How did you make an informed decision in choosing your surgeon?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
rancherejim

Re: How did you make an informed decision in choosing your surgeon?

Postby rancherejim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm

I have been referred to Dr. Standly Myers in Portland Or. Has anyone heard anything about him? I just talked to one of his patients from 20 years ago. He told me it still works perfectly after 20 years using it twice a week. My regular UR said he does about a 100 surgery's a year. Any information will be much appreciated.
77 years old, married 58 years. Had ED for the last 10 years or so.
May 2nd, 2018 Coloplast Titan implanted, 24cm with 1cm RTE's. All went well so far.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:09 pm

You’ve made a great decision with Dr Eid. I personally made my decision by researching here on Franktalk. My advice is to always go with a high volume surgeon. There are only a handful of surgeons I’d let operate on my penis. My biggest red flag for a surgeon is size loss. If you don’t have any scarring or peyronies, and the doc says you will lose size, run!

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm

When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in January 2017 and made the decision for surgery vs. radiation I researched surgeons for that procedure and decided on two things. First, I wanted to have robotic surgery rather than the perineal incision type for several reasons. And second, I wanted to have it performed by a surgeon who specialized in that procedure vs. a urologic surgeon who did all kinds of urologic procedures, some of which happened to be robotic prostatectomies. I'm not saying other docs couldn't or wouldn't have done just as good a job, just that that was what I was comfortable with. I went with Dr. David Lee at Penn, as he had a great reputation, was highly recommended by a friend who had been his patient, and had performed nearly 5,000 robotic prostatectomies.

I had started studying the whole implant scene even before my prostate cancer diagnosis, and joined Frank Talk in August of 2016. After the diagnosis and surgery I heard all the talk about nerve sparing and how it can take up to 18 months to get back your full erectile capability and continence. Blah, blah, blah. When asked point blank, my general urologist (a friend of almost 50 years) admitted that it was a false hope to think I would end up with better erectile capabilities after the prostatectomy than I had before -- no matter how good the surgeon-- and that I would be using pills (which already didn't work, a VED and/or injections. Implantation would be a last resort.

I tried the VED to keep or regain some lost size from the prostatectomy (never used it for sex) and tried a bunch of different formulas of injections, all to no avail. I was not going to go through that for 18 months and then start looking for an implant doctor. So my mind was pretty well made up that I would seek an implant as quickly as I could get one.

The same logic came into play as with the prostatectomy. It just made sense to me that I wanted a doc whose practice was implantation, and not general urologic surgery. After spending a LOT of time on the web, the three that I focused on were Perito, Eid and Kramer. I also met with a doc in Philly, but the chemistry wasn't there for me. There were others, but I figured I might as well stay on the east coast. I watched dozens and dozens of videos and became a Frank Talk junkie. Distance narrowed it to Eid and Kramer and I contacted both. Would have been happy with either, but Eid did not take my insurance, and Kramer impressed me with his same-day return phone call for almost an hour. That, and we just seemed to "click".

I know there are lots and lots of terrific implant surgeons who are not as "famous" as these guys. I knew there were risks and that the outcome might not be perfect ( and that I really had no idea what "perfect" would be like ). I figured that if anything wasn't right, at least I wouldn't second guess myself about my choice. As it turned out, I wasn't happy with the location of my pump, had it re-positioned, and still don't second guess my choice. I'm about as happy as a pig in poop now.

Lots of rambling there.... Sorry. Short version is this: For me, I wanted a doc I was comfortable with who had done tons of implants.

Bob
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

jackhammerdreamz

Postby jackhammerdreamz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:52 am

I was gonna write a bunch of shit, but I just found a close one and the only one near me on physician finder, spoke to a brother who had work done by him. I said that was good enough for me. Met him, he was a cool guy, didn't pressure me. I had hi do it 2 months later and now I'm healing like a champ.

I say meet as many as you want to in your area, see if they can have their former implant recipients call you (they can't give YOU their info but they can give yours to them if you are okay with that). The ones who have their old patients call you and who have good things to say, that's the one to go with :)

Just my 2cents.

If you want to go to a celeb doc with 400 surgeries under his belt, that's fine. If you want to find a surgeon near you with a good reputation and you get a good vibe from them, nothing wrong with that either.

Good luck champ :)
39yr old
Revision installed 1/2/2024
Coloplast w/ Genesis pump
PenoScrotal 20cm + 3cm RTE(right) & 2cm RTE(left)
-
Initial install: 2/6/2018
Coloplast Titan Touch
PenoScrotal 20cm + 1.5RTE
Failure: 9/2/2023
-
Dr. Bodie U of MN
ED for 20+ years

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:20 pm

jackhammerdreamz wrote:I was gonna write a bunch of shit, but I just found a close one and the only one near me on physician finder, spoke to a brother who had work done by him. I said that was good enough for me. Met him, he was a cool guy, didn't pressure me. I had hi do it 2 months later and now I'm healing like a champ.

I say meet as many as you want to in your area, see if they can have their former implant recipients call you (they can't give YOU their info but they can give yours to them if you are okay with that). The ones who have their old patients call you and who have good things to say, that's the one to go with :)

Just my 2cents.

If you want to go to a celeb doc with 400 surgeries under his belt, that's fine. If you want to find a surgeon near you with a good reputation and you get a good vibe from them, nothing wrong with that either.

Good luck champ :)

Don't forget about the post op appointments.

Larry

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 pm

Tryin2hard wrote:Hi guys. I am committed to having implant surgery. The Dr. I am seeing now does not instill confidence so I am searching for a new surgeon. My question is how did you make your decision? I am leaning toward going to NY and Dr. Eid simply by reputation but it will be inconvenient and more expensive. Just don't want to go to the extra expense and trouble if there are comparable surgeons in the metro Detroit area that have the same level of experience and skills. Anyone have
any advice? I find it impossible to specific info on any of the Urologists in my area regarding number of surgeries and real experience in penile implants.

Hey Tryin, haven't seen anything from you in a while and just checking to see how you are doing. How did your phone interview go? Do you have an update?
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Tryin2hard

Postby Tryin2hard » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Yes, I have been moving forward on the surgery. I was unable to locate a high volume surgeon in the Detroit area. I have chosen to make the trip to ny and Dr. Eid. Should have my surgery date next week.will keep everyone posted as I make my journey.
68 yrs old. Peyronies diagnosed 3 years ago. tried pills and Trimix injections. Implanted April 13 2018. 18 cm ams lgx with 1 cm rte by Dr. Eid.

imahustla4life20

Postby imahustla4life20 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:44 pm

Has anyone heard of Dr Karen Boyle she is in Maryland and her background seems convincing http://www.chesapeakeaestheticsurgery.c ... -dr-boyle/
I am with God and I welcome God's will.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:23 pm

imahustla4life20 wrote:Has anyone heard of Dr Karen Boyle she is in Maryland and her background seems convincing http://www.chesapeakeaestheticsurgery.c ... -dr-boyle/

As this is the Implant section I would think you are looking for a surgeon for an implant. Have you contacted her office to see if she does implants? The reason I ask is on Health Grades it does not list penile implants as a procedure that she preforms. https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/ ... oyle-yq74p You can also read reviews of her on that link.

I have not heard of or read anything about her prior to this.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

66 years young.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Tryin2hard wrote:Yes, I have been moving forward on the surgery. I was unable to locate a high volume surgeon in the Detroit area. I have chosen to make the trip to ny and Dr. Eid. Should have my surgery date next week.will keep everyone posted as I make my journey.

Thank you for the update. Take care.

66 years young.

Return to “Implants”