How Long for Implant After Prostate Surgery?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Cigar56

Re: How Long for Implant After Prostate Surgery?

Postby Cigar56 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

radioradio wrote:Cigar,
Yikes! Is right. Tough decisions.
I only waited as long as it took to satisfy myself and the insurance company that nothing worked. PCa diagnosis 1/8/17. Robot RP 3/1/17. Started VED 4/1/17 for the health of my penis, not for sex. Injections sometime in May -- very painful and ineffective. Called to schedule pre-op and surgery mid June. Implant 8/2/17.
FT and guys I got to know through FT were instrumental in helping make my decision, stick with my decision and heal. The recurring theme I kept seeing was that most guys' only regret was waiting so long to take the plunge.
Happy to chat any time. PM me if you'd like. But there are many many guys who are further down the path with much more knowledge than I have.
Bob 2.1

Hey radioradio,

I definitely will be in touch with you after my next appointment with my prostate surgeon. I appreciate your willingness to share!

Thanks again.
I've tried everything -- pills, injections pumps -- and now I am at the final frontier.

Cigar56

Postby Cigar56 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Oldcrohny62 wrote:I have taken more time than most with the implant decision. With RP in 2013 and incontinence as result the dr thought I would improve, but still have moderate incontinence and use Tena pads. Not good for active person. Have tried pills, trimix and Xiaflex with little results for erection.
Current Urologist in Kansas City said a pelvic sling could greatly help incontinence and can be put in at time of penile implant in Dec. 2017. I am actually looking forward to the surgery even realizing there is discomfort afterwards.
Even with all the issues I am thankful for PSA of 0.01 at nearly 5 years.
Not sure I helped much, just know the PC and effects are difficult.

Thanks Oldcrohny62,

The only thing I really worry about is the incontinence, but if that's what it takes to live longer I'll accept it. I appreciate you telling your story. That's great news on your 0.01 PSA. May you continue to live a great life.

Cigar
I've tried everything -- pills, injections pumps -- and now I am at the final frontier.

radiodec

Postby radiodec » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 pm

It is never too late or to late to have your body make the choice for you. I went 12 years till the injections quit and I went to an implant. Wore it out and am now recovering from the revision for a new one.

Make your decision in your own time frame, but at some point your body will decide for you. Good luck with your deciding. With my prostate cancer, the cancer and my body didn't give me choices either. PSA of 5.0 going to 5.5 in a year. Ultrasound showed only slightly enlarged prostate. Biopsy, Gleason 8s and 9s with 80% of prostate involved. No robot surgery, no nerve sparing, just an open radical prostatectomy with two surgeons working together.

David
70 - married 47 years: RP - 2000, injections till 2012, AMS700LGX with 21cm tubes 2cm extenders 11/7/2012, failed 6/5/2017 --- Re-implanted 8/18/2017 with AMS 700CX -- Implants by Dr. David Morris, Hendersonville,TN

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Cigar56 wrote:
Tybeeman wrote:Cigar, I was ion the same boat as you. Mine finally jumped up to a Gleason 7 in November of 2015 It was sin the same location as your but it covered 25% of the prostrate. Very tough spot. I elected to go to the Global Robotics Institute in Celebration Florida and Doctor Patel. He does a 1000 prostatectomy a year. He said he has done over a 1000 of the location of mine. I would call them and send them you records and fine out what they think. He will have one of his doctors on staff call you.

I got to Celebration on Wednesday at 7:00 am and meet with Dr. Patel. He operated on Friday took my catheter out 4 days Tuesday, released me the next day and I was sitting at my desk days after surgery.

Hey Tybeeman, how you been? Yep, you left room for me in your boat. :D ;) I have heard good things about Dr. Patel. His office is only about 25 minutes from my house. The thing I like about him is that he has tremendous experience with more than 1,000 surgeries a year. The one thing I don't like like about him is that he performs more than 1,000 surgeries a year. Clearly, he is focused on generating revenue and is almost always apt to advise surgery immediately. On the other hand he is obviously good at what he does.

We'll see what happens when I visit with my current surgeon in a few weeks. Decisions, decisions!

My implant surgeon did a Cystoscopy on me before I had my implant. After he look at everything he asked me who did my prostratetomy. I told him Patel, he said that it was an excellent job. If you meet Dr Patel you will find that he is not doing it for the money. He teaches all over the world
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

Bandit

Postby Bandit » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Cigar
Unusual to have implant prior to prostate removal. My prostate was not enlarged at all. Infact my psa was less than 4. Gleason score was 8 & cancerous tumor began to protrude outside the prostate. RRP was done 3 weeks later & nerves spared on only one side. I was only 56 years old at the time. Didnt count on this in my life. Needless to say i could never get natural erections. Tried pills didnt work. Gel in the tip of my dick hurt like hell. Needle in my dick never gave me a good erection & would stay hard but not in a good way. And like the Catman, i waited 2.5 years to get implant. Should have done it sooner. Your situation is that you have ED issues prior to RRP. I just wonder that if you require surgery at a later date it might effect your implant. (Tubing, reservoir, continence). Right now based on the enlargement you have to worry about continence. Then on the other hand, you may never have to have it removed. Your issues are not as clear cut as mine. I would get multiple opinions but that could muddy the waters too. A lot to think about!
Bandit
Born 1958, married. Prostate Cancer. RRP November/2014. PSA undetectable since. Implant May/2017 AMS700LGX 18 cm + 1.5 cm RTEs.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:35 pm

If I had it to do over again I would have wanted the implant immediately. Save years of hell for my wife and I. After reading a government study last year that said 80% of prostatectomy patients will need one 3 years post and by 4-5 years post over 90% will need one affirms it.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:46 pm

alibaba wrote:If I had it to do over again I would have wanted the implant immediately. Save years of hell for my wife and I. After reading a government study last year that said 80% of prostatectomy patients will need one 3 years post and by 4-5 years post over 90% will need one affirms it.

I did not know that but I can tell you I had a text book nerve spairing surgery and I was100% ED. I think they are full of it when they say 90% don't have ED
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 am

Tybeeman wrote:
alibaba wrote:If I had it to do over again I would have wanted the implant immediately. Save years of hell for my wife and I. After reading a government study last year that said 80% of prostatectomy patients will need one 3 years post and by 4-5 years post over 90% will need one affirms it.

I did not know that but I can tell you I had a text book nerve spairing surgery and I was100% ED. I think they are full of it when they say 90% don't have ED

Tybee,
I agree. I believe the prostate surgeons paint way too rosy a picture to their patients.
Bob 2.1
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:51 am

radioradio wrote:
Tybeeman wrote:

Tybee,
I agree. I believe the prostate surgeons paint way too rosy a picture to their patients.
Bob 2.1

Yes but I will tell you that I do believe that a good surgeon is worth his weight if he is abler to eliminate Urinary complication.
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16

Bandit

Postby Bandit » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:42 pm

There was a resolution in not being able to fuck. Got my implant and its all working out. As far as the surgeon that did my RRP, Dr. Joe Renzulli saved my life. 3 years, cancer free !
Bandit
Born 1958, married. Prostate Cancer. RRP November/2014. PSA undetectable since. Implant May/2017 AMS700LGX 18 cm + 1.5 cm RTEs.

Return to “Implants”