Recovery Time

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Sensei

Recovery Time

Postby Sensei » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:17 am

The information and support on this site has proved to be most helpful and I am really glad I found it.

I am in the process of trying to nail down a date for an implant, but have some questions about recovery time.

I do recognize that everyone is different, and healing time will vary. However, I am wondering how many of you could have returned to work in just over 2 weeks if the job involved no significant physical activity. I am an educator, and would prefer to have this done towards the end of May. I certainly do not expect to be back to normal after only 2 weeks, but am hoping that I could get by. My other option is to wait until August, and have 4-5 weeks off, but I’d prefer to have it done earlier.

My physician has indicated that he would use the Titan. He gave me a few names of past patients that I could communicate with. I contacted 2 of them, and to my surprise they both said they were reasonably mobile after just 1 week. I wouldn’t be comfortable with that short of a time frame but it got me thinking about the possibility of only being “missing in action” for 2 weeks.

So, for those of you that had the procedure, what kind of shape were you in after 2 weeks? Could you have managed to be in a situation that required limited mobility and some standing for a few hours a day?

Thank you.
Married for 35 years, 63 years old, pretty fit. ED advanced in last 20 years. Pills worked initially, and shots were very effective for several years. Developed some PD (35 degrees) and VL within the last 2 years. Implanted 5/30/2018 with a Titan OTR.

antman90

Re: Recovery Time

Postby antman90 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:16 am

[quote="Sensei"]The information and support on this site has proved to be most helpful and I am really glad I found it.

I am in the process of trying to nail down a date for an implant, but have some questions about recovery time.

I do recognize that everyone is different, and healing time will vary. However, I am wondering how many of you could have returned to work in just over 2 weeks if the job involved no significant physical activity. I am an educator, and would prefer to have this done towards the end of May. I certainly do not expect to be back to normal after only 2 weeks, but am hoping that I could get by. My other option is to wait until August, and have 4-5 weeks off, but I’d prefer to have it done earlier.

My physician has indicated that he would use the Titan. He gave me a few names of past patients that I could communicate with. I contacted 2 of them, and to my surprise they both said they were reasonably mobile after just 1 week. I wouldn’t be comfortable with that short of a time frame but it got me thinking about the possibility of only being “missing in action” for 2 weeks.

So, for those of you that had the procedure, what kind of shape were you in after 2 weeks? Could you have managed to be in a situation that required limited mobility and some standing for a few hours a day?

Thank you.[/

I pretty much have the same question you do... I would like to only take me two weeks off. However I'm a registered nurse and I work in the ER... I am on my feet a lot and i do have to lift pts sometimes. I can probably get around lifting pts.. but I do gotta work 12 hr shifts. I'm wondering how I would feel at 2 weeks post op.
27, divorced no kids, ED since as long as I can remember, don't know the cause. Pills work but hate the sides/planning. Leaning towards an implant.

antman90

Postby antman90 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:37 am

From what I've read most guys still feel like crap after two weeks.
27, divorced no kids, ED since as long as I can remember, don't know the cause. Pills work but hate the sides/planning. Leaning towards an implant.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 am

Sensei wrote:The information and support on this site has proved to be most helpful and I am really glad I found it.

Thank you.

Good morning and welcome to Frank Talk. I am glad that you have found our site helpful. I think we all felt that way when we first joined. So, as for your question, speaking for myself only, I would have felt comfortable returning to work in a non-physical job, like yours, after two weeks. Having said that, You will have to ice several times a day. I use to recommend a small bag of peas or corn but. as they thaw and refreeze, they will become one solid chunk. Now I recommend getting a bag of navy beans or similar dry products. Put them in an odd sock and in freezer or microwave. Ice your scrotum for 20 minutes every couple of hours. Once the swelling goes down, the pain will decrease as well. Once your swelling is gone and stays gone, you can switch to heat. This will be more comfortable on the boys. When you first come home you will have to be very careful to keep the incision clean. Polysporin and a dressing to keep away infection. Shave before your surgery... you don't want to be pulling off tape if you are not shaved. Nice hot Epsom salt baths are good for the incision BUT ask your doctor about that because some doctors use sutures that you can't soak in salt water. IF it's ok, this will a) feel great, b) help keep infection away and c) help heal the incision better/faster. Watch for pain getting worse and fever. These are danger signs of infection. Hope this helps. :)

Larry

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:34 am

Deleted by user
Last edited by Anonymous3 on Sun May 13, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:38 am

hturner12 wrote:
Larry10625 wrote:
Sensei wrote:The information and support on this site has proved to be most helpful and I am really glad I found it.

Thank you.

