Cath after implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Anonymous3

Cath after implant

Postby Anonymous3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:47 pm

I know we all hate the damn things. It looks like am getting a hip replacement next month. When the did the rt one in 08 against my objections they did a cath. Their reason was I had 3 bags of iv fluid and had mot peed. If will be at differnt hospital next month. If they have to do a cath are there any precautions?

dg_moore

Re: Cath after implant

Postby dg_moore » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't think so. Your implant shouldn't interfere with a catheter (or vice versa). Certainly they are aware of your implant and will take whatever precautions may be necessary, but I wouldn't think anything beyond ordinary care will be required.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Thank you. If ir was tge previous hospital I would not have it done. They alm9st killed me in 08

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:22 am

hturner12 wrote:I know we all hate the damn things. It looks like am getting a hip replacement next month. When the did the rt one in 08 against my objections they did a cath. Their reason was I had 3 bags of iv fluid and had mot peed. If will be at differnt hospital next month. If they have to do a cath are there any precautions?

If you are on a catheter any more than a few days, ask for antibiotics to prevent a UTI. They happen A LOT. I know we ask them not to put them in, but they have to. With IV fluids going in, they have to make sure there is just as much output. If you ever get urinary retention you will learn a whole new respect for catheters. Urinary retention is very painful. Hope this helps. :)

Larry

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:46 am

Thanks Larry. Just have to wait and see may not need. I was just concerned about any precautions because of the implant

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 am

hturner12 wrote:Thanks Larry. Just have to wait and see may not need. I was just concerned about any precautions because of the implant

I think those implants are a lot tougher than our immune system... :)

Larry

TomW46

Postby TomW46 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I know that I had a Foley's cath after my implant. I HATED that bastard. I wonder if the Coloplast cath is better?
Age 72, wife is 52. 20+1 cm Titan Touch implanted by Dr. Kramer on 18 October 2017. Revision to AMS LGX 21+2 cm on 11 June 2018 by Dr. Carrion at Tampa General. Age-related ED + slight Peyronies bend (left) and slight hourglass in the center.

nbriley

Postby nbriley » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:47 pm

I had to have a catheter when I went home, could not pee even tho I had the urge so they left it in for another week, I was on antibiotics plus my rejection drugs for transplant and finally when my local md took catheter out and sent me home I would try and pee every hour until I started with a dribble then got a weak flow going and by end of day I could at least pee a little and it just got better after that, a real relief but catheters are no fun period
Pump, pills and Trimix no longer work
Surgery November 7, 2017 Dr Hakky. AMS CX

Eugene

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:24 pm

I feel for you as I had the same experience. I was unable to pee after the procedure as well. In fact they had difficulty inserting the catheter apparently due to a constricture as a result of my prostrate surgery years ago. The surgeon had to dilate me to get the catheter in. That was not a fun experience. I also had my catheter in for a week. That was even less fun. I was so relieved when they pulled that thing out. All was good after that. I would have to believe others had a similar experience.
Prostatectomy and radiation therapy 2/05. AMS 700 implanted 9/17.

rooster2

Postby rooster2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 pm

I had a foley cath in for a week after prostate surgery, wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. 6 weeks later had a foley installed because of side effects from surgery for two weeks. I learned that the irritation discomfort was at the entry point into my johnson. If I lubed the foley tube 4-5 times a day, slightly pulling out the tube, and lubbing with a cream, then pushing it back into my johnson, the irritation was solved. The doctor's office should tell this to all patients upon leaving with a foley. I wasn't told much of anything except to "just lube."

I also learned to lay the urine collection bag on the bed next to me at night, not hanging it over the side of the bed. On the bed, the bag was still lower then my body, and urine easily flowed into the bag, and did not back flow. This gave me a lot more maneuvering room to move around in the bed. I had a plastic lining on the mattress cover, in case the tubing came loose and flooded the bed. Luckily, the tubing never came out.

Just the two above procedures made living with a Foley much easier. Actually, much of the Foley usage during the last two weeks was really a breeze. I would forget I was wearing a foley for long periods of time, and would nearly over flow the bag.

I hope the above advise helps someone in the future.
Age 72, married 30 years, had Robotic RP 8/06.17, non nerve sparing. Lengthy recovery problems after surgery & radiation. On hormone therapy so no libido. Use Trimix with results. Considering implant, concern re painful recovery

Return to “Implants”