A difficult choice - Experience or Continuity

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
torless50

Re: A difficult choice - Experience or Continuity

Postby torless50 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 am

Option A without any doubt
Peyronie
Thinking about implant

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:27 am

I would (and did) go with option "A". I think what happens during the half hour or so between the time of the incision and the time of the close is probably far more important than what happens post operatively. Just my two cents. But what's most important is that you go with the option you're most comfortable with.
All the best to you.
Bob 2.0
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

David_R

Postby David_R » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 am

I went with a local doctor, one whom I had had in the past for a vasectomy, kidney stone (only once, thank you, God!), and a prostatectomy. He had a good reputation for implants, and I was able to talk with one of his "satisfied customers" before I made the decision.

I don't remember seeing anyone bring up talking with a doctor's patient who had had a successful implant put in. I think that would extremely helpful (as would the doctor's implant reputation, etc. of course).

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:07 am

David_R wrote:I went with a local doctor, one whom I had had in the past for a vasectomy, kidney stone (only once, thank you, God!), and a prostatectomy. He had a good reputation for implants, and I was able to talk with one of his "satisfied customers" before I made the decision.

I don't remember seeing anyone bring up talking with a doctor's patient who had had a successful implant put in. I think that would extremely helpful (as would the doctor's implant reputation, etc. of course).

Well, I don't know US law but, privacy laws here prevent any doctor from naming any of his patients, so unless the come to visit you in the doctors office before the surgery, there is no way to find out.

Larry

David_R

Postby David_R » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 am

Larry10625 wrote:
David_R wrote:I went with a local doctor, one whom I had had in the past for a vasectomy, kidney stone (only once, thank you, God!), and a prostatectomy. He had a good reputation for implants, and I was able to talk with one of his "satisfied customers" before I made the decision.

Well, I don't know US law but, privacy laws here prevent any doctor from naming any of his patients, so unless the come to visit you in the doctors office before the surgery, there is no way to find out.

Larry

I had the doctor's office give my phone number to this patient (whose name I did not know), and he called me. Since he was telling me about his own case, I do not think that this was a violation of any privacy laws.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 am

David_R wrote:
Larry10625 wrote:

Larry

I had the doctor's office give my phone number to this patient (whose name I did not know), and he called me. Since he was telling me about his own case, I do not think that this was a violation of any privacy laws.

Yeah, that wouldn't be a violation here

Larry

Zxylpk

Postby Zxylpk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm

I did the research and went with the best surgeon I could find on the west coast. True it wasn't as convenient as using my local uro, but when it came to someone cutting into my dick, I wasn't willing to gamble. Granted, travel time, hotels, etc are an issue, but I wouldn't see anyone else for surgery, and/or follow up visits. And he has a great assistant who I talk to frequently so I don't have to worry about bothering the doc with all my trivial questions.
74 y/o Implant 21cm, 1cm rte ams 700 CX, Feb 21, 2017, Dr. Karpman, Mt View, CA

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Tybeeman wrote:In your case I would go local. I almost went my local doctor that I have seen for 25 years, but I found Dr. Hakky in Atlanta. It is a less then 4 hour drive and I can drive anywhere in the same day, if it is only 8 hours round trip. I am 8 weeks and after surgery I saw him at 24 hours and 48 hours. I drove back twice more for follow ups and will see him again next week and hopefully a final time in October for my ultrasound check to see if everything is OK. I am, one of those guys that hate to talk on a phone. I like to se them in person. I did the same with my prostatectomy. I drove 4 hours to Orlando several time for 3 month check up till the one year mark. Depends on what makes you feel the most comfortable. lot of great surgeons out there. As I have said before, in 2016 there were 52,000 implants surgeries preformed. The big 3 doctors do about 1800 of them. Who does the other 50,200? Lot of great surgeons out there.

Tybee, where ya been man. Haven't seen you in a while. :lol:
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:39 pm

sliphill wrote:
Tybeeman wrote:In your case I would go local. I almost went my local doctor that I have seen for 25 years, but I found Dr. Hakky in Atlanta. It is a less then 4 hour drive and I can drive anywhere in the same day, if it is only 8 hours round trip. I am 8 weeks and after surgery I saw him at 24 hours and 48 hours. I drove back twice more for follow ups and will see him again next week and hopefully a final time in October for my ultrasound check to see if everything is OK. I am, one of those guys that hate to talk on a phone. I like to se them in person. I did the same with my prostatectomy. I drove 4 hours to Orlando several time for 3 month check up till the one year mark. Depends on what makes you feel the most comfortable. lot of great surgeons out there. As I have said before, in 2016 there were 52,000 implants surgeries preformed. The big 3 doctors do about 1800 of them. Who does the other 50,200? Lot of great surgeons out there.

I been right here. I am not going to wear the point off it in the first few months like you LOL
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Tybeeman wrote:
sliphill wrote:

I been right here. I am not going to wear the point off it in the first few months like you LOL

:lol:
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

Return to “Implants”