Going Back to Work (Driving)

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Fundle

Going Back to Work (Driving)

Postby Fundle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:19 am

One of my biggest remaining pre-implant questions is having a realistic idea of how long it might be until I can go back to work after my implant surgery, barring any complications.

As much as I'd like to be retired, I'm not at that point yet. I still work full time as a tour bus driver, driving an average of five days a week all over the eastern US and Canada. Which means I mostly work sitting down, on a bouncing seat. I believe there are at least a couple of other professional drivers here who have had implant surgery, and others likely have good input, too. Any suggestions as to what I could expect? My surgery date is planned to be March 1st, 2018.

Loading luggage on overnight trips is also an issue, although not so much this time of the year, as I don't do many overnight trips until the summer.

Bob
Age 66. Originally scheduled for penile implant surgery March 1, 2018 with Dr. Garber in Phila, but delayed for insurance reasons. ED for 20 years; tried testosterone replacement, ED meds, pump, tri-mix injections. All helped for a time, but no longer.

Anonymous3

Re: Going Back to Work (Driving)

Postby Anonymous3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:57 am

My dr would not let me do any of the stuff I normally do for 8 weeks post. Climbing up and down of the tractor, cutting trees, skidding logs. First 3 could not lift any thing over 8 lbs. Talk to your dr tell him what you do and follow his advise. If he goes thru the sac driving long distances will hurt till your healed

INfarmer

Postby INfarmer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 am

I As a police officer was told I would not be allowed back to work until week 8 and was told that I was not to lift anything over 10 pounds during that time. I was lucky and healed very quick and on my 6 week follow up the doc told me I could go back to work and I did, so I am betting that if you heal fast you’ll rBe back like me Or if you take longer it will be around the 8 week mark
52 married 25 years, ED started when I was in military from nerve damage back & PTSD in 2003 following my last deployment. Implant was done at Hines VAMC by Loyola University. They implanted a AMS 700 CX (18 cm with 5 cm tips) installed on 10/4/2017.

Fundle

Postby Fundle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 am

Yikes! Not what I wanted to hear … but thanks, guys, for the responses. It is helpful having a better idea what to expect so I can plan ahead.

Bob
Age 66. Originally scheduled for penile implant surgery March 1, 2018 with Dr. Garber in Phila, but delayed for insurance reasons. ED for 20 years; tried testosterone replacement, ED meds, pump, tri-mix injections. All helped for a time, but no longer.

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am

The lifting is the real problem

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:05 pm

The priority is to heal, not to expedite your job/normal life activities! You may be get released from the hospital within 24 hours after the procedure, but make no mistake: this is a complex surgery that you have a lot to gain by waiting for appropriate healing, and a lot to lose by rushing to go back to work before you are fully healed.

ThePlumber
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Spikepork

Postby Spikepork » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I'm at 4 weeks post op and now doing very light work outs at the gym at home. Also driving seems totally ok but haven't driven for more than 30 mins in one go. Think I could comfortably drive for an hour or so. Not lifting anything heavy but listen to your Dr. You get one go to get this right.
Now Implanted 9/12/17. 52 years old with ED for over 20 years. Tried all the pills and injections. Update. Implanted with Titan 22 + 1. by DR Ralph Dec 9th London. Now in recovery and at 3 months feeling the journey was worth the pain.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Fundle wrote:One of my biggest remaining pre-implant questions is having a realistic idea of how long it might be until I can go back to work after my implant surgery, barring any complications.

As much as I'd like to be retired, I'm not at that point yet. I still work full time as a tour bus driver, driving an average of five days a week all over the eastern US and Canada. Which means I mostly work sitting down, on a bouncing seat. I believe there are at least a couple of other professional drivers here who have had implant surgery, and others likely have good input, too. Any suggestions as to what I could expect? My surgery date is planned to be March 1st, 2018.

Loading luggage on overnight trips is also an issue, although not so much this time of the year, as I don't do many overnight trips until the summer.

Bob

Hi Bob;
I fully understand about taking time off from work BUT, you really need to follow what your doctor says and listen to what your body is telling you. If you don't, you could hurt yourself and need to take even more time off.

Larry

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm finding driving to be pretty uncomfortable for me at 3 weeks. Something about being belted into the seat in a fixed position causes irritation in my scrotum. Short drives are okay but 1+ hour doesn't feel good yet.

You might want to try some short trips before committing to a tour.
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:29 pm

warrenw wrote:I'm finding driving to be pretty uncomfortable for me at 3 weeks. Something about being belted into the seat in a fixed position causes irritation in my scrotum. Short drives are okay but 1+ hour doesn't feel good yet.

You might want to try some short trips before committing to a tour.

There is still the luggage problem. I would not throwing my bags in the bin. However there are some whinies that would insist that he load their bags

Return to “Implants”