How long until you "settled" on an implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Greg1956

Re: How long until you "settled" on an implant?

Postby Greg1956 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:56 pm

I haven’t had my implant long enough to have any first hand experience with it softening over time. I have gotten the impression most revisions are due to the pump no longer functioning, not a soft erection. I may be mistaken, but that’s what I seem to read about here. Obviously, there can be other issues but it’s important to realize a horror story shouldn’t outweigh all of the happy implanted guys here. Shit can happen, but you shouldn’t live in fear of what could happen versus getting the help you need and living a full life. I have told other guys I came to the realization one day the fear that something could go wrong no longer was worse than the fact I had a useless dick that wan’t functioning and giving me a satisfying sex life.

Greg
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

Baseballfan11

Postby Baseballfan11 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:16 pm

Greg1956 wrote:I haven’t had my implant long enough to have any first hand experience with it softening over time. I have gotten the impression most revisions are due to the pump no longer functioning, not a soft erection. I may be mistaken, but that’s what I seem to read about here. Obviously, there can be other issues but it’s important to realize a horror story shouldn’t outweigh all of the happy implanted guys here. Shit can happen, but you shouldn’t live in fear of what could happen versus getting the help you need and living a full life. I have told other guys I came to the realization one day the fear that something could go wrong no longer was worse than the fact I had a useless dick that wan’t functioning and giving me a satisfying sex life.

Greg

Good call Greg. It seems rare that an operation could be done SO badly that it results in no possible salvage from another surgeon too.
26 years old. USA. ED problem since teenage years. Doctor prescribed ED meds showing some efficacy but not a guarantee. As much as I’d like the implant I now think I should hold off if I’m seeing some results from pills

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:24 am

I've enjoyed reading a lot of the answers. Thanks to all of you for your input. Great stuff.

I'd like to answer the original question from Baseballfan1. Since I'm fairly new to all of this I'm almost in the same mental place as he is. I've had ED a long time but never even considered an implant until about 7 weeks ago when I visited a new urologist. I've tried pills, VED, and injections. Nothing has worked and I've had pretty much no success for about 5 years. My old doc knew none of those options worked, but never talked about implants. The new guy looked at my history, did an exam, and the first question he asked was "How's your ED?" I told him it was really bad and he immediately said I should consider an implant.

I've been doing a lot of research for 7 weeks straight. This site has been the best for information, but I've read a lot of other things, as well, including scholarly papers on procedures, options, and outcomes.

I made the decision to go ahead with the implant about 2 and a half weeks ago. So the time for settling on an implant was a little over 4 weeks. I have continued to work with my new doc to make sure I have tried every other possibility, including a stronger version of trimix and cock rings. If something had worked, I might have changed my mind. I'm now very comfortable with the decision.

I initially scheduled the implant locally but have since decided to travel to Dr. Karpman on the west coast. Surgery is set for June 5.

I really did a lot of research and asked a ton of questions. I'm happy to talk with you or anyone about what I think I learned.

Best wishes.
Quincy
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 am

Baseballfan11 wrote:The reason I put settle in quotes is because it seems like you gents are quite pleased with the results of implantation. How many other treatment options did you guys try until you decided the implant was the way to go? How long was this process for you? Thanks as always for the insight guys!

7 or 8 months of shots and cock rings. The injections worked fantastically for a few years. And then suddenly they stopped working to a bad venous leak which was probably caused by the injections. Those 7 or 8 months was difficult to say the least. When I first saw asked if I ever considered an implant, my initial thoughts were oh hell no! But not having an Pussy for 7 or 8 months was all I needed to come sound. :mrgreen: now some 10 months later, best decision I ever made. It’s wonderful. It at your age I would exhaust all other avenues first. Unless you have a venous leak which has been said, has no cure!
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

ocitgo

Postby ocitgo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:16 am

"+5 yr: pills, pumps and shots."

I wish to add more to my reply on page 1. My ED started immediately post Bone Marrow Transplant (9/9/1993 age 52) with no white count post chemo. It killed my nails and hair along with blood. After about 15 days my donors marrow made new blood. It cured my leukemia but it took 3 years to decide to fully accept me except for my penis. Penetrating erections were impossible. In mid Nov. 2017 I had a successful implant. All is good now except my bride since May 1963 quickly didn't know what to do with the male monster I became.
ocitgo (Bob F), Bremerton, WA
Implanted 11/13/2017 AMS 700LGX 15 cm, leak, 3 cm rear tip
Implanted 06/17/2019 AMS 700LGX 18 cm, 1.5 cm rear tip

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:41 am

At least 10 years too long.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Return to “Implants”