Need a bigger liquor cabinet

This is the place to say hi to the board. Tell us something about yourself. If you're not quite ready to post for advice, that's fine.
Forum rules
For your security and privacy, FrankTalk will time you out after five minutes if it senses no activity. Posting on the forums may take longer than five minutes and the site does not sense your typing a post as activity. If you are submitting a post that might take a few minutes to write, please compose it in a word processing program and then cut and paste it into the discussion board. This will save a lot of frustration.
Thanks
Too young

Need a bigger liquor cabinet

Postby Too young » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Well, I would like to say hello to all who have joined this forum for such a crappy situation. I find myself on the edge due to a recent Prostate cancer diagnosis. I am 36 and in overall good if not great health. I have never experienced, even to this day any ED issues. But I know that I face a road of uncertainity and confusion ahead. I have been reading over posts for a few weeks and have found them quite insightful and rather amusing at times. It certainly helps with my anxiety, but at the same time tends to add to it as well. All I can say is that I hope to have the strength and courage that most of you have in the coming months and years dealing with the aftermath of treatment. I look forward to learning more and possibly even making a few friends here.

Thanks,

CM

P.S. I'm not a big drinker but I think this requires me to keep what little liquor I have stocked and ready for the not so good days. Not that liquor is going to aid in this process but it might help ease the pain so to speak.

3mtrship

Re: Need a bigger liquor cabinet

Postby 3mtrship » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Hello to you Too Young,

None of us knows exactly what we will face because we are each different.

It is coincidental I would sign on tonight and see your new post.

Just today I had my 7 year checkup since my original diagnosis back in 2004 at the age of 60. Today my doctor says "Jim, we have both worked real hard for 7 years to meet and overcome the cancer found in your body. For the first time I feel like I can tell you to exhale and breathe a little easier."

He went on to state I no longer must see him twice a year and pay all that money as long as the VA continues to give me to PSA tests twice a year for free and I report those results to him.

This journey you have begun holds some real surprises. I will write more later as there is a storm coming and I have to shut my machine off.

I have now taken a moment to pause and reflect. There are a number of things you need to know at this early stage.

Prostate cancer is usually slow growing. You have time to work up a proper diagnosis. Don't rush into anything. You may not have forever but you usually have time to make a good decision.

I don't know about your personal situation but it sounds like you might be alone. I would recommend you try to change that. Having two sets of ears at all appointments is recommended.

Take notes and ask questions. Where do you find questions? Go here: http://www.yananow.org/ That site is run by Terry Herbert. He has organized his site different then most others. Just HIT the Panic button on that home page. That will lead you through a 4-5 step process. Those steps will cover most all aspects of Prostate Cancer including a wonderful list of questions on page 5 for the health care professionals you will have to deal with. As you move along through the process you will become more familiar with the special terms and therefore when you get a bad answer you will begin to recognize it for what it is, a bad answer. That will help you determine if you wish to continue dealing with that individual or make a change.

In closing I want to say two more things, My fellow members on this site have my respect for the same reason you lurked for a while and just now spoke up. They are a great bunch of guys but our main site focus is different then what you need right now.

I think you need to find out if you have cancer and to get organized.

And Psssst lean over so you can hear me, "She still loves me after cancer." None of us wanted cancer and we are all changed by it. Our task as patients, lovers, fathers and friends is to find the treatment plan that works for us. It and its success will depend on WHO we trust to treat us. Cancer will force the issue right up into your face and drag you kicking and screaming into the rest your life. Please make sure you remember that.

So step back for a moment, take a deep breath and get started.

P.S. Maybe I should say have a drink and get started.

