Is it difficult for a person who can not speak well English to have surgery in the United States?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
edsince18

Is it difficult for a person who can not speak well English to have surgery in the United States?

Postby edsince18 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 am

I am not American and my English is very awkward.

Now, there are a few doctors in our country who do surgery more than 100 times a year

But my country's market is too small compared to the US, so by the time I get revision surgery(20years later~), these high volume doctor may have retired and remaining doctor's volume may be low.

If so, I want to go to the US for surgery rather than go to low volume doctor , but I do not have good English skill. when i write on the internet, I can use translator and dictionary, but fluent conversation is still hard.

Can clumsy english be serious problem?
ed since high school graduation, 25 years old now

ThePlumber1964

Re: Is it difficult for a person who can not speak well English to have surgery in the United States?

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:28 am

Which is your native language? Believe me, many offices are staffed with people that can fluently speak many languages.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

dg_moore

Re: Is it difficult for a person who can not speak well English to have surgery in the United States?

Postby dg_moore » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:51 am

The University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore, where Dr. Andrew Kramer practices, provides interpretive assistance for patients and families: https://www.ummidtown.org/patients/patient-services/interpretive. I imagine other teaching hospitals provide such services as well. Language doesn't have to be a barrier to getting care.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm

edsince18 wrote:I am not American and my English is very awkward.

Now, there are a few doctors in our country who do surgery more than 100 times a year

But my country's market is too small compared to the US, so by the time I get revision surgery(20years later~), these high volume doctor may have retired and remaining doctor's volume may be low.

If so, I want to go to the US for surgery rather than go to low volume doctor , but I do not have good English skill. when i write on the internet, I can use translator and dictionary, but fluent conversation is still hard.

Can clumsy english be serious problem?

Please create a signature. It makes things much easier to answer your questions without asking a lot of questions. Here's how you do it
Click on your name in the top right corner and select "user control panel"

Then under the big letters "User Control Panel" there is a row of words... select "Profile"

Then down the left had side of the "User Control Panel" select "Edit Signature" (You might have Create Signature or something. I don't know exactly what you'll get because I already have a signature to edit)

Most guys put something like what I have, but you can put whatever you want. Here is mine -
"AMS 700 (18 + 2 rte's). Implanted March 30, 2017 by Dr. Brock of London, Ont, CANADA. Great surgeon. Went in to septic shock and had to have implant removed April 29, 2017. I'm from Belleville, Ontario, CANADA. Appt. for consult for second attempt is on November 6, 2017... I can't wait."

Don't get too carried away with the doctor like his name, address, phone number, etc (anything that looks like advertising for him).. you can certainly say Dr. Jones (great Dr.)

If you need further help, please ask, that's what I'm here for.

Larry

dirtman1993

Postby dirtman1993 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Kramer and the University can help with this
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 pm

In NYC you can find any language translation services on most medical settings.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Return to “Implants”