Family members who want to assign guilt for prostate cancer

What are your fears? Ideas? Hints? to coping with ED. What helps you with your mental game? How are relationships affected?
mickjrogers

Family members who want to assign guilt for prostate cancer

Postby mickjrogers » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Maybe it's just my family, but does your family try to assign guilt for your prostate cancer?

It's usually assigned to me for being overweight, for working too hard and for not exercising enough.

It's often assigned to my doctors (who didn't cause the cancer, but sure could've done their jobs better.

I see the cause of my cancer as my time for some bad luck.

I'm tired of other people's need to control their own fear of cancer by trying to make it simple.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam

limpnoodle

Re: Family members who want to assign guilt for prostate cancer

Postby limpnoodle » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey Mick, I hear you fellow. I to have dealt with PCa. And yes maybe I did eat too much red meat and was over weight. But in my case I have it on both side of my family tree so it was going to most likely happen. And then there is just plane old bad luck. I have struggled from time to time with the issues of PCa but also feel very lucky as I am 50 months post surgery and have an undecetable PSA. You know a quilt trip from family members is unjust as we have enough to deal with trying to develop a new sexulity. Unless you have been there no one really knows or understands what we men go through before and after PCa. So hang in there and the best of luck to you.

bob1138

Postby bob1138 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Mick,

I am almost 8 years Post-Prostatectomy and my PSA remains zero.
I am also Co-Chairman of the UsToo Prostate Cancer Support Group at Hackensack University Medical Center in
Bergen County, New Jersey. This is an International Group which allows men with Prostate Cancer to speak candidly with fellow Prostate Cancer Survivors. This is very therapeutic.
I would suggest that you go to www.UsToo.org to locate a Chapter near you.
I believe this wil be very helpful for you now and in the furture.
I attended my first Meeting 2 months after my Radical Prostatectomy in February 2004 and have been going to the monthly meetings ever since then.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would just like to talk.
Happy New Year.

Bob

mickjrogers

Postby mickjrogers » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Thank you! I will check into what is available nearby.

Return to “Emotional and Mental Support”