Anyone ever get okayed for surgery with low blood counts?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
DonBecker54

Anyone ever get okayed for surgery with low blood counts?

Postby DonBecker54 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:51 pm

I've had leukemia since the beginning of last year. My blood cell counts have been good since I got out of the hospital last June, but over the last few weeks my white cell and platelet counts have dropped. My neutrophil (the white cells that fight infection) are at dangerously low levels. My platelets were below the level allowable for surgery, but have come back up.

Has anyone had surgery before with poor blood counts? I have surgery tentatively scheduled with Dr. Eid at the end of May. I can't wait anymore with this 4" stub that Milam gave me.
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

alibaba

Re: Anyone ever get okayed for surgery with low blood counts?

Postby alibaba » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Mr. Becker, I have had many surgeries with CD4's in the 200 range including the prostatectomy. Most doctors tell me you are at low risk above 200. My first implant was at 300 this latest one I am at a 10 year high of 400. If you doc will go for it, testosterone will raise your red cells and by default your white cells. It takes a little time. One of several reasons I am on T. Good luck to you sir.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:18 pm

I don't think testosterone will do it. My neutrophil count was down to .34 this past week, when it should be 1.8 to 5.2. My platelets were down under 50 for awhile, but are up over 100 now. Normal is I think 150 to 400 or so.

If Dr. Eid is concerned, they could do a platelet infusion. Don't know if he'll go for that. He might be more concerned than usual about infection, since an infection can kill me.
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 pm

There is a drug to raise platelets but I forget what it is called and not cheap. Testosterone raises my platelets and also increases the size of the red blood cells. Some of my doctors did not believe it till I charted it back when I could write my own scripts for lab work and did labs every month. When reviewed by my internist he says T will stimulate the marrow to make red cells and as a by product increase white also but is considered a side effect of T. It is an outside of the box methodology but I can prove it with the labs. My white cells will fall to half what they are now if I stop T for 2 months. Just a suggestion. You and your doctors are the ones who know you and how you react. I do not know if T is even considered an option with leukemia. best wishes to you. Keep us posted.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 am

Well, things got worse, not better. My neutrophil (infection-fighting white cells) count is down to .2 from .35 last week, and my platelets are down to 21 from 77 last week. Normal ranges are 1.8 to 5.2 and 160 to 390 respectively.

I talked to Eid's office this morning, and they can't do the surgery with counts this low, which I already knew. I just have to pray that the counts come up by May 24th, a week before the scheduled surgery.

Dammit. I had a trip to Sicily planned and paid for last year in April. Instead I wound up in the hospital for two months and had to cancel the trip, all because of leukemia. This year I scheduled the trip again, and had to cancel because of the low blood counts from my leukemia. Now I may have to cancel my revision surgery. God hates me.

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:23 pm

We will be having you on our prayers, brother! I am sure many others here will do it, too.

The best for you... always.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Return to “Implants”