The difference in inplants

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
merrix

Re: The difference in inplants

Postby merrix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Larry10625 wrote:
FreddyFree wrote:
FreddyFree wrote:
What are maximum cylinder lengths of AMS and Coloplast?

I've heard of 28cm. Titan XLs

Is 21cm. the largest AMS?

Without RTEs.

Yes. :)

Larry

No.
24 cm is the largest AMS. At least according to this data.
http://www.amsmenshealth.com/en-US/prod ... hesis.html

24 is "Special Order" only. :)

Larry
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 pm

24 but in CX, so no length expansion.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:26 am

merrix wrote:
Larry10625 wrote:
FreddyFree wrote:
Is 21cm. the largest AMS?

Without RTEs.

Yes. :)

Larry

No.
24 cm is the largest AMS. At least according to this data.
http://www.amsmenshealth.com/en-US/prod ... hesis.html

The 24cm is Only AVAILABLE AS A SPECIAL ORDER in the AMS 700 CX PS & IP. That is right from your link, which incidentally, is also where I got my information

Larry

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 pm

merrix wrote:What I (think I) know is:

Titan is harder. For several reasons.
Harder material (Bioflex vs Silicon).
Larger diameter which just makes it sturdier and gives it more stability.
Thicker fixed, uninflatable part, which means its base in the crus has a tighter fit.
On average shorter RTEs used since the AMS comes in 3 cm increments and the Titan in 2 cm, plus the fact that most docs will use more RTEs with AMS to avoid the high pump issue with the AMS. And RTEs does, all else equal, make the erection wobblier and less sturdy over time.

Agreed on most points. Larger diameter, thicker (diameter also) rear tip in the crus. RTEs do move the inflatable part further out, and give less "purchase" on the device for the patient's supporting tissues.

But the silicone vs Bioflex, I disagree. Here's my thinking on the matter:

The silicone provides very little rigidity (inflated or uninflated). The silicone is only to coat the woven dacron-lycra, keeping it from leaking saline and the patient's tissues from adhering. Rigidity is provided by the woven dacron-lycra material (but only when inflated). Dacron has almost no stretch (they use if for sails for that reason, so when filled with blowing air, they retain their shape and aerodynamic efficiency). No stretch means when fully inflated, the implant cylinders can be VERY stiff.

Another difference in the inflated rigidity (betwen AMS and Coloplast) is that the Coloplast is larger diameter as well as stiffer material. Larger diameter means an increased moment of inertia and beam strength (look up the terms as Civil Engineers use them).

Coloplast's Titan material is semi-stiff by its nature, so the uninflated penis has a little bit of rigidity all the time. The AMS devices are made of a cloth which has very little rigidity, so when uninflated is more flexible.

I do not know how the modulus of elasticity compares between AMS' woven Dacron and Coloplast's Bioflex. IT would be interesting to know.

From
http://garber-online.com/pdf/PenileImpl ... ew2005.pdf

The inner silicone cylinder is reinforced and its expansion controlled by the middle woven layer. The middle woven layer is either an unidirectional dacron–lycra weave which only allows girth expansion (CX and CXR cylinders), or a bidirectional weave which allows expansion in both length and girth (Ultrex cylinders).

Note: The Ultrex has been discontinued, but the LGX has similar weave and does a better job for the patient.

This article by Dr. Garber also, takes a methodical and pretty complete comparison of the two makers' 5 models currently available.

http://www.garber-online.com/pdf/Garber ... w_2008.pdf

Thanks for reading
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

ocitgo

Postby ocitgo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Last night I read this after Lost Sheep put it online.
http://www.garber-online.com/pdf/Garber ... w_2008.pdf

I would like a library of links to technical information like this on Franktalk.
ocitgo (Bob F), Bremerton, WA
Implanted 11/13/2017 AMS 700LGX 15 cm, leak, 3 cm rear tip
Implanted 06/17/2019 AMS 700LGX 18 cm, 1.5 cm rear tip

Return to “Implants”