Hernia and implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
FreddyFree

Hernia and implant

Postby FreddyFree » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:07 pm

I have a small, painless hernia just above and to the right of my penis. I recently lost a lot of weight, hoping that would "cure" me, that's when I noticed it. It does bulge when I cough. It is most probably fat that has squeezed through my abdominal wall. Dr. says it is not critical but has put my name in to a surgeon.

When I search on FT there are many posts about using hernia to "hide" getting the implant from others. But...

My question is, because of the reservoir placement, will this affect me getting an implant? Can the hernia be repaired at the same time? If not at the same time, should hernia be repaired before or after the implant?
AMS 700 CX 18cm. x 12mm. With 3cm. RTEs. 10/10/18

Anonymous3

Re: Hernia and implant

Postby Anonymous3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:40 pm

The rt side is perferd, but they can postion it other places. They can not tell you where till they are in there. I would talk to both surgeons, have consult with each other and develop a game plan

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 am

FreddyFree wrote:I have a small, painless hernia just above and to the right of my penis. I recently lost a lot of weight, hoping that would "cure" me, that's when I noticed it. It does bulge when I cough. It is most probably fat that has squeezed through my abdominal wall. Dr. says it is not critical but has put my name in to a surgeon.

When I search on FT there are many posts about using hernia to "hide" getting the implant from others. But...

My question is, because of the reservoir placement, will this affect me getting an implant? Can the hernia be repaired at the same time? If not at the same time, should hernia be repaired before or after the implant?

I had my surgery last June. I had previously had a double hernia surgery years ago. I told the surgeon this and he said he would just have to wait and see. Everything went great. I don't know where he placed the reservoir and nor do I care. :lol: Who knows, the surgeon might repair the hernia when he's in there. :D
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

farmallfarmer

Postby farmallfarmer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm

I had 2 hernia surgeries prior to my implant. Reservoir was placed just above my belt line. I have not had any problems with it placed there.

Richard

INfarmer

Postby INfarmer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Since I am left handed everything was on the left side. My hernia was at my bellybutton so I don’t think it matters
52 married 25 years, ED started when I was in military from nerve damage back & PTSD in 2003 following my last deployment. Implant was done at Hines VAMC by Loyola University. They implanted a AMS 700 CX (18 cm with 5 cm tips) installed on 10/4/2017.

Return to “Implants”