EXPECTATIONS regarding being bionic -- REQUIRED reading for all possible implantees (includes partner satisfaction))

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
TANGERINE

EXPECTATIONS regarding being bionic -- REQUIRED reading for all possible implantees (includes partner satisfaction))

Postby TANGERINE » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 pm

I was doing some internet searches and came across a new, 2017 article. This is really useful since it evaluates the experience that we who have been implanted in the last five years currently face.

Preoperative counseling and expectation management for inflatable penile prosthesis implantation
Gopal L. Narang1, Bradley D. Figler1, Robert M. Coward1,2
1Department of Urology, UNC School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, USA; eigh, NC, USA

Post-operative satisfaction
……Contemporary series have cited IPP satisfaction rates from 78–96% . …… among a cohort of 47 men who underwent IPP placement and reported 79% satisfaction. When analyzing the reasons for satisfaction, they noted psychological factors, relational factors, improvements of sexual function, and improvement in voiding (63). …..Although the vast majority of patients are satisfied with IPP placement, minor dissatisfaction can occur. Poor surgical outcomes such as infection, erosion, device failure, or intraoperative complications clearly may affect satisfaction. Other than recognized complications,….patient dissatisfaction was attributed to decreased penile length, unrealistic expectations, unnatural feel, infrequent intercourse, delayed ejaculation, and partner dissatisfaction . Inappropriate assumptions regarding the penile prosthesis, its implantation, the resulting erection, or its effect on preexisting relationships may be causes for post-operative dissatisfaction …… Focused communication regarding changes in penile length and sensation as well as the dynamics of partner satisfaction are the next key steps in expectation management.

Penile length and sensation
One of the most common reasons for post-operative dissatisfaction after penile prosthesis implantation is perceived loss of penile length (66). Over 70% of patients endorse a loss in length, even in the absence of measurable evidence (48). Preoperative stretched length provides a realistic expectation for post-operative results (67). Patients should be counseled on post-operative length and understand that IPP placement will help restore rigidity but not augment length, even when the lengthening cylinder of the AMS 700 LGX is chosen. Strategies to maintain length, such as preoperative vacuum erection device use, have been proposed and may benefit overly concerned patients. While the authors of this review do not routinely recommend it, a suggestion of a short period of preoperative vacuum therapy or penile traction for certain patients prior to penile implant surgery may facilitate active participation on the patient’s part to help them achieve what they perceive to be the maximum possible length. Patients with a history of radical prostatectomy, corporal fibrosis from such conditions as priapism or intracavernosal injections, and Peyronie’s disease are at increased risk of penile shortening and may require additional focused counseling (43).
Changes in penile sensation should also be addressed preoperatively. Poor glandular engorgement after prosthesis implantation can affect patient and partner satisfaction (66). The use of intra-urethral alprostadil may be an effective therapeutic option for some patients lacking glandular engorgement (68). Some may experience an unnatural feeling with intercourse which can also influence satisfaction (69). This can improve with time, and additionally may improve with appropriate sex or couple’s therapy. Ultimately, setting appropriate preoperative expectations regarding penile length and sensation is the best way to limit post-operative dissatisfaction for these common complaints.

Partner satisfaction
Researchers have shown that satisfaction after surgery is influenced by both the patient and the partner. Gittens and colleagues evaluated patient and partner satisfaction after IPP placement using patient surveys and demonstrated 77.8% and 78.1% satisfaction, respectively (59). When further examining the relationship, they found that patients who were more satisfied with their implant had statistically significant higher partner satisfaction scores, compared with men reporting dissatisfaction with their device. Interestingly, patients who were dissatisfied with their implant were more likely to have partners with low female sexual functional scores (70). This observation highlights the importance of counseling the female partner prior to placement of the IPP in order to assess female partner sexual dysfunction and libido.
Such a study speaks to the multifaceted and interconnected nature of patient and partner satisfaction. Partners are often overlooked during preoperative counseling and unaware of changes that may occur with implantation. These changes, such as decreased penile length, girth, and glandular rigidity can affect a partner’s sexual experience. Furthermore, IPP implantation alters the dynamics of intercourse, as prosthesis inflation and deflation need to be incorporated seamlessly and may prove difficult for some patients.
Involving partners early in preoperative counseling may help optimize the post-operative experience. Counseling may facilitate communication and help set appropriate expectation. Patients and partners may also benefit from pre-surgical sex therapy, focusing on increasing sexual communication and offering strategies to apply postoperatively (8).

