My First Time Here

This is the place to say hi to the board. Tell us something about yourself. If you're not quite ready to post for advice, that's fine.
Forum rules
For your security and privacy, FrankTalk will time you out after five minutes if it senses no activity. Posting on the forums may take longer than five minutes and the site does not sense your typing a post as activity. If you are submitting a post that might take a few minutes to write, please compose it in a word processing program and then cut and paste it into the discussion board. This will save a lot of frustration.
Thanks
boomerbody

My First Time Here

Postby boomerbody » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Having been recommended here by a friend, I will be asking questions of those who have/ had prostate cancer. I'm interested in surgical methods and subsequent results regarding the male equipment. I'm 64 but on the younger side to have prostate cancer, so says my doctor! Maybe that's why I like to go to him! Not too sure what else to post at this point.

Cajun Jeff

Re: My First Time Here

Postby Cajun Jeff » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:49 pm

boomerbody: lots of Prostate Cancer guys here. Your not the youngest by the way. Welcome here and don't be bashful we call this frank talk for a good reason. If I am reading your post correctly you have not chosen a treatment. If that is the case i suggest that you check out another site as well. www.healingwell.com go to the Prostate Cancer section lost of info on treatment.

I had open radical 3 years ago and Ed is a continued problem. I currently use injections for erections. They work great.

Welcome to Frank Talk. When you get a chance try to join us in the chat room.

Cajun Jeff
68 years old, Married 48 years. Prostate Cancer surgery 11 years ago. Tried Pills, VED, moved to injections (EdEx) for past 6 years. Implanted with AMS 700 LGX by Dr Hellstrom in New Orleans at Tulane Medical. 1/13/20

regain-is-the-aim

Postby regain-is-the-aim » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Boomer:

Welcome! This is a good place. Like Jeff, I am also a PCa guy with robotic surgery. Had surgery at 61 and this month is my 5 year anniversary- so far so good with PSA at zero. You have time to study and think your options thru. This is a game changer - but to not treat, at our age, most usually ends the game. This is a big do-able so, while you will worry. It's OK. As Jeff said, there is a ton of experience on this site and everyone will help in any way we can. If I may- what was your PSA and how was the PCa discovered? Also, this is a major impact on relationships- include spouse, partner or significant other as much as possible and as soon as possible.

If you would like to talk, let me know. I will MAKE myself available to chat live or via the computer. I considered all options but with consensus of the 3 independent docs who reviewed my case felt robotic surgery was the only real option- because of my age and the fact the PCa appeared to be contained within the prostate. Now, as a treatment modality- the "freezing" process I am largely unfamiliar with.

There are, sorry to say, ED issues to face. But, with help from this site and your active participation you have a better chance, I think, at successful penile rehab. Question is; are you having any ED issues now and are their other aspects of your health status which may complicate a penile rehab program? You and your doc can work thru these as necessary.

If I may suggest: consider your priorities to be- 1). Get the PCa, 2). Deal/manage incontinence issues that may occur, & 3). Aggressive Penile Rehab for ED. And you start # 3 ASAP after surgery. I must add this is just my considered opinion and I'm not medically trained. Whatever path you choose; the doc should be EXPERIENCED in that treatment and he/she should detail with you the plan for penile rehab.

Please keep us posted and ask ?'s when ever you want. Feel free to join the chatroom. And contact any of us who have dealt with the PCa process.

Thanks for joining our clan. The guys here do care and support everyone with humor, experience and an accepting nature. Being here, this in not a journey you will take alone.

Regards,

Dick
"Regain-is-the-Aim"
Dick
PCa-surgery 10/06

boomerbody

Postby boomerbody » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Dick and Jeff:

I am so technologically inept that I did not even see your responses to my initial e-mail until today...nine months later! My apologies! I opted for robotic surgery and it was very successful as were my follow up tests and evaluations last week......PSA undetectable. Originally, my PSA was 29 but after weeks of anitbiotics, etc, it dropped to 10 and that's when the biopsy was done. Surgery occurred on June 6, 2012. The bonding period with the catheter was pretty much of a non-event and now am working through incontinence which does appear to be improving slowly. ED is now on the radar. Have a pump and samples of Muse but am also considering jelqing to assist with blood flow. I've read on several sites that it can help ED. Would either of you care to weigh in on that one? Thanks for your support.

John

Return to “Introductions and Hellos”