Kind Regards Jim

flyguy50

Postby flyguy50 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:47 am

Welcome to the club.
I was diagnosed in Nov. 2009 and had robotic surgery two weeks later. 5 days later my surgeon told me it was a cure! My tumor was self contained and my follow up PSA readings have been 0's. I was told that within 18 months I should see normal functioning but one of the nerve branches was adherent and it took twice as long to dissect that free. The result was permanent ED. Fortunately I had absolutely no incontinence. I decided recently to get an implant. I'm 62 going on 40 and am not willing to simply be happy I have no cancer. Without a prostate and even with ED I could still have orgasms In fact they were more intense than pre surgery ones. My surgery for PCa was done at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore by Mohamad Allaf a rock star surgeon who is your age. I had the inflatable prosthesis installed last week and am on the mend and can't wait to fire this baby up. It is a real godsend for those who do not return to full function. I have at least 6 friends who have gone through the prostate surgery. Only two of us had ED issues. One buddy awake from surgery with a hard-on so it is not a given that you will be out of the game. I agree with the other post, look at your options but I think you will find that the gold standard at your age is surgery. Good luck. I kept a journal of my journey and would be happy to share it with you. I have sent it along to about 10 guys who have faced what you are facing. Prostate cancer is not a death sentence, just a bump in the road. I don't know if you are married or have kids but once you lose your prostate you will be infertile. You may want to consider preserving sperm before surgery. Keep in touch
Rich

edgh20guy

Postby edgh20guy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Hang in there...the diagnosis doesn't have to lead to ED. I know two guys in Chicago that had surgery and soon. regained natural erections . Don't stress!

Best,

Jake in Chicago

regain-is-the-aim

Postby regain-is-the-aim » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:21 pm

CM:

Well, you certainly got a cure ball. And as you know; Life is not fair. But, you are in a good place and we all welcome you to this merry band of brothers. And you are correct; the liquor cabinet helps. Please make mine a single malt scotch!!

Don’t hurry this process. When I was diagnosed, which came out of nowhere, there was no history of PCa in my family and my PSA was 2.8. Didn’t matter as I had at least 2 nasty tumors to deal with. I was diagnosed in June and had my robotic surgery in October. I decided on my plan based on my consulting work load and when it worked for me. Select a GOOD, experienced surgeon who has done a lot of these surgeries. You don’t say where you are located but find a med center where there is choice. My robotic surgery was a very easy experience; home the next day and up and about- I was really surprised there was so little discomfort for me. Remember every guy is different. Just tired from the surgery and going thru emotions. My recovery was easy. I even went, against my surgeon’s wishes not his orders, to a Purdue Football game 10 days after surgery. No issues; just really tired when I got home. The decision is yours with guidance from the docs but I would urge you to seriously consider the robotic surgery as you are young and in excellent health.

Now. You do have the strength to get thru this and you showed the first part of your courage by joining this site and asking ?’s. Take things in order; surgery (or your treatment plan), getting back on your feet and regaining your balance and dealing with any continence issues and then a penile rehab plan. Life is usually a 2 edged sword and while your age is quite young; it seems the younger one is with surgery the better recovery of sexual function there is. Don’t let them fool you, there will be dark days and that is OK; just don’t let them go on and have an understanding with your doc (surgeon or Internist) and ask for help if you need it.

After that, we can begin to rehab the troops and get you back in the swing again. You will be surprised at how quickly your sex drive returns and when it does “Go for it”! You probably won’t get hard but you can sure get off! Do that frequently as it helps you between the ears and reminds the boys of their function and the fun that awaits. Ah, a team effort.

CM, thanks for joining with us. Many of us here are PCa victims and will assist in any way we can. As you can tell, we have all made it thru and are dealing with the ED stuff in different ways as none of us are built the same or respond the same. Like you I had no issue with ED before my PCa surgery and my nerves were spared. The one thing I will strongly suggest before you have your surgery get a “Prelude”: they are talked about under pumps. It is a soft vac device, not good for sex, but it does get blood flowing back into the shaft. A very good thing! Wait a week or so after surgery and if things are going well begin to play with it- it is a clear cylinder at it will raise your spirits as it raises your shaft inside the cylinder. They are sized by the thickness of your shaft and not your length and most guys use a standard one.

If I can help in any way please let me know. I am available and will be glad to talk with you or type messages. All of us understand this is not an easy time but there is a lot of help here.

Please keep us posted and if you have surgery- let us know the date and we will direct good karma with up-raised glass in your direction. In your honor, I will even select one of my better single malts! Cheers.

