3 piece changed to malleable

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
galderson44

3 piece changed to malleable

Postby galderson44 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Has anyone had a 3 piece implant changed to a malleable implant? I no longer have feelings and my wife does not want to do it any longer.
I am 74 years old and live near San Diego, CA. Had my 3 piece implant done 3 years ago by DR. Karpman. Due to MS I no longer have feeling in my hands and am no longer able to inflate. "ANY HELP" would be greatly appreciated!

Larry10625

Re: 3 piece changed to malleable

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:34 am

galderson44 wrote:Has anyone had a 3 piece implant changed to a malleable implant? I no longer have feelings and my wife does not want to do it any longer.

Welcome to Frank Talk.
Please create a signature. It makes things much easier to answer your questions without asking a lot of questions. Here's how you do it
Click on your name in the top right corner and select "user control panel"

Then under the big letters "User Control Panel" there is a row of words... select "Profile"

Then down the left had side of the "User Control Panel" select "Edit Signature" (You might have Create Signature or something. I don't know exactly what you'll get because I already have a signature to edit)

Most guys put something like what I have, but you can put whatever you want. Here is mine -
51 years old, married 29 years. Implanted Mar 30/17 by Dr. Brock of London, Ont, CANADA. (AMS 700 CX 18 + 2). Had implant removed Apr 29/17 due to Septic Shock. Liposuction By Dr. Gan and re-implant by Dr. Brock (AMS LGX 15 + 2) Dec 14/17.

Don't get too carried away with the doctor like his name, address, phone number, etc (anything that looks like advertising for him).. you can certainly say Dr. Jones (great Dr.)

Can you please be sure to put your city, state/province and country.

If you need further help, please ask, that's what I'm here for.

Larry

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:42 am

galderson44 wrote:Has anyone had a 3 piece implant changed to a malleable implant? I no longer have feelings and my wife does not want to do it any longer.

If you no longer are interested in sex at all, why would you have an elective surgical procedure that is simply not necessary. :)

Larry

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Larry10625 wrote:

If you no longer are interested in sex at all, why would you have an elective surgical procedure that is simply not necessary. :)

Larry

Larry's question is quite on point. If your 3-piece is not causing any trouble, why replace it? There is the usual surgical risk (infection, anesthesia, etc), costs, discomfort and the malleable implants have well-known logistical problems (potential damage to your body tissues, difficulty stowing your penis since it does not shrink or soften are the two that come to mind immediately).
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

galderson44

Postby galderson44 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:12 pm

It's not that my wife doesn't want sex but she does not want to put the 3 piece up. She has done it for 1 1/2 years and no longer want to keep inflating the system.
I am 74 years old and live near San Diego, CA. Had my 3 piece implant done 3 years ago by DR. Karpman. Due to MS I no longer have feeling in my hands and am no longer able to inflate. "ANY HELP" would be greatly appreciated!

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm

galderson44 wrote:It's not that my wife doesn't want sex but she does not want to put the 3 piece up. She has done it for 1 1/2 years and no longer want to keep inflating the system.

Ah, that begins to make sense. Pumping up is an inconvenience, even for me with enough use of my hands to manage without needing to enlist my lover's help.

Balance that convenience against the convenience/inconvenience of the malleable and you can evaluate the trade-off.

Contemplating a malleable might be easier to do if you have some experience what it might be like to live with one 25/7 and the issues you might be dealing with. I suggest you might leave your inflatable pumped up just enough to be full size, but at minimum rigidity. How concealable is that? How comfortable for all-day activities (including sleeping). Of course, the malleable will be able to be pointed in directions a partially pumped inflatable will not sustain, but you will get an idea of the accommodations you will have to make.

Asking for the experiences of men here with malleables is a prudent piece of wisdom. There have been a few threads in the history addressing the questions you will want to have the answers to.

In addition to considering a malleable, I would suggest seeing if there is any way you could figure out any way you could manage the inflation yourself. Perhaps with the aid of a device (sufficiently safe to avoid injury to yourself or the pump). Deflation might still have to be aided by your wife, but she might find that acceptable? Or a deflationary tool might allow you to do both operations without her help. Contacting the Patient Liaison and detailing your situation might yield some worthwhile ideas.

Imagine, if you would, a very soft and gentle pliers-like tool that could pump up the implant without endangering yourself or the implant. And a second tool that would press the release button. You might be able to operate such tools yourself, or your wife might find them acceptable. By the way, what is it your wife finds objectionable? Is she afraid of hurting you? Are her hands not strong enough? Does it kill her mood? I am not trying to pry, just hoping for a non-surgical solution.

Last resort: There are researchers working on inflatables that do not require pumping up with saline. One that has been discussed in the past year (with animal trials already in the offing, I think) involves Nitinol (Shape-Memory-Alloy) that expands and stiffens when heated (by a magnetic tool) to a particular temperature (104 Fahrenheit, if I recall correctly) and then returns to smaller and flexible later. You might be a candidate for human trials? Your Patient Liaison might be up-to-date on the latest research.

Good luck
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

galderson44

Postby galderson44 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks Lost Sheep, Thanks for you answer. Your idea of leaving it partially inflated is a good one. Great idea!
The most undesirable aspects are 1. It kills the spur of the moment,2. She hates to plan for sex, 3. She doesn't feel as though that is natural. I think she would like the erection to happen as it use to happen. I think she realizes were not 18-25 though.

