5ar inhibitors (Saw Palmetto, Propecia/Finasteride, Rogain, Dutasteride) can casue Venous Leakage

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
ViaSwiss

5ar inhibitors (Saw Palmetto, Propecia/Finasteride, Rogain, Dutasteride) can casue Venous Leakage

Postby ViaSwiss » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:42 pm

Age 35. Venous Leakage & Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) since age 18.
Original Implant | June 25, 2021 | 20cm Titan w 1.5cm & 1cm RTEs
Revision | November 16, 2021 | 26cm | Dr. Hakky

Simbarn

Re: 5ar inhibitors (Saw Palmetto, Propecia/Finasteride, Rogain, Dutasteride) can casue Venous Leakage

Postby Simbarn » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:54 pm

Thank you for posting this. I am very happy to see some more evidence finally of how damaging 5ar inhibitors can be.
I have known young men who have been seriously adversely affected by these drugs; sexually and mentally after using them for a period of time.
I have always thought it was an insane proposition to alter hormone pathways in a healthy young male to combat hair-loss. Dihydrotestosterone is the more potent androgen of the two: testosterone and dihydrotestosterone.
It is a very important player in the male hormone environment.
For those that do not know, finasteride dramatically reduces the ability of testosterone to be converted into dihydrotestosterone. Essentially it is a demasculinizing drug.
Propecia in my opinion should be banned.

With all the research I have been doing on the various causes of erectile dysfunction, I found some evidence recently of how finasteride can cause problems with tissue structure in the corpus cavernosum. Specifically with regard to the maintenance and alterations of smooth muscle.
The loss of dihydrotestosterone may also affect the frequency and duration of nocturnal erections and therefore accelerate the aging process within the penis.
The loss of smooth muscle and increase of fibrotic tissue in the penis, can lead to CVOD or venous leakage.
It was therefore very interesting to read in the article you posted of the vascular abnormities seen with the subjects in that study.

Would anyone consider lowering their testosterone levels in order to combat hair-loss? I don’t think so. Dihydrotestosterone is equally as important in our male bodies.
Age 57, ED issues for 15-20 years. Testosterone replacement with Enanthate and Ovidrel. Currently using generic Tadalafil 2.5mgs and Resveratrol daily.

Flavio

Re: 5ar inhibitors (Saw Palmetto, Propecia/Finasteride, Rogain, Dutasteride) can casue Venous Leakage

Postby Flavio » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Thank you for posting this, it is so important.

I took finasteride for over 20 years and it worked extremely well. I started going bald when I was 17, today I am 43 and still have great hair (NW2) and it's all thanks to Proscar.

And yes, there were sexual side effects: decrased semen, low libido.

Two months ago, finasteride stopped working. I was shedding like crazy, there was hair all over the place (not just the pillow or bathtub but literally all over the house) and I was genuinely scared. I had to do something, so I changed to Avodart. In less than two weeks, shedding stopped and my hair now looks thicker and healthier than ever. Avodart works and is much more effective than finasteride.

I am terrified of possible side effects, though. This drug is an atomic bomb in your organism but I don't want to go bald, either.
Age 40. Psychogenic ED for over 20 years. Current regimen: Udenafil 200 mg, oral phentolamine mesylate 40 mg, Seredyn.

thereishope

Postby thereishope » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Amazing the importance some people put on hair. It's insane. Anyway... we will welcome you with open arms, when you finally go for your implant after the adverse side effects from this drug. You will be enjoying your hair, and your newfound bionic abilities! 8-)

Flavio

Postby Flavio » Fri May 01, 2020 6:20 am

thereishope wrote:Amazing the importance some people put on hair. [...]

Hair is important and it's not about vanity, it's about self-esteem and being happy with what you see in the mirror.

I'm definitely no Brad Pitt but I'm happy and proud that I'm 43 y.o. and still have great hair. I have earned my hair, I was probably one of the first men in the world to use Proscar for hair loss (Propecia didn't even exist back then) and it worked.

If you're bald and it doesn't bother you, that's great. In my case, however, it would NOT look good AT ALL.
Age 40. Psychogenic ED for over 20 years. Current regimen: Udenafil 200 mg, oral phentolamine mesylate 40 mg, Seredyn.

Tellmehow

Postby Tellmehow » Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 am

ViaSwiss wrote:https://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/penile-vascular-abnormalities-found-in-majority-of-pfs-patients-in-baylor-college-of-medicine-study/

Also check out propeciahelp.com

Thanks. Even using topical liquid Minoxidil on hair can cause Venous Leakage?

thereishope

Postby thereishope » Sat May 02, 2020 12:03 am

Flavio wrote:
thereishope wrote:Amazing the importance some people put on hair. [...]

Hair is important and it's not about vanity, it's about self-esteem and being happy with what you see in the mirror.

I'm definitely no Brad Pitt but I'm happy and proud that I'm 43 y.o. and still have great hair. I have earned my hair, I was probably one of the first men in the world to use Proscar for hair loss (Propecia didn't even exist back then) and it worked.

If you're bald and it doesn't bother you, that's great. In my case, however, it would NOT look good AT ALL.

What about hair implants? pricier but no side effects?

Flavio

Postby Flavio » Sat May 02, 2020 5:50 am

No hair transplants, the risks are too great and I'm not going to butcher my scalp.

I know the technology has improved greatly in recent years but transferring hair from the back of the head to the front has always sounded demented to me.

There is a new topical treatment called Breezula that shows great promise. It should be available next year. Until then, I am going to continue to use Avodart. Results have been brilliant so far, thank God for that.

Flavio

Postby Flavio » Sat May 02, 2020 5:54 am

Tellmehow wrote:
ViaSwiss wrote:https://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/penile-vascular-abnormalities-found-in-majority-of-pfs-patients-in-baylor-college-of-medicine-study/

As far as I know, minoxidil has no sexual side effects. If you want to try it, I strongly recommend the foam. The liquid was a bit messy and irritated my scalp.

Simbarn

Postby Simbarn » Sun May 03, 2020 7:27 pm

Tellmehow wrote:

Minoxidil is not currently identified as a 5ar inhibitor. Its actions with regard to treating androgenetic alopecia remain elusive. There have been studies suggesting that it may affect or supress androgen receptor related functions, as well as the more commonly considered therapeutic action of vasodilation (improved blood flow) and angiogenesis (preservation or improvement of vascular supply to the hair follicle).
There is a recent study with a hypothesis that it may be antiandrogenic, down regulating the 5a-R2 gene.

I found this in regard to a case of ED from the possible use of Minoxidil.
http://www.ijmrps.com/Issues%20PDF/Vol.4/May-2017/5.pdf

It was interesting to read that minoxidil may have alpha-adrenoceptor agonist properties.
If enough of the drug is absorbed systemically it could affect sympathetic function in the penis.

Normally systemic absorption is minimal due to topical administration, but it can happen as explained in the report. Some individuals may absorb the drug through the skin more readily than others. Some males seem to be genetically predisposed to a greater sensitivity to adrenergic sensitivity in the penis than others. Any further stimulation of this pathway may be enough to cause erectile difficulties in these males. Venous leakage could in essence be the end result, due to insufficient relaxation of the smooth muscle in the corpus cavernosum from an excessive sympathetic tone.
Age 57, ED issues for 15-20 years. Testosterone replacement with Enanthate and Ovidrel. Currently using generic Tadalafil 2.5mgs and Resveratrol daily.

Return to “General Discussion”