Logistics

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Bigred

Logistics

Postby Bigred » Tue May 16, 2017 7:57 pm

I'm gathering medical history to send to Kramer's office. Hoping to get scheduled next month if I get approval from insurance. I live in South Carolina, about 9.5 driving hours from Baltimore. Debating whether to drive or fly. If I fly, it's over 5 hours total with layovers in Atlanta or Charlotte. Have any of you guys made a long drive 3 days after surgery? And any recommendations on cushions or other seat additions to make the ride more pain free.
66 YO, Implant 6/7/2017 at University of Maryland by Dr. Andrew Kramer, High Volume Implant And world class surgeon. AMS 700. Great expierence with zero complications.

Lost Sheep

Re: Logistics

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 pm

I have not had the implant experience, but I think if I were flyinh, I would ask the airlines for a wheelchair for all ground transportatin, ftom curb to gate and especially for that trabsfer between planes.

If I took a car, I would also take a driver. If the driver's schedule did not permit staying during my immediate post-op convalescence, I would consider flying him/her up to Baltimore for just the return trip

I have read enough stories of guys who pushed themselves too hard and thereby delayed their recovery. Besides, driving while using pain killers or drug-free and just in pain is a bad idea.

Think about an emergency braking situation with a painful, swollen groin area.

I hope someone with actual experience posts to supplant my inexperienced opinion soon.

Edit: I you can borrow a motor home, load up the refrigerator with cold packs and lay down for the trip home.

I am REALLY interested in the flight arrangements because (if I can get the VA to cooperate) I will have surgery with Dr. Kramer this year and fly back to Alaska (approximately 13 hours with transfer at Seattle).
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Fly. You're going to be uncomfortable at best. A drive that long could be intolerable.
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

archway

Postby archway » Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 pm

I flew from Atlanta on a Wednesday for pre op visit with Dr Eid . Did some sight seeing Thursday, surgery Friday morning. Spent Friday and Saturday night at a hotel directly across the street from the surgical hospital and flew home Sunday. The flight is 2 hrs, and aside from some minor discomfort, and the inconvenience of the cath bag taped to my leg, I had no issues at all. I suggest this vs a long drive.
Archway 64 years old married 43 yrs
Venous Leak 15 + years Tried everything to no avail
2/2015 Titan 22cm RT 1cm R RTE
Dr Eid NY NY

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 pm

archway wrote:I flew from Atlanta on a Wednesday for pre op visit with Dr Eid . Did some sight seeing Thursday, surgery Friday morning. Spent Friday and Saturday night at a hotel directly across the street from the surgical hospital and flew home Sunday. The flight is 2 hrs, and aside from some minor discomfort, and the inconvenience of the cath bag taped to my leg, I had no issues at all. I suggest this vs a long drive.

I am curious. How long did you have the catheter in? Most reports I have heard suggest removal the day after surgery. Did you have a complication that required the catheter stay in longer??

I know this is off-topic and maybe better for a PM, but I imagine others are wondering the same thing as I am.

Thanks
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Tue May 16, 2017 11:29 pm

as I mentioned in my post regarding "packing list for hotel", the flight home can be super pleasant if you can find a plane with a "flat bed biz class seat". I got one of those for my 6.5 hour flight back to the west coast (from NYC) and it was a delightful experience (just like hanging out in the bed at the hotel).

My timing was:
Tuesday Morning: surgery
Friday Morning: visit to Dr Eid and cath removal
Friday afternoon: 6 hour flight to west coast

Note, I was quite mobile on friday, so no wheelchair was needed for me, and it was no problem to sit in the Uber from Manhattan to Newark international for the hour.

If I was at all scared of the trip home, I suppose staying until saturday would be maybe ok, but the office said that I should fly on Friday (and they were right, since I felt good to fly)

biz class was cool, because they had TANGERINES in my salad -- and I really liked that touch.

TANGERINE

PS: Eid instructed me to keep the catheter in for a total of three days. Catheter did not bother me, and I figured he had some reason (maybe since he was seeing me on Friday and would be taking it out ?). No complications.
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

GiRn56

Postby GiRn56 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:35 pm

I had surgery on Wednesday, flew home on Friday, 2 2 hr flights in the aisle seats, pain Meds and on my back with ice, after I got home, I wasn't going to pay over 200$ a day to lay on my back in New York..have had perfect results, Dr Eid wanted me to keep the catheter 3 days, I protested since I am a nurse. He uses it to keep patients in bed resting, mine came out the morning I flew out, flew thru JFK, no wheelchairs, YMMY...
Severe Degenerative Disc Disease L5-S1
Major Depression
Chronic pain patient and Meds
Titan OTR 20 cm placed 4/12/17 per Dr Eid.

IJN1324

Postby IJN1324 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 am

Bigred wrote:I'm gathering medical history to send to Kramer's office. Hoping to get scheduled next month if I get approval from insurance. I live in South Carolina, about 9.5 driving hours from Baltimore. Debating whether to drive or fly. If I fly, it's over 5 hours total with layovers in Atlanta or Charlotte. Have any of you guys made a long drive 3 days after surgery? And any recommendations on cushions or other seat additions to make the ride more pain free.

Trust me bionic brother to be. You don't want to drive 9+ hours after being implanted. Hellish journey cos you will be in pain, you might still be smarting from the catheter and you will definitely have swollen genitals which any movement in traffic will cause you pain. Be smart, fly and let them know in the plane that you are post op
700 LGX 21+2 Kramer 4.12.17

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Wed May 17, 2017 1:15 am

What part of South Carolina
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:41 am

Bigred wrote:I'm gathering medical history to send to Kramer's office. Hoping to get scheduled next month if I get approval from insurance. I live in South Carolina, about 9.5 driving hours from Baltimore. Debating whether to drive or fly. If I fly, it's over 5 hours total with layovers in Atlanta or Charlotte. Have any of you guys made a long drive 3 days after surgery? And any recommendations on cushions or other seat additions to make the ride more pain free.

I started out for what was supposed to be a 4 hour drive... my wife was driving so I could recline to almost parallel. It turned out to be a 7 hour drive. I was in AGONY when we got home... Don't drive. Get a plane seat that is in the front row of your class of ticket... that way you can stretch out if need be.

Return to “Implants”