Feminist inclined to more ed?

Posting in this forum is just for young members (under 40).
Anonymous FT Member

Feminist inclined to more ed?

Postby Anonymous FT Member » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:39 am

I read something online that claims there was some kind of study that shows where men who said they were feminists tend to report more ED. I think the study is baseless and bogus and just seems like an attempt to create division among men. What I do find interesting is that in my limited understanding of feminism, there could be gay men that identify with the feminist crowd. However what is interesting to me is that the gay section of FT is rather quiet. Not much action there, so does that actually imply that gay men have less issues with ED? What do you guys think?

FWIW I don't consider myself feminist, and I'd probably struggle to even define what it means. Yet here I am with concerns about my erections.

Lost Sheep

Re: Feminist inclined to more ed?

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:07 pm

One key element of your first line. "tend to report". It seems to me likely that feminist men might just be more comfortable with (and likely to report) revealing potentially embarrassing details of their sex lives. Supposing such men could be more in touch with their emotions and more forthcoming with other people.

I doubt that prevalence of ED in the gay men's population is any different than among straight men. Most causes of ED are physical and of the types that appear to me (non-medical professional) independent of sexual orientation. Psychological ED might be different, but I doubt it. (Note: I am not a medical or psychological professional.)

I hope my next speculation is not offensive, but a man (unable to achieve an erection sufficient to have penetrative sex) in a sexual relationship with another man could enjoy physical intimacy by being a "bottom". The desire for physical sexual intimacy in a heterosexual relationship depends a LOT on (the man) being able to penetrate the woman. Between men (of whom one would presumably not be troubled with ED) does not totally depend on being the penetrator, as he could easily be the penetratee.

As I indicated above, I hope this speculation is not offensive. I am straight and, while I think myself sensitive to alternative sexualities, gender and non-binary issues, I recognize that my depth of knowledge is rather shallow.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Anonymous FT Member

Postby Anonymous FT Member » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:52 pm

So based on what you said, do you think that might be why the FT section for gay men is more quiet?

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:31 pm

PSSDorAmINormal wrote:So based on what you said, do you think that might be why the FT section for gay men is more quiet?

I doubt it. I don't imagine sexual orientation has anything to do with it. Gay men have pretty much identical issues that straight men have with ED. Effects on intimate partner relationships are likely a bit different. But love is love, no matter what the gender, I think. There may be particular details that make a difference to the questions gay men have vs straghts, so having a sub-forum does make sense. But if you read it, I think you will see many of the same issues, questions and solutions with only slight differences.

But I also imagine that gay men might be more comfortable "among their own" with some questions or expect to get a more concentrated and appropriately oriented bolus of advice from other gay men. But in conversations I have had with Gays, I have found that they are just other people like all of us.

As far as that section being "more quiet", I am sure that gay men post in the other sections devoted to their particular question, like delayed ejaculation, posted in a subsection frequented only by gay man would miss out on a lot of answers from straights, and that issue crosses across orientations without regard to which side of the spectrum one is on.

The EXACT same analysis applies to young men vs older men. Most ED issues cross that spectrum just as much.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:41 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:I doubt that prevalence of ED in the gay men's population is any different than among straight men. Most causes of ED are physical and of the types that appear to me (non-medical professional) independent of sexual orientation. Psychological ED might be different, but I doubt it. (Note: I am not a medical or psychological professional.)

I need to supplement my previous post wherein I made the above statement.

Knowing that there is evidence that sexual orientation and gender identity have physical (brain structure) components, I will speculate that there may well be endocrinological differences between straight men, gay men and perhaps men who are or become feminists. I don't know. But such differences might possibly skew the potential for ED, if only a little.

I do know there are some very masculine gay men as well as very feminine straight men. The range of sexualities as well as gender-identification (which I see as subtly different from gender identity) is broad and the effects manifested in any individual or in any selection of the population at large will be VERY hard to delineate. (Meaning that studying the causes or prevalence of ED is unlikely to be simple, easy, definitive or uncontroversial.)

As I indicated before, I hope this speculation is not offensive to anyone. I am straight and, while I think myself sensitive to alternative sexualities, gender and non-binary issues, I recognize that my depth of knowledge is rather shallow.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

SteveSW

Postby SteveSW » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:19 pm

As a gay guy, I see it this way: men with ED (or a variety of other issues) whether they be gay, straight, Bi or non-binary etc., come to FT seeking answers and support. ED, implants, anorgasmia, PE or any of the other issue discussed here don't affect just straight or gay men. A limp dick is a limp dick, and the challenges and solutions are the same regardless of orientation. I rarely post in the gay section of this board because the issues discussed here are the same regardless.
20 years of severe Peyronie's plaque, 90 curve, hinging and ED. Cost me 1.5" L and 1" G.
Implanted 2/18/21, AMS CX, 18 CM + 3 RTE, penoscrotal. Have gained 3/4". Gay, married, age 68.

Return to “Young members”