Can venous leaks be treated?

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
Way out west

Can venous leaks be treated?

Postby Way out west » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:08 am

I need to get a diagnosis carried out, which given where I live, is easier said than done, but I do seem to have signs that point towards a venous leak. I was wondering whether it's something that can be treated and if so, how...

oatmealkid

Re: Can venous leaks be treated?

Postby oatmealkid » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:33 am

Depends on the cause of the leak.
A normally healthy person can put a tourniquet on the arm, place a finger on a swollen vein, push AWAY from the heart, and when the finger is removed the vein stays flat.
Veins have one-way valves that cause this.
In my late 30s I lost this ability, meaning my heart has to work harder to pump blood, causing heart disease. This is similar to venous leak but there is no treatment for the condition.
Diagnosis to determine the cause would be expensive and might reveal a condition like mine that can't be treated. Doing so might be considered risking harm to the patient, which ethical doctors won't do.
Unless the leak is easily repairable it shouldn't be attempted, and expensive procedures to diagnose a possibly untreatable condition would likely seem unethical to a doctor (I would avoid any doctor it didn't seem so to).
70yo m Fla. Severe ED due to type2 diabetes.

Flavio

Postby Flavio » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:14 am

oatmealkid wrote:Depends on the cause of the leak.
[...]

I had never heard of venous leaks before and it seems that this condition is a big mystery. Causes and treatments are still largely unknown. As always, penile implants are a final solution.
Age 40. Psychogenic ED for over 20 years. Current regimen: Udenafil 200 mg, oral phentolamine mesylate 40 mg, Seredyn.

Flavio

Postby Flavio » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:29 am

We don't even know how prevalent VL really is, there are still no official numbers.
Age 40. Psychogenic ED for over 20 years. Current regimen: Udenafil 200 mg, oral phentolamine mesylate 40 mg, Seredyn.

oatmealkid

Postby oatmealkid » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:43 am

From what I've seen doctors only check for venous leak when determining if an implant is warranted.
If the problem is ED then an implant provides a cure, obviating the need for fixing a venous leak - in fact surgery to fix the leak would become unnecessary surgery.
70yo m Fla. Severe ED due to type2 diabetes.

Flavio

Postby Flavio » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:58 am

I wonder if stents could be used to treat venous leak...

https://www.issm.info/sexual-health-qa/ ... sfunction/

Way out west

Postby Way out west » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 am

I did stumble across this place: https://mhdclinic.com/venous-leakage-treatment-surgery/, which sounds quite promising and will no doubt be much cheaper than in the UK, not that I'm looking to solve things the cheapest way, but from the website, it sounds like they know what they are talking about, as opposed to the few people I've seen in the UK, that clearly don't!

ETGuy71

Postby ETGuy71 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 am

No stents would not help with VL. The stent is to increase flow in arterial system by opening an area where a stenosis(blockage) has occurred. Venous leak is exactly what it says, the blood leaks, or returns to the venous system to circulate for re-oxygenation turn pumped back into arterial system from the left ventricle of the heart. The leak in penis causes the lack of ability to get or maintain erection. It’s a complex system of how penis gets erect and stays erect, lots of factors have to work properly, from nerves, to arterial system, to venous all responding to stimuli in proper sequence!
Diagnosed venous leak. Going with injections rather than implant for the time being.

SteveSW

Postby SteveSW » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:38 pm

My doc confirmed my VL through a lengthy ultrasound following an injection to achieve a partial erection. He told me it was "severe" and no known cure or corrective action was available. Confirmed that a pump was needed, which will be happening in the next few months.
20 years of severe Peyronie's plaque, 90 curve, hinging and ED. Cost me 1.5" L and 1" G.
Implanted 2/18/21, AMS CX, 18 CM + 3 RTE, penoscrotal. Have gained 3/4". Gay, married, age 68.

dtwarren1942

Postby dtwarren1942 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:52 pm

Trimix or similar injections can generate additional blood flow which can overcome minor venous leaks in some cases. The injections worked for me for three years until the leak apparently got worse and the injections no longer worked.

I am currently using a VED.
Age 81
Diabetic
Pumping
Started Trimix injections 8/'11

Return to “General Discussion”