About to take the plunge

This is the place to say hi to the board. Tell us something about yourself. If you're not quite ready to post for advice, that's fine.
Forum rules
For your security and privacy, FrankTalk will time you out after five minutes if it senses no activity. Posting on the forums may take longer than five minutes and the site does not sense your typing a post as activity. If you are submitting a post that might take a few minutes to write, please compose it in a word processing program and then cut and paste it into the discussion board. This will save a lot of frustration.
Thanks
RelievedofED1

About to take the plunge

Postby RelievedofED1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 am

New to this forum but appreciate all the converstaions and experiences shared. I am 59, married 33 years, an internal medicine physician and have suffered with ED issues since adolescence. I suspect, as does my urologist, that I had nerve injury with a severe bike accident at 7. In that it happened before adolescence I assumed everyone had issues with erections and that it was normal. Even in med school there wasnt a real definition of "normal" given to us and at that time no real expectation we would discuss ED except on a rare occasion and not a lot to offer our patients other than counselling on how to deal with it since many were thought to be primarily psychogenic from anxiety or abuse. Because of my limited training and the limited traing of many other docs even in the urologic world even when I realized my normal, which got worse with age, wasnt normal I couldnt get my doc or my urologist to do more than pills which gave me severe headaches and reflux as well as other side effects. I finally had a "no i am not stressed and no it isnt my age" talk with the urologist in the group that was the ED expert. He agreed to put me on injections which were a miracle despite the fact I hate needles. It is far better to give than receive.

That brings us to today. After two years I have decided with my wife's blessing to get an implant and have scheduled a trip from New England to see Dr Kramer in Baltimore and surgery scheduled for April 29. Very anxious about the permanency especially since shots work but having to remember to bring shots on trips, explain the syringes and meds when found and cover up the 2-3 hour erection if I have to go out after using are all making me want to have the implant. That and the beginning of a curve to the left maybe from shots maybe from recent urethral surgery no one knows. The comments and insights and angst on the site have been helpful in picking the doc. My local ED expert who does only a few isnt happy I didnt pick him and wont see me back after surgery. He does a few a year and in explaining why I should stay on shots told me about his most recent case that got infected. Not reassuring. Dr Kramer has been great by phone after my first email and in followup emails. Sounds like his infection rates and surgical skills are also great. Thanks again all for providing an anonymous way to share information about a very sensitive topic at least for me.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

billylee

Re: About to take the plunge

Postby billylee » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:56 am

I think you, and your wife, will be so very pleased. Best of luck to you. B
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:05 am

Dr. Kramer is an excellent technician and very pleasant guy. My experience with him has been excellent, and we have remained in touch since my procedure in 2008. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your results.

Best of luck to you.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 am

You made a wise decision in my opinion. Best of luck to you.

FlaDon

Postby FlaDon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Bill,

It seems odd to hear a physician express anxiety over a surgical procedure or a dislike of self-injecting, but it is very refreshing. What is disappointing is that your local ED "expert" won't see you following the treatment by Dr. Kramer, but then again, it should let you know that he might be one to avoid in the first place, knowing that he gets his knickers in a knot because you didn't "choose" him. I find that attitude reprehensible, but unfortunately sometimes typical among medical professionals. I've dealt with countless urologists over the years, primarily due to chronic testicular pain, and have run the gamut of good doctors, bad doctors, and those who just didn't give a shit. I no longer have the "god-like" admiration for the profession that I used to have many years ago.

Luckily, I have come out the other side. I found one of the world's best authorities in chronic groin pain, and have had four surgical procedures to relieve what has been over 12 years of misery. It was finally after a reduction in pain that I sought treatment for my ED, which seemed to just come on like gangbusters over the past two years....to the point that maximum doses of "Super-Mix" really didn't do anything once I was in a reclining position, hence venous leakage. I had no choice but to get an implant, which I did exactly two weeks ago. I'm still in the recovery stages, but feel absolutely confident in my decision to have it done as well as utmost confidence in my surgeon and support staff.

I think you'll find this site to be very informative and helpful, I know I have. The guys here are ready to offer suggestions to help you through this....so many here have gone down this path before us, and their experience only helps those of us who are going through the every stage of the implant procedure. I'm sure you'll do fine....keep us posted & best of luck!
63, Central Florida area, ED for two years. Implanted with Coloplast Titan Touch (22 cm w/ no RTE's) March 23, 2015 in Daytona Beach by Dr. Martin Dineen.

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:20 am

I think physicians who have had anxieties around being a patient can empathize and respond better to their patient's concerns. You are not alone in assuming that physicians are universally comfortable being on the receiving rather than giving end of the healthcare role. I was in for my preop exam at my PCPs office last week and my pulse and BP were up a bit. I explained that to the MA that it was likely because I was a little anxious meeting my new PCP and discussing ED and penile implants with her as our first conversation and the MA laughed saying but you are a doctor. The majority of docs want to be that doc and the ones that don't are the ones I move on from.

As to my local urologist's issues, I think some docs actually show human insecurities when they get upset over not being chosen or if a patient wants a second opinion. Everyone has an ego and the fragile ones act out. That said I dont think having an overblown ego is great in a physician and may be another symptom of a fragile internal ego. The docs I like are the ones that treat me like a person that has a right to ask why and be given choices with enough evidence based info from an educated doc that I can make a decision that is the best for me.

And oh by the way needles pointing away from me carry none of the anxiety or discomfort that needles pointing at me do. Go figure. :-)
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

bob1138

Postby bob1138 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Bill,

I was implanted with the Coloplast Titan in December 2007 after developing ED Post-Prostatectomy in February 2004.
The Implant restored both my sex life and the emotional intimacy with my wife.
The Titan has given us the chance to be High School Sweethearts all over again and I would do it again in a heart-beat!!
Also, from everything I have heard, you are in excellent hands with Dr. Kramer.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any non-medical questions or just want to talk.
Best Wishes,
Bob

RugbyDave

Postby RugbyDave » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:31 am

Bill

Had my AMS LGX700 for 18 months or so - best decision I made.

More info on my blog - check it out it may help.

Dave

http://rugbydave.blogspot.co.uk
Diagnosed at 49 with PC - Biopsy Gleason 3+4=7
Radical Prostatectomy 14/07/08 - PSA now undetectable
ED since op
Implanted with AMS 700LGX - 26/07/13 @ UCLH London
http://rugbydave.blogspot.co.uk

Froggy

Postby Froggy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:57 pm

While I have to agree that an erection can be difficult to deal with in public, and that injecting is not a whole lotta fun (but in my case essentially painless) I have difficulty with the concept of undergoing major surgery, which essentially "guts" your penis merely to avoid what "some" may argue are relatively minor issues. I also have a problem with a surgeon agreeing to such a procedure knowing the above facts????

Seriously, have you considered an auto injector? They truly take the guesswork and "skill" out of the injection process.

But hey, it is your body and I wish you every success in whatever direction you care to go!!

Froggy
Steve in Fort Worth, 61, Trimix and Test injections weekly. Feel better with more energy, alertness, more active, stronger and faster than when I was 50! Bit of a smarta$$ but want to be of help to others in similar situations!! STAY HARD!!

bw1951

Postby bw1951 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Bill,

Good luck with the surgery later this month. It sounds like you have gone through alot. Sorry to hear that your local urologist is unwilling to continue to work with you if you go to a center of excellence for the implant. I have been very lucky that my local urologist never voiced a single objection when I went to a center of excellence on west coast for radiation and returned to him for local followups. He has been a huge help with the after effects of the radiation.

What sort of procedure did you need on your urethra?

Best of luck.

Brian

Return to “Introductions and Hellos”