Titan Failed at 3 years

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
BillinAL

Titan Failed at 3 years

Postby BillinAL » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:23 pm

I have not been on the forum for a year or more but felt that I should report that my Titan failed just shy of three years after it was installed. I was in the process of making love with my wife when I felt my penis go slightly softer. I tried to pump it up and the pump bulb went flat. I immediately knew it was broken. The only good thing was I was able to finish making loving before it completely deflated - LOL!

I called Dr. Kramer's office and had a tentative surgery day set by that afternoon. They are very efficient at setting that up.

I have not decided whether to replace the Titan or get an AMS LGX. I have caught up on much of what has been written in the forum in the past year and have watched most of Kramer's revision videos. I believe I have a good understanding of the advantages/disadvantages of both implant brands.

The options he is suggesting is to test the existing Titan reservoir and reuse it and replace cylinders, tubing and pumps if I choose a Titan. If I choose an AMS LGX replacement, there is one part of that that I am not real fond of. He says he is unable to remove (without an additional incision) about 20% of the old reservoirs. If he is unable to remove it, he will make sure it is empty and leave it in place. I would much prefer it be gone. Dr. Kramer says both brands are good devices, but he recommends the AMS - one of the reasons is a near zero percentage chance of infection.

My surgery is scheduled for July 26th so if I decide on a Titan, he wants to know about 48 hours prior. He says no notice is necessary for the AMS since he always has those in stock.

Other than choosing what brand I want for the revision, there are a few other things that are running through my mind. The first is why did the Titan fail at three years. I was disappointed because I certainly expected it to last longer. I have had no issues with the pump or any other indication that something was wrong. I realize a mechanical/hydraulic device is only going to last x number of cycles. The first two years after installation I did pump it up to max at least twice per week in addition to using it for sex 2-3 times per week, but the past year, I have simply used it for sex - I have not cycled it for growth in the past year. Dr. Kramer may be able to shed some light on it when he removes it - at least I will know what component failed.

The other thing that is interesting is what size implant will Dr. Kramer install. I have been satisfied with my size with the current Titan - a 20 cm device with 2 cm rear tips - my penis has been 6.4" in length and 6.0" in circumference at the largest place along the shaft. Dr Kramer says he upsizes in 93% of his revisions which is in line with some of the research posted by members on this forum. I will be fine if he simply matches what I have had.

I have a grown daughter who is very ill so my wife and I would like to return home as soon as practical after the surgery. It is an 11 hour drive (my wife will drive). We plan to return home the day after surgery. I plan to lay down flat on an air mattress in the car for the trip. Dr Kramer says it should be okay to travel the day after surgery by car. I am thinking about leaving the catheter in for convenience till I get home. Has anyone traveled the day after surgery and/or left the catheter in place?

Thanks,
Bill
75 years old, Severe ED since Robotic Prostatectomy in 2010. Titan implanted 2014 by Dr Milam. Titan failed (tubing leak near cylinder) May 2017. Revision by Dr. Kramer on 7/26/17. Replaced cylinders and pump - upsized to 22 cm Titan, 1 cm RTE.

Bigred

Re: Titan Failed at 3 years

Postby Bigred » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Any warranty or do you have to pay for the whole procedure again?
66 YO, Implant 6/7/2017 at University of Maryland by Dr. Andrew Kramer, High Volume Implant And world class surgeon. AMS 700. Great expierence with zero complications.

BillinAL

Postby BillinAL » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Bigred
I really have not checked out the warranty but I think the Titan device cost would be covered if I replace it with a Titan. I am fortunate in that between Medicare and my BCBS the procedure will be covered - my first was covered 100%.

Regards
75 years old, Severe ED since Robotic Prostatectomy in 2010. Titan implanted 2014 by Dr Milam. Titan failed (tubing leak near cylinder) May 2017. Revision by Dr. Kramer on 7/26/17. Replaced cylinders and pump - upsized to 22 cm Titan, 1 cm RTE.

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Both brands have a Lifetime Warranty covering any malfunctioning. As far as I have read, if you change brands, there is a reimbursement procedure that happens in the background, so you as a patient do not need to take any action. The surgeon office/hospital takes care of the transaction.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:50 pm

This is the very first time I have heard of the reimbursement procedure. Very interesting.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:22 pm

alibaba wrote:This is the very first time I have heard of the reimbursement procedure. Very interesting.

Ali,

It is something that happens behind the courtains, between clinicians and the companies. That is how the warranty works. I had access once to the page for Professionals, and saw the document that outlines the "reimbursement" steps. It seems to me more like a tool for them to keep track of the "+" and "-" from the accounting department.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 am

My second Titan failed in just less than 3 years..... Took me less the 3 weeks to get a third one..... IT'S WORTH IT!!!
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Return to “Implants”