Infection

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
rancherejim

Infection

Postby rancherejim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 pm

I keep reading about infection. My question is. Is it easier to get an infection down there than say a cut on the arm or hand?
My UR said that the dentist should be told about the implant when I have my teeth cleaned. I don't know if that is just during the healing process or if that is necessary all the time going forward. Will I have to be extra the rest of my life about infection?
Going for my pre-op appointment next week so will ask him at that time.
So great to have this web site, thank you all for the information that I have gotten from here.
77 years old, married 58 years. Had ED for the last 10 years or so.
May 2nd, 2018 Coloplast Titan implanted, 24cm with 1cm RTE's. All went well so far.

warrenw

Re: Infection

Postby warrenw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:44 pm

rancherejim wrote:My UR said that the dentist should be told about the implant when I have my teeth cleaned. I don't know if that is just during the healing process or if that is necessary all the time going forward.

I had an appointment for dental cleaning two months after my surgery date and I asked my surgeon about this. The answer I got was "You do not need any antibiotics prior to any dental work with the implant." And I didn't inform my dentist about the implant.
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Back in 85 my left heel was shattered and 2 large staples were used in the first operation. After that they wanted me to tell my dentist. But after a time I just stopped doing it. Might have been only for a number of years or things might have changed. With my implant I received no such instructions. There has been a lot of change in recent years about antibiotics and the over use of them. There was a sheet about that in my discharge packet. Maybe big pharm took a hit on it. But doctors are different and if I remember when I did take um for a cleaning they were only a few and not a full week or 10 day thing. If your dentist wants to do it for the first year or 2 I would not worry much unless you take a lot already or have trouble with them.

Some of the dental workers are pretty cute and I might go ahead and tell them anyway. :D
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

TomW46

Postby TomW46 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:26 pm

I have an infection right now! It's weird. My wife (physician) says she thinks its an "indolent infection" that may have a "biofilm protective layer". There's no redness like you would see from a cut on your arm or leg. The swelling around my implant never went down. Everything is swollen and misshapen. My balls and scrotum are still swollen. My pubic pad is still swollen. My dick stays sore and looks like it belongs to an alien. Talk about girth! I've put up with this for six months now. Dr. Kramer says he will need to "wash it out and replace it." Wow, I get to have another surgery! As soon as school's out and my wife can go with me, I'll be getting the revision. I guess something wasn't completely clean in my operating room? Some people are just luckier than others.
Age 72, wife is 52. 20+1 cm Titan Touch implanted by Dr. Kramer on 18 October 2017. Revision to AMS LGX 21+2 cm on 11 June 2018 by Dr. Carrion at Tampa General. Age-related ED + slight Peyronies bend (left) and slight hourglass in the center.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Sad to hear that Tom. Do you know what your new implant will be?
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

antman90

Postby antman90 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:54 am

TomW46 wrote:I have an infection right now! It's weird. My wife (physician) says she thinks its an "indolent infection" that may have a "biofilm protective layer". There's no redness like you would see from a cut on your arm or leg. The swelling around my implant never went down. Everything is swollen and misshapen. My balls and scrotum are still swollen. My pubic pad is still swollen. My dick stays sore and looks like it belongs to an alien. Talk about girth! I've put up with this for six months now. Dr. Kramer says he will need to "wash it out and replace it." Wow, I get to have another surgery! As soon as school's out and my wife can go with me, I'll be getting the revision. I guess something wasn't completely clean in my operating room? Some people are just luckier than others.

It's disappointing to hear one of kramers patients ended up with an infection. He's going to have to put a malleable device in you once he takes out the infected one. So if you want a 3 piece ... your gonna need 2 surgeries ... one to take out the old one and place the malleable. Then another to remove the malleable and put in a three piece. I'm sorry you ended up with an infection. Praying for you.
27, divorced no kids, ED since as long as I can remember, don't know the cause. Pills work but hate the sides/planning. Leaning towards an implant.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 am

TomW46 wrote:I have an infection right now! It's weird. My wife (physician) says she thinks its an "indolent infection" that may have a "biofilm protective layer". There's no redness like you would see from a cut on your arm or leg. The swelling around my implant never went down. Everything is swollen and misshapen. My balls and scrotum are still swollen. My pubic pad is still swollen. My dick stays sore and looks like it belongs to an alien. Talk about girth! I've put up with this for six months now. Dr. Kramer says he will need to "wash it out and replace it." Wow, I get to have another surgery! As soon as school's out and my wife can go with me, I'll be getting the revision. I guess something wasn't completely clean in my operating room? Some people are just luckier than others.

Sorry to hear Tom;
I know all about infection, and the consequences, first hand. If they take your implant out, you will probably be looking at 6 months before they re-implant. I have had my second one since 14 Dec, 2017 and no problems. :)

Larry

Limpbizcit

Postby Limpbizcit » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 am

Infection sucks! I'm waiting now for my three piece. The malleable doesn't extend into the glands enough for penentration. So its like a floppy head effect. I know the fear with extending it into glands is erosion, but I hoped I would like it enough to forgo another surgery. Thats not the case.
Age 47. ED for over 20 years. Diagnosed with Hypogonadism. Pills and trimix do not work consistently. Implanted with 24cm AMS CX 12/12/17. Infected implant removed and replaced with AMS Spectra 2/18/18. Implanted with 26CM Titan 10/02/18. So far so good.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:10 pm

Anthonyeavila wrote:

It's disappointing to hear one of kramers patients ended up with an infection. He's going to have to put a malleable device in you once he takes out the infected one. So if you want a 3 piece ... your gonna need 2 surgeries ... one to take out the old one and place the malleable. Then another to remove the malleable and put in a three piece. I'm sorry you ended up with an infection. Praying for you.

I never had the malleable implant put in. My surgeon said that he irrigated the area with a disinfectant and closed up and needed the 6 months to allow the area to heal properly. Everything is great now. :)

Larry

TomW46

Postby TomW46 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Dr Kramer said he might be able to do the same thing, dependent on what he sees when he gets in there. I'm not a Doctor (or anything else, for that matter) but I don't see the logic of two surgeries rather than one. Why would putting in a semi-rigid be somehow better/safer than just putting in another three-piece after the surgery? If the doctor cuts you open and then sticks some things in your dick, what's the difference if he drops in a pump and a reservoir? Just to be cautious? At the expense of needing a third surgery later? Doesn't figure in my book. Then again, there's a lot of things I haven't figured out.
Age 72, wife is 52. 20+1 cm Titan Touch implanted by Dr. Kramer on 18 October 2017. Revision to AMS LGX 21+2 cm on 11 June 2018 by Dr. Carrion at Tampa General. Age-related ED + slight Peyronies bend (left) and slight hourglass in the center.

Return to “Implants”