54 Yr Old Diabetic with ED at the Final Frontier

This is the place to say hi to the board. Tell us something about yourself. If you're not quite ready to post for advice, that's fine.
Forum rules
For your security and privacy, FrankTalk will time you out after five minutes if it senses no activity. Posting on the forums may take longer than five minutes and the site does not sense your typing a post as activity. If you are submitting a post that might take a few minutes to write, please compose it in a word processing program and then cut and paste it into the discussion board. This will save a lot of frustration.
Thanks
Merknaut

54 Yr Old Diabetic with ED at the Final Frontier

Postby Merknaut » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 am

Hello All,
I am 54 and have been dealing with ED for at least 20 years. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 28 years.
The first 10 years living with diabetes I was in denial and did not control my blood sugars very well. It wasn't until I started having peripheral problems that I started to actually care, and the main one being ED.
I've had my share of other health problems that kicked off with a hospitalization that almost killed me 13 years ago. Unfortunately I've bounced back and forth between being very good about caring for my health to being totally apathetic and despondent.
I was treating my ED with oral medication, but that became less and less effective over time.
Four years ago I really started my present decline with contributing factors compounding as well as going through a separation and divorce. It was around this time that I started having another concern, namely retrograde ejaculation. So even with oral medication I could not achieve a full erection and it didn't last long, and on top of that most of the time there is no fluid ejaculate.

I met a terrific woman 15 months ago and she has been amazing. Supportive, understanding, encouraging, and loving. Not long before meeting her I had resolved to take better care of my diabetes and I got on an insulin pump, and started daily tadalafil.
I finally went to a urologist to find out everything going on with my penis. I had a full examination as well as an ultrasound.
I have Peyronie's disease with some scarring and plaque, but it hasn't created significant curvature in my penis. My testicles are healthy and it turns out my testosterone was around 1000.
I experimented with combining oral medications with little to no results. It was time to try injections. I started Trimix last summer and I continually increased dosage to get to a full, solid erection. Turns out I can't, and I also have signs of venous leakage.
I am still administering Trimix 2 to 3 times a week because I like to have sex with my partner, but it has become obvious to us that if we want something that resembles a normal sex life I am going to have to take the next step.

I am preparing for penile implant surgery. My blood sugars are under much better control, my latest A1c was 7.2. I am working out on a regular basis and eating a healthy diet. I have switched over to a constant glucose monitor that I wear 24/7 along with my insulin pump, and I have made the lifestyle changes that will lead to better health and fitness.
56 y.o. 28 years Type 1 Diabetic. ED for 14 years. Implanted 2/12/2024 by Dr. William Brant. AMS 700 CX.

brianroa7

Re: 54 Yr Old Diabetic with ED at the Final Frontier

Postby brianroa7 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:28 pm

Any update on your situation? I hope the implant is a life changer for you!
58, implanted with 22 cm Titan (no RTE's) on April 1, 2022. Complete ED started after High Dose Rate Brachytherapy for prostate cancer. Tried everything else first but nothing worked. Wonderfully supportive wife!

Merknaut

Re: 54 Yr Old Diabetic with ED at the Final Frontier

Postby Merknaut » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:22 pm

So I am in the process of working with Boston Scientific to request an exception to a contract exclusion by my employer in my health insurance policy. So I have done all I can so far to arrange for the surgery. I plan on having the procedure done by Dr. William Brant. Still a lot of variables to be resolved but I am hopeful.
56 y.o. 28 years Type 1 Diabetic. ED for 14 years. Implanted 2/12/2024 by Dr. William Brant. AMS 700 CX.

Return to “Introductions and Hellos”