Pelvic floor therapy?

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
gman22

Pelvic floor therapy?

Postby gman22 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:02 pm

Has anyone gone to a physical therapist for their pelvic floor? My urologist said I have one of the tightest pelvic floors he’s ever seen and I have my first appointment tommorow. Hoping by loosening it up I can start to see some changes.

ftwabeck3533

Re: Pelvic floor therapy?

Postby ftwabeck3533 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:55 am

Yes, I went a couple times, before my surgery (radical prostatectomy). The woman specialized in PFT and was exceptional. Ask the therapist to place a sensor in your rectum, and you can watch the strength and duration of your muscle contractions. They will teach you the difference in controlling your rectum versus the urinary sphincter. Pretty incredible. Practice the correct exercises and it will be a life-long reward to you. And, yes, I am still kegeling along 2+ years after surgery and 99.9% continent.
Born 1955, Erectile Dysfunction, Robotic Prostatectomy (Oct 2018, Dr Bugg @ UCA, Birmingham, AL), PSA<0.007, Trimix User (30 mg Papaverine HCL, 1 mg Phentolamine MES, 10 mcg Alprostadil per 1 ML. My dose is 0.16 ML)

WyoMan

Postby WyoMan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:21 pm

gman 22
I'm wondering about the statement that you have the tightest pelvic floor the doctor has seen. Usually pelvic floor therapy is for strengthening the muscles.

And Yes I have had the therapy for about 6 weeks this spring-until the virus was a big deal. I had been having some incontinence (Urgency and then not being able to hold it) and too many trips to bathroom at night. I also had had recent 'green light laser' procedure done. The therapist said therapy would help after the PVP as well as the incontinence.
I have been able to control my bladder after that surgery most of the time.
80; married 57 years; HBP well controlled, overweight. Prostate Arterial Embolization Jan 2017: No indication of cancer. Injections failed. Implanted Nov. 2, 2018. Dr. Karin Dolan, Billings, Mt. AMS LGX 15 cm+2 2.5 cm RTE. 65 ml reservoir.

Reggieman

Postby Reggieman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:44 pm

I had it. Didn't help one bit.
Retired. R.P. 2016. Bilateral nerve sparing surgery. Now use .15cc of Bimix twice weekly & anorgasmia, moderately incontinent. Wife no longer interested so go solo with Electro-stim using Erostek ET-312. Now am Type 2 diabetic.

Frank Talk Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frank Talk Admin » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:22 pm

You are discussing different Pelvic Floor therapy. STrengthening the pelvic floor is not for tight pelvic floors.
Tight pelvic floor = Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome. Kegels will put you in the ER.

weak pelvic floor needs Kegels.

I wish there were better terms for all this. Also, pelvic floor PT's are rare. Find them at www.pelvicrehab.com
Paul

gman22

Postby gman22 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:27 pm

Frank Talk Admin wrote:You are discussing different Pelvic Floor therapy. STrengthening the pelvic floor is not for tight pelvic floors.
Tight pelvic floor = Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome. Kegels will put you in the ER.

weak pelvic floor needs Kegels.

I wish there were better terms for all this. Also, pelvic floor PT's are rare. Find them at http://www.pelvicrehab.com
Paul

Yeah that’s why I mentioned trying to loosen it. We’re working on yoga stretches for that. Reverse kegels actually work for a tight floor to but doing regular kegals can make it worse. She also spends about 15 minutes with her finger inside my rectum massaging it. I can feel a slight difference.

Frank Talk Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frank Talk Admin » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:56 pm

We also recommend stress managment...therapy and meds. Lots of PT, even suppositories etc to get it under control

Return to “General Discussion”