My shockwave journey

One of the newer treatments for ED, Shock Wave Therapy is still in it's experimental stages. While the treatment often sounds promising, it is only effective for a few patients and the results are not permanent. Informed Consumers are the best patients!
piccode

My shockwave journey

Postby piccode » Tue May 16, 2023 11:28 am

I wrote about my injections in a previous post (see link below)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21377

Here is info on my shockwave therapy.
Based on the cause of my ED (diabetes), my research and the urologist concurred that I was a good candidate for shock therapy. The urologist was 100% up front on the possible benefits and also stated that the treatment could have limited effect. Based on my medical review, he stated that the treatment would not 100% cure my ED. Best scenario would be to be able to go back to using pills only or to reduce the units of TRIMIX.

Before:
TRIMIX formula before Shockwave treatment: Papaverine 30mg/Phentolamine 1mg/Prostaglandin 10mcg. Reached desired results at 35 units.
Tadalafil is 20 mg (not used to trimix): Gets it hard enough for my wife to blow me to completion, but no chance at penetration.

Device used by the urologist medical staff: Storz medical duolith 501
Cost was $2,400 for 6 sessions.
I went twice a week (the doctor stated studies showed same results for 2 times a week for 3 weeks, vs 1 time a week for 6 weeks)

They used a predefined "range" of shock levels (I do not have the specifics of these levels).

My first session was at their lowest level, during the session I could clearly feel a low level "electrical shock" from the device. The "shock" was provided in 6 places: at the bottom of the penis shaft, just below in head (center), 2 spots on the right side of the penis and 2 spots on the left side of the penis.

Second session: we discussed my recovery post that first session and decided to up the voltage level. The "shock level" clearly increased, but manageable as I was able to keep a conversation with the nurse going to distract myself.

Third session: we discussed my recovery post that second session and decided to up the voltage to their max level. The "shock level" and pain level really increased, it was borderline manageable. I decided to do my best to manage the pain of the shocks, as I hoped the "higher settings" would improve results.

4th, 5th and 6th - all sessions at the highest levels.

Results: I started to notice slight improvements after the third session. Improved maxed out about 2 months after completing treatment.

Before shockwave:
TRIMIX formula: Papaverine 30mg/Phentolamine 1mg/Prostaglandin 10mcg. Reached desired results at 35 units.
Tadalafil is 20 mg (not used to trimix): Gets it hard enough for my wife to blow me to completion, but no chance at penetration.

After shockwave:
Positive: TRIMIX formula: Papaverine 30mg/Phentolamine 1mg/Prostaglandin 10mcg. Reached desired results at 20 units.
Positive: Gets it hard enough for my wife to blow me to completion, but no chance at penetration without Tadalafil.
Positive: get a 40% morning wood and when the penis is at rest - it's bigger/thicker.
Positive: The penis reacts quicker to the trimix show.
Positive: with the reduced number of units of trimix, my "“deep ache” in my penis after using trimix is gone/easier climax

not so positive: Tadalafil 20 mg still does not get my penis hard enough for penetration.

Conclusion:
I was blessed to have the money to spend on the therapy. as it is not covered by insurance.
Based on the positive (though somewhat limited) results I obtained, I think my decision to do the service was the right move for me and I have no regrets.
turned 60 in Jan of 2023 and started using 35 units of TRIMIX: Papaverine 30mg/Phentolamine 1mg/Prostaglandin 10mcg

Mazzio

Re: My shockwave journey

Postby Mazzio » Tue May 16, 2023 3:16 pm

I have read that in some cases 6 shockwave sessions is not enough. Some men get even 12 sessions. Did they offer you more sessions after 6?
65 yrs, had venous leak all my life, sildenafil and other pills don't work anymore properly, using Caverject with pills.

piccode

Postby piccode » Tue May 16, 2023 7:21 pm

Mazzio…

That was discussed, based on gov testing between 6 and 12 sessions would be appropriate.

I had to balance cost vs benefits. I am happy with the results of 6 sessions and and I do not have another $2,400 to spend right now on 6 more.

Plan is more treatments in the future as a tune-up, if/when the gains from the 6 sessions diminish.
turned 60 in Jan of 2023 and started using 35 units of TRIMIX: Papaverine 30mg/Phentolamine 1mg/Prostaglandin 10mcg

Mazzio

Postby Mazzio » Wed May 17, 2023 6:42 am

2400 for 6 session is too expensive. The right price is 150-200 per session.
65 yrs, had venous leak all my life, sildenafil and other pills don't work anymore properly, using Caverject with pills.

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Wed May 17, 2023 9:32 am

That was a lot of money for marginal results. Almost every story I hear of shockwave treatments the guy either has limited results or nothing. Then having to do it again when results diminish.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

piccode

Postby piccode » Wed May 17, 2023 11:46 am

Mazzo - I live in the Boston MA area where things are a bit pricey. This was the lowest cost shockwave in the greater Boston area.

Old guy: “a lot of money” is a relative term. From my point of view and being blessed to have a very well paying job, it was not a lot of money to spend.I was able to reduce my trimix by approx by 33 percent.

Overall, I am happy I spent the money and with the results.

Mazzio

Postby Mazzio » Fri May 19, 2023 2:52 am

I live in Europe. It seems that shockwave is popular in the Nordic countries and Germany and Switzerland. Stortz is the major brand of shockwave units.

I think that shockwave was brought to market too soon. There was not enough research and the procedure is still evolving.

Return to “Shock Wave Therapy/Gainswave/Ultrasound”