

But I am basically continent. That, and the ED problem, are definitely long-term things. Expect little to no noticeable change if measured in weeks.

Six months out I asked my uro about Trimix and he was strongly in favor, although he said I shouldn't have expected much of a natural erection by then.

It all sucks big time. Our choices were this, or die a slow miserable death from prostate cancer.

Return to “General Discussion”