GOOD MORNING FROM TX

This is the place to say hi to the board. Tell us something about yourself. If you're not quite ready to post for advice, that's fine.
Forum rules
For your security and privacy, FrankTalk will time you out after five minutes if it senses no activity. Posting on the forums may take longer than five minutes and the site does not sense your typing a post as activity. If you are submitting a post that might take a few minutes to write, please compose it in a word processing program and then cut and paste it into the discussion board. This will save a lot of frustration.
Thanks
billylee

GOOD MORNING FROM TX

Postby billylee » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:07 am

New to this forum. Finding it very informative.
I found site through my research on IPP/PI. I am 68 and have been recommended for such surgery due to ED and the failure of drugs working for me (one of that 30%, I suppose). My local uro only does about 12 PIs a year and that is just not a number I am happy with. He also uses scrotum approach which is not a deal breaker for me, it is not my choose. He also makes chose of device at surgery with rep present (this I find questionable). I wanted Milan although eleven hours away but found him not available for sometime. That office recommended Morey who I can not seem to get return call from for question answers. My local uro did recommend R C Mason in Dallas so their prompt attention has stired my interest. Anyway, thanks for all the great info here. billy
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

Bionic_by_AMS

Re: GOOD MORNING FROM TX

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:16 pm

billylee wrote:My local uro only does about 12 PIs a year and that is just not a number I am happy with

It's not so much about the number per year ... rather the skill of the surgeon. Most of these guys do much more complicated surgeries than an Implant. I used my local URO, as he also did my robotic prostrate surgery ... and very happy with the results.
He also uses scrotum approach which is not a deal breaker for me, it is not my choose

The vast majority of surgeries use the scrotal approach ... why are you not comfortable with that?
He also makes chose of device at surgery with rep present (this I find questionable)

It's typical (with AMS units) to have a "rep" present ... they supply the necessary equipment (parts) needed ...
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

billylee

Postby billylee » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:02 am

bio,
just felt numbers meant perhaps better at skill. My uro did my TURP and does many other surgeries but I just thought numbers a better sign. As to pubic approach, I felt it would heal faster, maybe not. Do you know of negatives of Pupic approach? If the scotum approach is used and something fails would the public approach then have to be used. I am thinking no second surgery to scrotum. The idea of not knowing which model and brand of prothesis I am getting before surgery bothers me somewhat. To have a company rep dictate model does not set well with me but I am open for advice.

The surgeon I am considering at this point has done 30-40 this year and has a prothesis himself. That for some reason seems a comfort.

Thanks for reply.
b
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

Bionic_by_AMS

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:20 am

billylee wrote:but I just thought numbers a better sign

Implant surgery is considered by most URO's a rather simple operation ... although most guys seem to think it ranks up there with brain surgery.
As to pubic approach, I felt it would heal faster, maybe not. Do you know of negatives of Pupic approach

Several guys have reported it being rather uncomfortable due to bending over, exercise, etc. ... the "approach" is usually dictated by the surgeon, usually just what he is more comfortable with ... sometimes your body (issues) will determine the path.
If the scotum approach is used and something fails would the public approach then have to be used

Failures are very rare ... and the revision is usually done via the same location.
I am thinking no second surgery to scrotum.

You would be amazed at the stretching ability of the scrotum ... after a week or so the discomfort goes away, it's not that bad and today you can't even see any scar from the surgery as I had no external stitches ... URO glued it (medical crazy glue)
The idea of not knowing which model and brand of prothesis I am getting before surgery bothers me somewhat

You can state your preference ... however during surgery the URO will determine what will work best.
To have a company rep dictate model does not set well with me but I am open for advice

The (AMS) "rep" only supply the various units and offers advise ... he does not dictate what model you get. There are 3 AMS models, then there are units with different cylinder sizes. Titan has 2 models and also units with various cylinder lengths.
The surgeon I am considering at this point has done 30-40 this year and has a prothesis himself

That's great! ... he should do a good job "fitting" you with the proper device ...
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

Return to “Introductions and Hellos”