Good morning and welcome to Frank Talk. I am glad that you have found our site helpful. I think we all felt that way when we first joined. So, as for your question, speaking for myself only, I would have felt comfortable returning to work in a non-physical job, like yours, after two weeks. Having said that, You will have to ice several times a day. I use to recommend a small bag of peas or corn but. as they thaw and refreeze, they will become one solid chunk. Now I recommend getting a bag of navy beans or similar dry products. Put them in an odd sock and in freezer or microwave. Ice your scrotum for 20 minutes every couple of hours. Once the swelling goes down, the pain will decrease as well. Once your swelling is gone and stays gone, you can switch to heat. This will be more comfortable on the boys. When you first come home you will have to be very careful to keep the incision clean. Polysporin and a dressing to keep away infection. Shave before your surgery... you don't want to be pulling off tape if you are not shaved. Nice hot Epsom salt baths are good for the incision BUT ask your doctor about that because some doctors use sutures that you can't soak in salt water. IF it's ok, this will a) feel great, b) help keep infection away and c) help heal the incision better/faster. Watch for pain getting worse and fever. These are danger signs of infection. Hope this helps. :)

Larry

Larry
Some dr Do Not want you to shave preop. That can be a source of infection. They are going to shave you anyway

Oh, ok, my doctor just shave a small area around where the incision was.. maybe 1.5" square. :)

Larry

Greg1956

Postby Greg1956 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:12 am

Sensai,
I am retired, but believe I would have been OK going back to my corporate desk job after two weeks, assuming I could dress in loose pants with an untucked shirt. As an Educator do you have to stand and face a room full of students? Many of us were left partially inflated after surgery. I was until my 4 week activation appointment and had a noticeable bulge. And I am not one of the larger guys here. Depending on your size, that may or may not be an issue. The other thing is I recall early on continually needing to adjust everything down there to be comfortable. Again, if you are facing a class filled with students, that might be awkward. Two weeks is also at a point where many of us start feeling better, but after being in bed several days and taking it pretty easy for the first two weeks, you may get very drained before a full day is over.

Anthony,
As a nurse you will likely be very active on the job. Your age is definitely in your favor, but as I said to Sensai, you will have just come off of two weeks with several days of suggested bed rest and otherwise taking it easy so it will be a big adjustment to stand all day. I was told not to lift much of anything the first week, nothing over 10 pounds until my 4 week activation appointment, and the the doctor suggested easing back into lifting as I felt comfortable.

Sensai and Anthony,
Another guy here sent me a message a few weeks ago saying he planned to go back to his desk job after two weeks. I suggested he spend a couple days simulating what he would be doing and also wearing the clothes he would have to wear. You may think you feel ready, but doing what you will have to do is sometimes too much. Unfortunately, until you have been healing for two weeks, you won’t really know if you will be ready.

Larry,
I was specifically directed not to shave my pubic area within the week before surgery. If you happen to nick yourself it could get infected and delay your procedure. They prefer to do it just prior to surgery when they scrub the area.

Greg
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:46 am

Greg1956 wrote:Sensai,
I am retired, but believe I would have been OK going back to my corporate desk job after two weeks, assuming I could dress in loose pants with an untucked shirt. As an Educator do you have to stand and face a room full of students? Many of us were left partially inflated after surgery. I was until my 4 week activation appointment and had a noticeable bulge. And I am not one of the larger guys here. Depending on your size, that may or may not be an issue. The other thing is I recall early on continually needing to adjust everything down there to be comfortable. Again, if you are facing a class filled with students, that might be awkward. Two weeks is also at a point where many of us start feeling better, but after being in bed several days and taking it pretty easy for the first two weeks, you may get very drained before a full day is over.

Anthony,
As a nurse you will likely be very active on the job. Your age is definitely in your favor, but as I said to Sensai, you will have just come off of two weeks with several days of suggested bed rest and otherwise taking it easy so it will be a big adjustment to stand all day. I was told not to lift much of anything the first week, nothing over 10 pounds until my 4 week activation appointment, and the the doctor suggested easing back into lifting as I felt comfortable.

Sensai and Anthony,
Another guy here sent me a message a few weeks ago saying he planned to go back to his desk job after two weeks. I suggested he spend a couple days simulating what he would be doing and also wearing the clothes he would have to wear. You may think you feel ready, but doing what you will have to do is sometimes too much. Unfortunately, until you have been healing for two weeks, you won’t really know if you will be ready.

Larry,
I was specifically directed not to shave my pubic area within the week before surgery. If you happen to nick yourself it could get infected and delay your procedure. They prefer to do it just prior to surgery when they scrub the area.

Greg

Ok, well that sucks. Well, my advice stands EXCEPT, don't shave. You're just going to have to carefully remove the tape. Believe me, you don't want anything to do with infection. Unfortunately, I am the FrankTalk expert on infection... well, getting it anyway. :) NOT FUN.

Larry

Ruktitan

Postby Ruktitan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 am

Hello. If this helps I was mobile after 1 week. Back to work after 10 days with some discomfort but easily manageable with a few paracetamol. I own a bodyshop and was rubbing down cars and painting them crouching down and moving quite abit. I also managed to go to the gym for some light excercise at 3 weeks.
I wrote a post about my recovery as I feel it was faster than alot of others. May be due to age or the surgery itself.
29 years old. Suffered with ED since 17. No known cause. First Implanted date 23/3/2018. Cylinders way too short and revised by different surgeon 2019. 22cm titan.
Cylinders still short and now pump is upside down and protruding. Awaiting 3rd revision

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Ruktitan wrote:Hello. If this helps I was mobile after 1 week. Back to work after 10 days with some discomfort but easily manageable with a few paracetamol. I own a bodyshop and was rubbing down cars and painting them crouching down and moving quite abit. I also managed to go to the gym for some light excercise at 3 weeks.
I wrote a post about my recovery as I feel it was faster than alot of others. May be due to age or the surgery itself.

That's great. Glad to hear your recovery is going so well. :)

Larry

Return to “Implants”