I did meet with the rep from AMS several weeks ago and after trying to help me he came to the conclusion I am not able to pump it up. The DR. told me to use both hands. One to hold the ball tight and the other to squeeze the ball. I tried that once to no avail. I have mostly tried to inflate it when I'am sitting on the toilet. I have tried in bed a few times all with no luck.

I was schedule for surgery next Tues. but just cancelled it. My wife refused to go with me because of what my MS causes after surgery. The last time I spent 2 days in the hospital with no other effects and we both drove 8 hrs the next day. After rotator cuff surgery my wife could barely get me out of bed for 5 days. The implant only took about 20 minutes and I'm sure that made a big difference. The DR. says this could take about 45 min.

My wife stated she would pump it up if I didn't have the surgery. That still causes some of the same problems but that is probable the best option for now. Your idea of leaving it inflated just short of being hard is a great idea because another objection she has is it will or could be a potential problem sticking out or being noticeable.

Your idea of talking to guys that have the malleable is also a good idea. I will look on the site and see what those guys have experienced. If I don't find any comments on that then a will start a discussion.

Thanks Again
galderson44

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm

galderson44 wrote:Thanks Lost Sheep, Thanks for you answer. Your idea of leaving it partially inflated is a good one. Great idea!
The most undesirable aspects are 1. It kills the spur of the moment,2. She hates to plan for sex, 3. She doesn't feel as though that is natural. I think she would like the erection to happen as it use to happen. I think she realizes were not 18-25 though.

I did meet with the rep from AMS several weeks ago and after trying to help me he came to the conclusion I am not able to pump it up. The DR. told me to use both hands. One to hold the ball tight and the other to squeeze the ball. I tried that once to no avail. I have mostly tried to inflate it when I'am sitting on the toilet. I have tried in bed a few times all with no luck.

I was schedule for surgery next Tues. but just cancelled it. My wife refused to go with me because of what my MS causes after surgery. The last time I spent 2 days in the hospital with no other effects and we both drove 8 hrs the next day. After rotator cuff surgery my wife could barely get me out of bed for 5 days. The implant only took about 20 minutes and I'm sure that made a big difference. The DR. says this could take about 45 min.

My wife stated she would pump it up if I didn't have the surgery. That still causes some of the same problems but that is probable the best option for now. Your idea of leaving it inflated just short of being hard is a great idea because another objection she has is it will or could be a potential problem sticking out or being noticeable.

Your idea of talking to guys that have the malleable is also a good idea. I will look on the site and see what those guys have experienced. If I don't find any comments on that then a will start a discussion.

Thanks Again
galderson44

You are most welcome. I am happy to be of help.

When I first got my implant and was able to pump comfortably, I had trouble controlling the bulb and valve. The bulb tended to slip out of my grasp and threatened to let my fingernails scratch or cut my scrotal skin, or, at least, bruise my balls. My pump bulb is forward and left and below my left testicle. I found I could wrap my right hand thumb and forefinger around the base of my penis to hold the pump body and use my left hand forefinger to capture the pump bulb up against the BASE of my thumb and put a lot of pressure on the bulb and not lose control of my grip (which would let the bulb slip away and result in pinching my scrotum - ouch!) There are many many hand positions you might be able to manage.

Yes, the loss of the natural "sprouting" of an erection in her hands or mouth is troubling to some women. The thrill of "authorship" is important and even if illusory, is part of the sexual/love experience.

"Sticking out" in clothing during the day can be mitigated (for either a malleable or a partially inflated "at the ready, so to speak") by judicious choice of underwear. There are many threads on the subject. David Archy is a manufacturer's name that comes up a lot, but there are many others.

My suggestion of having the implant partially inflated was intended to let you get an idea of the problems (of comfort and concealability) that accompany a malleable. But a secondary feature is that going from partially pumped to fully pumped requires less time and effort. I have never pumped up sitting on the toilet, but many men recommend pumping up in a warm bath (warmth makes the bulb softer) or a hot shower, especially in the first year when the pump is not yet broken in fully.

To find threads on malleables, search on "malleable", "semi-rigid", "one-piece", "Spectra" and "Genesis"

also read this article which describes the historical progression of implants and the pros and cons
Penile prosthesis implant: scientific advances and technological innovations over the last four decades
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5313299/

galderson44 wrote:My wife stated she would pump it up if I didn't have the surgery.

Who knows? She might come to feel the activity of her "pumping you up" is enjoyable foreplay for her. :idea:
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:09 am

galderson44 wrote:Thanks Lost Sheep, Thanks for you answer. Your idea of leaving it partially inflated is a good one. Great idea!

Thanks Again
galderson44

So everyone, with all of the Australian surgery I have had, I can tell you do NOT get any more surgery than absolutely. First of all after 50, every time you are put to sleep, you risk not waking up. Second, every time they cut the skin you risk them cutting nerves and a significant loss of feeling. I have this and it's not nice. For example, when my wife is giving me a BJ, I feel very little and I have to watch her.. the visual is now the turn-on. She doesn't know it and I will never tell her because she will blame herself. One way to making pumping is to take a nice hot bath or use a electric heating pad on your scrotum for 10 to 15 minutes before you pump... it makes the rubber pump much softer and easy to squeeze. Finally, for some reason the malleable implant has a higher % of infection rate. :)

Larry

Return to “General Discussion”