Life of Your Penis

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
Paul-Mod

Life of Your Penis

Postby Paul-Mod » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Here is a GREAT article on the life cycle of your penis. http://men.webmd.com/features/life-cycle-of-a-penis

One member mentioned to me that he had not measured his cock since he was a teenage. He was wondering if plain old advancing age had shrunk his cock instead of the surgeon! There is a huge truth to that statement. Believe it or not, we do shrink as we age. Here is an excerpt that was really interesting:
Penis Size. Weight gain is common as men grow older. As fat accumulates on the lower abdomen, the apparent size of the penis changes. "A large prepubic fat pad makes the penile shaft look shorter," says Ira Sharlip, MD, clinical professor of urology at the University of California, San Francisco.
"In some cases, abdominal fat all but buries the penis," says Ronald Tamler, MD, PhD, co-director of the Men's Health Program at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. "One way I motivate my overweight patients is by telling them that they can appear to gain up to an inch in size simply by losing weight."
In addition to this apparent shrinkage (which is reversible) the penis tends to undergo an actual (and irreversible) reduction in size. The reduction -- in both length and thickness -- typically isn't dramatic but may be noticeable. "If a man's erect penis is 6 inches long when he is in his 30s, it might be 5 or 5-and-a-half inches when he reaches his 60s or 70s," says Goldstein.
What causes the penis to shrink? At least two mechanisms are involved, experts say. One is the slow deposition of fatty substances (plaques) inside tiny arteries in the penis, which impairs blood flow to the organ. Goldstein explains that another mechanism involves the gradual buildup of relatively inelastic collagen (scar tissue) within the stretchy fibrous sheath that surrounds the erection chambers. Erections occur when these chambers fill with blood. Blockages within the penile arteries -- and increasingly inelastic chambers -- mean smaller erections.
As penis size changes, so do the testicles. "Starting around age 40, the testicles definitely begin to shrink," says Goldstein. The testicles of a 30-year-old man might measure 3 centimeters in diameter, he says; those of a 60-year-old, perhaps only 2 centimeters.

OK, I may not be much overweight, but I will admit that the little pad of fat right above my cock does look a bit bigger than it did. I've heard that we lose half and inch for every 15 pounds over weight we are. Yikes. then there is plain old gravity that pulls fat down farther ....and that is about as far down as it goes in relation to most of my abdomen! Also, all that talk about scar tissue reducing elasticity...keep on working it out! Every day.

Anyway, thought I'd let you guys see some the stuff that member here mail me. Now all they have to do is post these things themselves!

Paul

Worried Guy

Re: Life of Your Penis

Postby Worried Guy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Sadly I lost a good inch or two when the walnut was removed. I need an incontinence clamp just to find it now. I'm afraid of what will happen when winter rolls around.
Age 56, Gleason 3+4, BX 7/12 up to 70%, PSA 23 at DX May '09.
RP by DaVinci on July 21, '09 Both nerves gone. Incontinent.
Sling installed 1/2011 Works great. Now to fix ED.

Return to “General Discussion”