Going back to work and when?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.

Moderator: Larry10625

Tybeeman
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:54 am
Location: Savannah, Ga.
Contact:

Going back to work and when?

Postby Tybeeman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 am

I am now 3 weeks post op.

So, for you guys getting ready for the journey, just a few observations of my last 3 weeks of post op and working. The pain really wasn’t that bad and I only had to take oxycodone for 3 days then to ibuprofen afterwards. It is really just sore over the last 3 weeks The soreness today is very minimal. I am just feeling the implant in me, which feels a little weird. I was probably set back a little last week because of a yeast infection, that has been resolved. I was regimented on laying down and icing for the first 7 days. I worked 3 days the second week in my office and a full week last week with no problem. I think everyone will agree that the first week is key. Plant your ass on a bed or couch and ice. If you must work your second week at a desk it will probably be fine. You may want to bring a small cool pack with you to use while you are sitting at your desk. Your walking will be fine unless you really want to walk like a cowboy just getting off a horse. All that said, everyone is different.
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

sliphill
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:27 am
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Going back to work and when?

Postby sliphill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 am

Tybeeman wrote:I am now 3 weeks post op.

So, for you guys getting ready for the journey, just a few observations of my last 3 weeks of post op and working. The pain really wasn’t that bad and I only had to take oxycodone for 3 days then to ibuprofen afterwards. It is really just sore over the last 3 weeks The soreness today is very minimal. I am just feeling the implant in me, which feels a little weird. I was probably set back a little last week because of a yeast infection, that has been resolved. I was regimented on laying down and icing for the first 7 days. I worked 3 days the second week in my office and a full week last week with no problem. I think everyone will agree that the first week is key. Plant your ass on a bed or couch and ice. If you must work your second week at a desk it will probably be fine. You may want to bring a small cool pack with you to use while you are sitting at your desk. Your walking will be fine unless you really want to walk like a cowboy just getting off a horse. All that said, everyone is different.


I went back after the second week, only because I could do that. I had a lot of sick time accrued. Probably could have gone back the second week. Glad you're feeling better Tybee. For me, I was really feeling the pump in me. Didn't hurt, but it's just that I was conscious it was there all the time. It was at day 32, when I realized that I wasn't thinking about it anymore, it didn't seem to bother me. I'm now at day 38. I remember one member telling me it will soon be your best friend.
Ed (sliphill) 62

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

David_R
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:03 pm
Location: Northeast Maryland

Re: Going back to work and when?

Postby David_R » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 am

I totally agree with you guys. I spent my first week in a recliner, with ice and Rx pain meds, followed by OTC meds. I was back to work in a week (at a desk job), feeling uncomfortable a bit but not in great pain like at the beginning. :)
Baltimore area. Age 68. Prostatectomy in 2000, CX inserted in 2002. It wore out after 12 yrs., got LGX in 2014. I am glad I had them both. My great urologist is Dr. Marc Siegelbaum. (After some time of regular inflating I regained my original length.)

TANGERINE
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Going back to work and when?

Postby TANGERINE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm

my surgeon is pretty clear about this:

1) if you have a desk job, then one week after surgery back to work
2) if you are on your feet a lot, then 2 weeks after surgery , back to work

From my experience, I was back at work at 2 weeks and felt 95%. I suppose if you are an athlete or a moving man with a truck, then perhaps three weeks is best, but that would only be for the very active muscle men types.
"Strive hard to find the best implant surgeon -- surgical experience really matters"
(Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) Great experience -- I'm super pleased with my length and girth and implant performance.

Tybeeman
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:54 am
Location: Savannah, Ga.
Contact:

Re: Going back to work and when?

Postby Tybeeman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 pm

TANGERINE wrote:my surgeon is pretty clear about this:

1) if you have a desk job, then one week after surgery back to work
2) if you are on your feet a lot, then 2 weeks after surgery , back to work

From my experience, I was back at work at 2 weeks and felt 95%. I suppose if you are an athlete or a moving man with a truck, then perhaps three weeks is best, but that would only be for the very active muscle men types.


I guess I should have add that. I am at 3 weeks and I am fine doing more walking in my job, but if you have a very physical job. At less 3 weeks. But that is just me.
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

ddbryan1972
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Going back to work and when?

Postby ddbryan1972 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 pm

I went back to work after rotor cuff surgery in June and my implant in Oct. Because I had rotor cuff surgery they insisted I take it easy for about a month. No one knew about my 'other' surgery till later. When I returned two weeks after the implant. I wore loose pleated pants and a shirt that covered my crotch. Easily hiding my very prominent stiffy.
Donnie
Implant AMS 700 CX, MS (18cm x 12mm with 5.5cm RTEs) on 10\4\16. 63 Dr. Edward Kata of Orlando. Awesome surgeon. Infrapubic. 9\2\72 . Follow me on my thread's 'DD Bryan. My implant journey 'Wit and Wisdom', 'Stretching routine'.
.

Bigred
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 am
Location: SC

Re: Going back to work and when?

Postby Bigred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Well, I'm retired but did cut grass about 10 days after surgery. Drive with one hand, my nuts in the other!
66 YO, Implant 6/7/2017 at University of Maryland by Dr. Andrew Kramer, High Volume Implant Surgeon. AMS 700. Great expierence with zero complications.

Tybeeman
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:54 am
Location: Savannah, Ga.
Contact:

Re: Going back to work and when?

Postby Tybeeman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 am

ddbryan1972 wrote:I went back to work after rotor cuff surgery in June and my implant in Oct. Because I had rotor cuff surgery they insisted I take it easy for about a month. No one knew about my 'other' surgery till later. When I returned two weeks after the implant. I wore loose pleated pants and a shirt that covered my crotch. Easily hiding my very prominent stiffy.
Donnie


How is that rotor cuff doing? My wife had it back in March and is still having to work out. but she has it almost totally rebuilt
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

ddbryan1972
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Going back to work and when?

Postby ddbryan1972 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 am

Mine was in bad shape. Took 4 hours. Doing great but will eventually have other one done I'm afraid.
Donnie
Implant AMS 700 CX, MS (18cm x 12mm with 5.5cm RTEs) on 10\4\16. 63 Dr. Edward Kata of Orlando. Awesome surgeon. Infrapubic. 9\2\72 . Follow me on my thread's 'DD Bryan. My implant journey 'Wit and Wisdom', 'Stretching routine'.
.


Return to “Implants”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 20 guests