Regards,

Dick
"Regain-is-the-Aim"
Dick
PCa-surgery 10/06

Dave48003

Postby Dave48003 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 pm

CM:

Welcome to FT. I'm not a PC survivor, I have been fortunate in that respect. ED I have, PC I don't.

However, a close friend of mine who now lives in Texas was diagnosed with PC over 10 years ago. My wife and I had made plans to visit him and his wife for a winter break from the Michigan weather. When we arrived, he plopped a stack of material in my lap, information on treatments for PC.

I am an engineer, and am very methodical and logical in my decision making, its part of my every day routine. He knows me well and explained what he had and asked me to review all the materials and tell him what I would choose in his position. It turns out we both chose the same treatment, and he proceeded with it and is cancer free this day, with his prostate still functional.

What he chose was radioactive seed implants. The information at the time gave it a higher cure rate than prostate removal, even at advanced stages. In fact, it was better at advanced stages, with much less incidence of impotence and incontinence. It has worked for him, though a seed still pops up every now and then.

As I told him, I can't make your decision for you, all I can tell you is what I would do, and if you do something different, that is your obvious right, after all, it's your body. What I will say, is investigate all the options.

Best of luck, and you will find all sorts of friends here!
Dave
Charter member of the Brotherhood of Bionic Boners.
69 YO with a venous leak since puberty, made worse by meds & diabetes. Tried pills, a VED, and injections before my AMS 700LGX was implanted 3-17-2011. A life changing event!

Too young

Postby Too young » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 pm

Thank you for your responses and the words of encouragement that came with them. I would like to further explain my situation to help clear up any questions you might have posed.

I am happily married to a wonder, supportive wife who has been great. I also have 3 wonderful boys all under 10. So to answer the question of more kids... I think we are done. My grandfather and father were both diagnosed and treated successfully for PCa. My dad is 10 years out from surgery and doing well. His doctor suggested that my brother and I start with PSA tests at 35 rather than 40 because of the obvious family history. I didn't disappoint. I went in for a physical in April of 2010 and had a PSA of 3.8 and a normal DRE. After a round of Cipro other PSA tests and 2 separate biopsies, the Doc found 1 core out of 24 with Cancer having a Gleason 6. Very small focus and believed to be contained. Bone and CT scans were negative. The Doc used the term "Garden Variety" when diagnosing me. Not that I liked that term when discussing my cancer, but it did help to put things into perspective. After talking with different surgeons, they all believe that whatever treatment I choose, I have a very high percentage of a cure. I believe that and am prepared to take it on. But and that is a big BUT, I am obviously concerned with the aftermath being 36. My wife has said, "We need you here, what ever comes of it after, we can deal with!" Trust me, I agree. I want to be here more than anything. I just have fear of the unknown.

So to conclude, thanks again for the support and encouragement. I hope that I am able to pay it forward like so many of you do/have.

Thanks,
CM

limpnoodle

Postby limpnoodle » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:56 pm

CM; As one of the other guys suggested go to the YANA website. There are a lot of guys that are very open about their treatment. Also you don't have to hurry into a treatment. Research them all and remember there are a lot of different options. I had robotic surgery in 2007 at age 59; cancer had gotten out of capsule so I lost a nerve bundle on one side. Because of the ED I've questioned my choice of treatment. But for me at the time I felt like it was the right choice. Had I not had surgery would have never known PCa was outside capsule. There are some tests that can be done (Prostastint) that can sometimes determine if it is contained or not. None of my Docs thought mine was outside capsule presurgery so no additional tests were not ordered. Other than ED things have worked out pretty good for me as I am almost 4 years out PSA is nondetectable and no treatment other than the surgery. You have a low Gleason and only one core positive so you have plenty of time to research and make the best choice for you and your family. Check out the results with proton beam that was my other choice. The other good news most Drs. agree on is ED after treatment is much less in younger men who are totally functional prior to treatment. Take control of you treatment and research your options before making a choice. Also find the most experienced medical staff possible once you have decided which treatment you think is right for you. Inspite of joining the club you did not want to be in there are some things going for you: you've caught it early, it is not agressive, you have time, and a supportive family. There are side effects with all treatments research them well and decide which ones you can live with. Best of luck in this journey,

Limp

Return to “Introductions and Hellos”