Should I start TRT? Dr says yes but not suee

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
ETGuy71

Re: Should I start TRT? Dr says yes but not suee

Postby ETGuy71 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:43 pm

This therapy has good and bad points, you must know what they are and if the risk/benefit is worth it! You must manage hemoglobin and hematocrit because your blood thickens and clotting can become an issue. Testicle shrinkage is another negative.
PSA elevation. Just understand what you’re getting into, “all that glitters isn’t gold”!
I can say this as a been there done that guy. Will never do it again. Best of luck though, I hope you find what you need.
Diagnosed venous leak. Going with injections rather than implant for the time being.

1day2Bbionic

Postby 1day2Bbionic » Fri May 19, 2023 7:26 pm

Here might be something that is worth reading https://www.rejuvenation-science.com/re ... nfertility

Martin6469

Postby Martin6469 » Mon May 22, 2023 2:34 pm

Vince: All good advice here. To answer your question, yes I've been very steady for 25 years now on synthetic T. I use the gel made by a compounding pharmacy since that's the cheapest and most convenient TRT. It comes in a plastic cylinder - I pump out a calibrated amount daily, measured to keep me in the 400-500 range, and smear it on my skin where it dries in 6-8 minutes. (Experiments have shown that under skin-to-skin contact, very little T transfers to a partner if it's dry.) $30 for 6 weeks worth. Some guys self-inject but I don't know why; seems like a lot of extra bother, and probably extra expense.

In the past, if I accidentally got up to 600-700 or so, sexual thoughts about the beautiful neighborhood women began to intrude more than usual into my day, but bedroom performance stayed the same! The high end of normal is 800 or 1000 depending on what doctor or lab you talk to, but as dtwarren and ETGuy say, PSA and clotting might become a problem up there. Balls will slowly shrink, because the T-producing cells have nothing to do, and will be absorbed.
Age 78 in 2023. On testosterone replacement due to hypothalamus malfunction. (Attention depressed guys: low testosterone is a cause.) Healthy health nut but ED due to getting old. Like to keep enough cardiovascular ability to thrust for 30 min.

ProstateMIA

Postby ProstateMIA » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:29 pm

I have found TRT to have a very positive effect on my quality of life: better concentration, more energy, better libido.

I tried both patches and gel, but neither would raise my T level to my target level. I switched to weekly injections and that made all the difference. The injection isn't fun, but it is only once a week as opposed to the daily administration of the gel. The injections are also much cheaper.

Baseline or target levels depend on the person and age. There seems to be a lot of discussion about how each person reacts to T levels differently.

One disconcerting side effect is that the externally administered T causes testicles to shrink. Not sure if that is important to you, but I decided to live with it.
60 yo. RALP in June 2019. Tried bimix with limited success. Currently getting good results from trimix.

Return to “General Discussion”