Conclusions
Preoperative counseling is a dynamic process that begins at the first visit and continues until the patient enters the operating room,,,,,,,,. Lastly, expectation management with a detailed discussion of penile length, sensation, and patient and partner satisfaction is paramount to having a satisfied patient after placement of an IPP. Providing accurate, realistic expectations ultimately prepares patients for the best possible outcomes.

I hope this is helpful to you all, it just came out, TANGERINE

please read the full article: (see the link below)

http://tau.amegroups.com/article/view/15756/17726
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

dg_moore

Re: EXPECTATIONS regarding being bionic -- REQUIRED reading for all possible implantees (includes partner satisfaction))

Postby dg_moore » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Not much of a study - the findings are pretty much in the "no duh" category.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Anonymous3

Re: EXPECTATIONS regarding being bionic -- REQUIRED reading for all possible implantees (includes partner satisfaction))

Postby Anonymous3 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:06 pm

So somebody surveyed a 100 guys not very impressive

robertm

Postby robertm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:21 pm

It's interesting that they imply that pre-operative VED therapy could have psychological benefits but not real physical benefits. That's disappointing.
60 yrs old. Gradually worsening ED for 10 years. Pills and trimix not working well anymore. Will need an implant in the near future.

Donnie1954

Postby Donnie1954 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm

I firmly believe that pre operative VED protocol will definitely have a positive physical effect on you outcome. I pumped for sex for 2 years. Very positive results. No loss of length.
Donnie
Implant AMS 700 CX, MS (18cm x 12mm with 5.5cm RTEs) on 10\4\16. 64 Dr. Edward Kata of Orlando. Awesome surgeon. Check out, 'DD Bryan. My implant journey, Wit and Wisdom, Stretching routine, Implant Pics, Natural Hang. Live in Ga.

AirWolf

Postby AirWolf » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 pm

My wife was used to 12 years of injections, so the implant was a bit of a step up. She liked the injections as it gave a rock hard, impervious to life issues erection (back when it worked). The implant is faster (to erection than injection) and provides even more control than injections.

I don't think I would have skipped my injection phase but I'm glad to be in the implant phase. My injected penis looked more natural, and had better length, girth, and angle, but I love the ease and control of the implant. Although I'm about an inch shorter than before, I hope to gain it back over the next year.

A positive attitude and supportive partner makes a big difference!
ED since 35 with no known cause -- injections successful for over a decade with 10/1/30 and less than 20units but that became ineffective. Implanted penoscratally by Dr. Kramer of Baltimore on 9/13/17 with AMS 700 LGX 21cm + 0.5cm RTE at 47 years old

Fundle

Postby Fundle » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:25 pm

robertm wrote:It's interesting that they imply that pre-operative VED therapy could have psychological benefits but not real physical benefits. That's disappointing.

At my most recent pre-surgery appointment last week, I specifically asked Dr. Garber whether this would help, having read so much about it in the forum posts. He said he's seen no benefit in his experience, and did not recommend it. Just saying.

Bob
Age 66. Originally scheduled for penile implant surgery March 1, 2018 with Dr. Garber in Phila, but delayed for insurance reasons. ED for 20 years; tried testosterone replacement, ED meds, pump, tri-mix injections. All helped for a time, but no longer.

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:45 pm

That is contrary to the article I read with documention of results. But belive what you want to . DONT MAKE a statement mandatory read. There are a hell of a lot more research than one study of a 100 men. Survey can and are written to taint the responses thevway the research want it to go.

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:06 am

Dr. Dennean (spelling?), which has his practice in Daytona Beach, has an extensive paper on this subject, basically demonstrating that a well followed VED protocol does help patients to regain elasticity, which in turn translates into size. Most physicians that I have talked about it, mentioned his work and publication with high level of respect.

ThePlumber
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Donnie1954

Postby Donnie1954 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:14 am

I can proudly say that VED protocol works. If your contemplating an implant and you can, start pumping!
Donnie
Implant AMS 700 CX, MS (18cm x 12mm with 5.5cm RTEs) on 10\4\16. 64 Dr. Edward Kata of Orlando. Awesome surgeon. Check out, 'DD Bryan. My implant journey, Wit and Wisdom, Stretching routine, Implant Pics, Natural Hang. Live in Ga.

Return to “Implants”