is anyone familar with CPT INJECTION codes for Penile Doppler Ultrasound?

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
alexkidd69

is anyone familar with CPT INJECTION codes for Penile Doppler Ultrasound?

Postby alexkidd69 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:35 pm

is anyone familar with CPT codes for Penile Doppler Ultrasound when treating ED? I had one done but they only did an ultrasound on my FLACCID penis. At first the Hopsital technician said they had no one available to do the injection. But now Hospital Risk Management says they can only do what the doctor ordered, And the Urologist did not include the code to do the injection. and the Regular two codes (with lay summary) are:
CPT Code 93980 Arterial inflow and venous outflow of penile vessels; complete study
CPT Code 93981 Arterial inflow and venous outflow of penile vessels; follow up or limited study
. Now they actually coded the 81 version which I think was a mistake as it was an initial study not a follow up. And if it was somehow supposed to be a "Limited" study there was no description of what it was to be limited too.
But since it was specifically listed for unspecified Erectile Dysfunction and the test was to determine
Arterial inflow and venous outflow of penile vessels
- How can you check penile venous function on a flaccid penis? It is only when it is erect that the veins are supposed to start holding the blood inside. In the flaccid state by defination the penis is not getting any bigger or smaller. so the arterial inflow will be identical to the venous outflow.
Now I understand the hospital wants to get paid for everything it does, and if it can get paid for giving that TRIMIX injection it wants that code included. But I went for a penile doppler ultrasound, to determine the cause of my ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION. I did not want some dude handling and manipuating my genitals, and I only allowed it understanding he was going to preform the FULL test which he did not do. It seems all the hospitals and facilities talking about that test mention that the injection is part of it, and did my Doctors just screw up and omit the injection code that is obvious to everyone else? And if everyone else includes the code, why didn't the HOSPITAL verify that my Doctor wanted it done WITHOUT injection and ERECTION? And it getting my INFORMED CONSENT, why didn't the hospital tell me this test is usually done with an ERECT PENIS, but your doctor only wants to scan you while flaccid. If anyone advised me prior to the test, they would not be doing the full ERECT exam, they would not be doing any part of it until that was cleared up. [u] So if my doctors omitted the injection code what code number did they omit?[u]

Return to “General Discussion”