Vasectomy after implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
DroptheMike

Vasectomy after implant

Postby DroptheMike » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Well now that I have a reliable, fully functional dick, I have decided a vasectomy may be in order. My wife, who is 51 years old, has not gone through menopause yet and who knows when that will happen. For years we just used a combination of contraceptive film and “bailing out” (not too satisfying).

At my last appointment, I spoke to my doctor about it and we scheduled it for late April. He said, since I have an implant, I would have to have the procedure at the hospital. I still have to find out if the insurance will cover it.

I was wondering if any of my Bionic brothers here have had a vasectomy after getting an implant and what were their experiences. If I go through with the procedure, I will be 6 months post op from the day of my implant.
Mike
Married 57 years old. Made the decision to get an implant after several years of unsuccessful attempts using conventional medication which no longer worked. Titan 22cm w/Genesis pump implanted by Dr. Bruce Garber October 2017. Infrapubic approach.

Lost Sheep

Re: Vasectomy after implant

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:23 pm

I had implant and vasectomy at the same time and my surgeon semed to think it was no bid deal. The way I put it was, "As long as you're in there, could you throw in a vasectomy, too?" No problem was the gist of his reply as long as as he did not find any contraindications during the surgery..

I posed the question some months ago on FrankTalk and got a lot of advice not to do both at the same time, mostly because crossover effects might confuse the recovery.

My recovery was unremarkable.

My situation of course is different than yours.

Vasectomies come in two diferent types that I know of. Laparoscopic and open. Lap type is done thruogh a small hole and done pretty much blind and allows the patient to go home with a couple of stitches as soon as the operation is done. The open surgery allows the surgeon to see the contens of your scrotum and thus aviod any conflict or damage to the pump or tubing. But the larger incision apparantly will require an overnight stay. Perhaps for a drain or for more rigorous anti-infection protocols?
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:I had implant and vasectomy at the same time and my surgeon semed to think it was no bid deal. The way I put it was, "As long as you're in there, could you throw in a vasectomy, too?" No problem was the gist of his reply as long as as he did not find any contraindications during the surgery..

I posed the question some months ago on FrankTalk and got a lot of advice not to do both at the same time, mostly because crossover effects might confuse the recovery.

My recovery was unremarkable.

My situation of course is different than yours.

Vasectomies come in two diferent types that I know of. Laparoscopic and open. Lap type is done thruogh a small hole and done pretty much blind and allows the patient to go home with a couple of stitches as soon as the operation is done. The open surgery allows the surgeon to see the contens of your scrotum and thus aviod any conflict or damage to the pump or tubing. But the larger incision apparantly will require an overnight stay. Perhaps for a drain or for more rigorous anti-infection protocols?

Mine was not laproscopically, I had 2 or 3 stitches, it was done in the doctors office and I went home right after. There was some swelling and bruising but nothing all that bad. I had it done on a Thursday and went back to work on the Monday. :)

Larry

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:00 pm

I used the wrong term, Sorry about that. Just a brain freeze, I did not mean kaparoscopic, I meant he minimally invasive pricedure called "no scalpel vasectomy" wherein no incision is made, but rather a small hole is punched in the scrotum and the vas defeens are brought out through this opening and cut and sealed. Since no scalpel or cutting instrument enters rhe scrotum, there is npkittle danger of damaging nerves or blood vessels. Most often, no stitches at all are required.

I imagined that the "NSV" procedure is not recommended for an implanted man when I made my earlier post.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:I used the wrong term, Sorry about that. Just a brain freeze, I did not mean kaparoscopic, I meant he minimally invasive pricedure called "no scalpel vasectomy" wherein no incision is made, but rather a small hole is punched in the scrotum and the vas defeens are brought out through this opening and cut and sealed. Since no scalpel or cutting instrument enters rhe scrotum, there is npkittle danger of damaging nerves or blood vessels. Most often, no stitches at all are required.

I imagined that the "NSV" procedure is not recommended for an implanted man when I made my earlier post.

Yeah, he wouldn't wanna pull the tubing for the pump out thinking it was the vas deferens. :)

Larry

DroptheMike

Postby DroptheMike » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks LS and Larry! Dr. Garber will be using the scalpel method as opposed to the "no scalpel vasectomy". He tells me the recovery time is short and I should be good to go back to work in as little as 48 hours. Infection rate is also supposed to be very low. No doubt still need to be vigilant about taking good care of my "package". Can't be complacent or careless. I've waited too many years!
Mike
Married 57 years old. Made the decision to get an implant after several years of unsuccessful attempts using conventional medication which no longer worked. Titan 22cm w/Genesis pump implanted by Dr. Bruce Garber October 2017. Infrapubic approach.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:37 am

DroptheMike wrote:Thanks LS and Larry! Dr. Garber will be using the scalpel method as opposed to the "no scalpel vasectomy". He tells me the recovery time is short and I should be good to go back to work in as little as 48 hours. Infection rate is also supposed to be very low. No doubt still need to be vigilant about taking good care of my "package". Can't be complacent or careless. I've waited too many years!

Just be very careful of infection because, although it may have nothing to do with your implant, you could lose it if infection (in the same area as the pump). :)

Larry

Return to “Implants”