Trying to decide

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
Gimli61

Trying to decide

Postby Gimli61 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:14 pm

61 year old male new to the group have had ED since my late 30s, widowed 19 years and diabetic I'm thinking of getting a penile prosthesis, although I can still achieve partial erection. I'm wondering whether to get one in case I find someone special. Any comments or ideas would be welcome! And I thank you for your time.

Lost Sheep

Re: Trying to decide

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Gimli61 wrote:61 year old male new to the group have had ED since my late 30s, widowed 19 years and diabetic I'm thinking of getting a penile prosthesis, although I can still achieve partial erection. I'm wondering whether to get one in case I find someone special. Any comments or ideas would be welcome! And I thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forum, Gimli61.

I got an implant because I wanted to be able to have sex. Like you, I wanted to be ready in case I met "someone special". I half-joked that I wanted to redeem the debt of orgasms I failed to give to the wonderful women with whom I had sex with a semi-limp "erection".

But the really valid reason was that I wanted to be able to simply HAVE an erection. Restored function = restored manhood sort of thing. Self-actualization.

Like you, I am diabetic, and at the time, without a partner and 67-68 years old when I made the decision. I could achieve partial erections sufficient for orgasm through fellatio and with oral medications erections sufficient for vaginal coitus. But I wanted more.

So, I worked for and got an implant. Never had a moment of doubt, even through the pain and inconvenience of the operation and have no regrets at all, four years post-op.

I am now in a relationship with a wonderful woman who loves it that I have an implant which enables me to "properly" make love with her.

Note: If oral medications worked, I would probably still be using them, but they lost effectiveness and I rejected suppositories, vacuum erection devices and injections for various reasons.

An erection by implant has drawbacks, for sure. Spontaneity is lessened (no erection in direct response to your lover - some women put a lot of stock in that.) An implant is non-reversible and will render unable to get an erection without it. An implant does not cure E.D. Essentially it guarantees 100% impotence until you inflate. If you could struggle through a 10 minute mile on your own feet, would you opt for prosthetic feet that enabled a 4 minute mile, but if (when) they failed, would leave you in a wheelchair until you have another surgery?

But life is too short to miss the joys of sex and too long to endure its absence.

No regrets here.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Up4Real?

Postby Up4Real? » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:56 pm

Why not? You probably should investigate all the other options first as an implant is irreversible. It may be (subconsciously? or not) influencing making yourself available to a committed relationship.
Good luck with the implant or whatever path you choose and / or finding a special someone. There are a lot of us out here with artificial erections that are quite pleased with that decision but again mostly after investigating multiple options. You can learn all about the other options on F/T too.
All the best.
Up
1947-76YO Uncut Married 47 years to supportive wife. Serious ED at 65YO. Used pills, VED, rings, Muse, Increasing Trimix: discontinued with 85 units of 80/3/25 didn't work. Got peyronies. 22cm Coloplast Titan 11/18/20. Legacy pump.125ml reservoir. Pleased

Rider1400

Postby Rider1400 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:50 pm

I’ve been on the journey for over 10 years. I’m 56 now. Pills worked fine for 10 years then began to fail. Intro trimix shots. Work great and then sometimes they don’t… after a yer on injections I’m tired of having to stick a needle in it to get hard!! Starting to get a little scar tissue on both sides also… I’ve caught the good fight now trying to get a prostate procedure done(aquablation) to sort that issue and then asap starting my implant journey.
58year old ED started mid 40s pills failed after 10 years. Injections works but diminishing results with pain. Implanted 5-22 Baylor,Scott,and White Dallas.Dr Michael Wierschem, infrapubic Coloplast 20cm and 1cm RTE. Going strong and loving it!

Return to “General Discussion”