Stomach virus leads to heart attack, keyto acidosis and renal failure

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
dtwarren1942

Stomach virus leads to heart attack, keyto acidosis and renal failure

Postby dtwarren1942 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:30 pm

The night before Memorial Day, I suffered with violent vomiting and diarrhea which continued unti 5:00 pm the next day. When my blood sugar levels exceeded 600 my wife drove me to the local emergency room where I was diagnosed with extreme dehydration bringing on diabetic keytoacidosis (blood sugar ove 1,000) renal failure, and heart attack. After being hooked up to a saline and insulin drip, I was transferred to another hospital the next day for a heart cathertization which thankfully revealed no blockages. After four days all my blood tests came in normal so I was discharged.

My endocrinologist called today to advise that my latest blood test revealed better numbers than the one performed three months ago. Apparently, the dehydration brought on the elevated blood sugar which in combination thickened the blood so much that it put a strain on my heart and kidneys. He jockingly said that I had endured the most strenuous heart stress test ever devised and I came through with flying colors.
Age 81
Diabetic
Pumping
Started Trimix injections 8/'11

VegasED
Location: Las Vegas NV, actually I live in Henderson a suburb of LV

Re: Stomach virus leads to heart attack, keyto acidosis and renal failure

Postby VegasED » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:27 am

Hello dtwarren1942, glad to hear you're doing well now. As a fellow Diabetic, I've learned the hard way that any sickness or stress our bodies experience our blood sugars go through the roof! It's amazing to me how just too much sugar in our blood can reek havoc on us. Again, glad you pulled through OK. VegasED
VegasED 61 yo - Insulin Diabetic - Coloplast Implanted 11-6-17, tubing issue pictures posted 6/11/18

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:58 am

Wow. Scary day for you. So glad you are doing better.

I'm also diabetic, type 2. I had no idea that dehydration and a virus could cause that kind of trouble. I appreciate you posting the information and making us aware.

Try not to do any more of that kind of stress testing.

Wishing you the best,
Quincy
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:22 pm

dtwarren1942 wrote:The night before Memorial Day, I suffered with violent vomiting and diarrhea which continued unti 5:00 pm the next day. When my blood sugar levels exceeded 600 my wife drove me to the local emergency room where I was diagnosed with extreme dehydration bringing on diabetic keytoacidosis (blood sugar ove 1,000) renal failure, and heart attack. After being hooked up to a saline and insulin drip, I was transferred to another hospital the next day for a heart cathertization which thankfully revealed no blockages. After four days all my blood tests came in normal so I was discharged.

My endocrinologist called today to advise that my latest blood test revealed better numbers than the one performed three months ago. Apparently, the dehydration brought on the elevated blood sugar which in combination thickened the blood so much that it put a strain on my heart and kidneys. He jockingly said that I had endured the most strenuous heart stress test ever devised and I came through with flying colors.

Glad you're better. :)

Larry

Return to “General Discussion”